Does True internet provide physical address if given ip address?

choochoo

what about saying something about a girl from the drink industry on facebook chat. Seems more than a coincidence she was sitting outside my hotel. I could tell she just came from a service call and it was highly doubtful her customer stayed in the same hotel as me.

I hightailed it out of the hotel as i didnt want to become a member of the flying farang club...............lol.

Maybe more of a case of guilty conscience triggering Paranoia than True revealing an address !

It is not paranoia, they really are after him. With a court order for sure,

but without it also very likely.

• Like 1

what about saying something about a girl from the drink industry on facebook chat. Seems more than a coincidence she was sitting outside my hotel. I could tell she just came from a service call and it was highly doubtful her customer stayed in the same hotel as me.

I hightailed it out of the hotel as i didnt want to become a member of the flying farang club...............lol.

some more of the story we could choochoo over would be a help i think

i learned more about vpn's after the incident. I had it installed i just wasnt using it religiously.

Really, facebook lets you get chat or message ip of the other user. Ive been learning, for example fb keeps track of your own ip activity. Identyfying the other user can be done but it is a bit tricky-.

Im usually considerate of thais but this was my one lapse........and having the girl sitting outside my hotel really got me thinking the worst.

IP addresses, unless you set up a static IP will change... that's the way it works and it makes no difference to the average computer user.

Nothing says 'guilty conscience' like asking if you can be traced though!

'Changes every five minutes??

If i look up my Ip address it shows me almost 30km from where I actually am so not very accurate at times. As noted earlier, say the wrong thing about certain people and a court order will lead the police right to your door...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

IP addresses, unless you set up a static IP will change... that's the way it works and it makes no difference to the average computer user.

Dynamic IP's are normally issued by the ISP (or the domain DHCP controller) for a controllable lease period, that is assuming that you stay connected 24/7. The lease is normally for 96 hours (4 days) and then it will be renewed.

If you shutdown your modem/router (close network connections) then the dynamic IP address will be renewed. However, that said, there are services available that can map dynamic addresses to remain for extended periods, used primarily for fulltime access to a computer or peripheral device from anywhere.

Static addresses are another matter.

In case of criminal activity they will definetely give all available information per court order.

in case of lese majeste they will hunt you down.

When using mobile phone one should crush the thing instantly.

Otherwise they will track the IMSI/SIM down to the cell level (in urban areas they easily find the "block").

From there it is possible to come closer with special equipment.

Criminals are aware of that.

No need for the company itself to release anything.

Easy enough to slip a little something to an employee with access to the customer database.

Same with the cellphone companies, if you let information about where you really live get into a computer system, that information is available to anyone who wants to get it.

Not that hard to avoid either, just think about it and use common sense.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dynamic IP's are normally issued by the ISP (or the domain DHCP controller) for a controllable lease period, that is assuming that you stay connected 24/7. The lease is normally for 96 hours (4 days) and then it will be renewed.

If you shutdown your modem/router (close network connections) then the dynamic IP address will be renewed. However, that said, there are services available that can map dynamic addresses to remain for extended periods, used primarily for fulltime access to a computer or peripheral device from anywhere.

Static addresses are another matter.

Thank-you. <sigh> The point is, they do not change every five minutes. Maybe, if you power your cable modem off & on every five minutes... Normally, there IS a degree of persistency. Then, there's ISP automated log-keeping. Exactly how each ISP configures its logkeeping is going to vary somewhat, but for SOME period of time the logs will provide an accurate timestamp, assigned IP address, MAC or physical address, connection information taken from packet headers, & other information. (Content/payload would require a whole lot of storage, and is NOT kept, but byte count and protocols used probably is.) With this information, the ISP would be able to look up the customer (name & address), and that's even with dynamic addressing and even though the IP address changes. (Yes, it changes, but at any given time - remember, timestamps are part of the logging process - who had what IP address when is on the record.) It doesn't really matter what the lease period is - what the IP was at the time of the packet flow or connection in question is logged and can be used to identify its assignee.

Logs take up space - most ISPs (including VPN providers, by the way) will only keep them for some configured period of time after which they are overwritten with current log data. They're not really kept for purposes of law enforcement, BTW. They're kept for troubleshooting & maintenance, and maybe billing, purposes primarily. But with a court order they'll give up whatever is demanded if they have it. Some countries are (I think) now setting minimum periods for which this data must be retained. Businesses (at least in the states) have much more stringent data retention requirements.

It's the ISPs who have this info. The website you might be visiting and logged into has only your IP (as well, of course, as whatever other information you've given it), but would have to have the cooperation of the ISP in order to obtain your own name & address from it.

If you're a normal residential user, the IP address your ISP gives you - whether static or dynamic - belongs to a block of IPs assigned to that ISP by IANA via LIRs, NIRs, or RIRs. If you do an online look-up of that IP, particularly where DHCP is in use, you're probably only going to get the ISP's information. (But, as I say, the ISP can identify you specifically if asked and cooperates.)

• Like 1