Vonage And Thailand? Calling To The Us For $24.99

bailey020205

I understand that it is, but don't try talking to Vonage customer support about this, because they are all in India and don't really grasp these kinds of concepts.

It should also be noted that Vonage is in deep trouble as a company right now, they went public, they did it poorly and the stock crashed, there are strong rumours they will get bought out by Sprint.

Edited by Thaiquila

I know at least 10 guys here in BKK that have Vonage and it is great...Yes you must get the router shipped to a US address and then bring it to BKK...Also the adapter with it is 110 volt, so leave it in the US and go to Fortune IT and get a replacement 220V....Also need a high speed ADSL line...

They work great

Stoneman

My company gave up on Vonage a year ago because we found many alternate service which are not tied to hardware, offer as good, if not better, service, and more importantly, all the alternates are far cheaper than Vonage. It's no wonder their stock tanked, they are really in big trouble because competition is fierce.

For example, the best known alternate is Skype, which offers free calls througout N. America. I'm not a big fan of it simply because it's not the cheapest and it's not open standard, but it is the most popular. That reason, however, is no basis for selecting it. My favorite is Voipbuster, which offers free calls in dozens of countries around the world including Thailand. Even when you have to pay, you're talking $0.01 per minute usually. Skype and Voipbuster require you deposit E10 into a prepaid account and you draw off that.

One slick new development with Voipbuster (and their spinoff company webcalldirect) is you no longer need a ADSL or high speed connection to use the service. Just enter your # (mobile or landline) and the # you want to call. It will call both numbers and connect you together. There's a E0.03 connect fee, but apart from that you pay regular rate, if it's not free). Connection using this method is excellent since ADSL here in Thailand is pretty laggy. You can go to their website at http://www.webcalldirect.com/ and try the service for free.

Hi. Is it true that I can order Vonage service here in the states and take it to Thailand with me. Plug it into the internet in my New House and Make calls to the US and keep my US number as if I was in the US? More info please! Thanks!

Yes, it is true. I have used Vonage for over a year here and I am very pleased with it. People that do not know my whereabouts that I talk to via Vonage think I am in California (my Vonage number is in CA) until I tell them otherwise.

I like Vonage because you use a regular telephone to communicate. Not a headset and mic like you do with Skype and other software VoIP applications. (With Vonage, your computer doesn't even have to be on.)

The only issue I have had is the phone ringing in the middle of the night from someone who just cannot grasp the concept of world time zones. Thus, I am in the habit of unplugging the phone when I go to bed.

If I do miss a call, I receive the caller's voicemail via email that I can listen to on any PC.

Edited by Rice_King

OK, I have to admit I am a bit slow on understanding Vonage, but I do believe there is another interesting option to use Vonage in Thailand.

WIRELESS PHONE

Vonage sells a wireless phone

http://www.vonage.com/device.php?type=F1000

and what you can do with this is use at home or office if there is a wireless high speed net connection, and also connect from wireless hotspots anywhere they are open. I have a friend in the US who finds these spots all over the place in a big city, and he has dropped his home phone AND cell phone there!

When you get this wireless phone, there is no Vonage box needed in addition, everything Vonage you need is in the phone (but you need a wireless router which is not proprietary to Vonage).

Also, the phone appears to be chargable on US and Thai voltage without using an adapter (if you have one, please confirm) as its designed as a travel phone.

So is anyone using this Vonage wireless phone in Thailand? Would it be any problem to buy a WIRELESS ROUTER to use with a TOT phone line and a TOT DSL setup?

OK, I have to admit I am a bit slow on understanding Vonage, but I do believe there is another interesting option to use Vonage in Thailand.

WIRELESS PHONE

Vonage sells a wireless phone

I hate to sound like a Voipbuster fanboy, but that same wireless phone, or for that matter, any of the many new brands of VOIP phones coming out, can also work just as easily with Voipbuster. The main issue with all these phones is battery consumption is pretty massive. I'm holding out for the GSM/VOIP hybrid.

A lot of people have gotten hooked on Vonage, and it was the best thing going for a long while, but I'd advise people currently on Vonage to look for alternatives. You are almost certain to find a better deal.

Edited by clokwise

Hey

I have used Vonage for over 3 years now and have had great success with them. I have used the system in over 20 countries and have never had any issues, plus you can send faxes over a standard Vonage connection, without any issues. The same cannot be said for Vopibuster/Vopicheap, offered by Finacea SA. Before Vonage included Western Europe in their unlimited calling plan, I used the Computer based voip services and they had call quality issues over 75% of the time, plus they offer no customer service options and almost impossible to use for incoming calls and fax sending.

I suppose if you can't afford the $25 for Vonage unlimited or don't need fax sending, customer service, incoming calling, a host of free value added features and voice calling access without a PC, voipbuster/voipcheap are a reasonable offering at $ 2.50 per month over 6 months.

I also have the Vonage F1000 and the only problem, is that you have to find an unsecure wireless access point to use it or have access to a free secure access point. I have used it in Europe and the USA and it's great. Call quality is outstanding.

Regards

Peter

PS: Bailey, I had already answered this question for you three days ago in your other post and you said you use SkyRocket, is your memory that short ?

Edited by peterjackson

• 4 weeks later...
One slick new development with Voipbuster (and their spinoff company webcalldirect) is you no longer need a ADSL or high speed connection to use the service. Just enter your # (mobile or landline) and the # you want to call. It will call both numbers and connect you together. There's a E0.03 connect fee, but apart from that you pay regular rate, if it's not free). Connection using this method is excellent since ADSL here in Thailand is pretty laggy. You can go to their website at http://www.webcalldirect.com/ and try the service for free.

I signed up for WebCallDirect.com and made my first call to Thailand from the US this evening.

My wife talked for an hour to her sister. When the call was done I checked how much I was charged for the call ....and it came to about 66 cents (1 cents a minute plus 3 cents for the connection)

The nice thing I liked about the service is that you aren't tied to a computer to make a call.

You do need a computer to initiate the call through WebCalls website. Just log in, purchase your minutes (12 dollar minimum) then type in your number and the number you want to call....after that, it's all phone to phone. Your home phone rings, you pick it up and wait while the service dials the Thailand number. You can use any phone to call...home or mobile....or any phone number you happen to have nearby. And you can call a mobile phone number or a landline in Thailand (rates are a little higher for calls to mobile phones in Thailand (currently 2 cents a minute)

I did experience a delay in voice..an echo of sorts, that was a little annoying. At least there was an echo on the US end of the phone. Not sure if this was a problem on my end or with the service.

But all in all, if you want to make cheap phone calls to Thailand (or from Thailand I think)

this is the lowest rates I've seen so far for None PC connected telephone connections.

Beats the calling cards I've been using

Oh, another thing. You have to use up your minutes within 90 days or you'll lose them.

Edited by egeefay

Do you really think that would work calling FROM Thailand? Their rate sheet is really unclear on the origin of the calls, clear only on the destination.

I'm not sure if people in Thailand can use the service to call out of country. I think it would work. I know WebCallDirect is based in Great Britian and I signed up here in the US.

We called Thailand again this morning and used our speaker phone feature. That seemed to take care of the echo problem I was experiencing.

So far We've called landline to landline Thailand for a total of 2 hours and the meter shows I've only spent 1.25 Euros ($1.60) of original 10 Euro purchase. So it seems to be running about 1.25 cents per minute (not including 3 cents activation each time you place a call and including the taxes). If we made a call to a mobile phone in Thailand, the price would be about twice that.

Nice thing I like about WebCallDirect over the calling cards I've been buying is that it's not only a lot cheaper ...but I don't have to dial in access codes, pin number etc.

Also, calls anywhere in Thailand are all the same price...no higher rates for calls outside Bangkok (like on my calling card)

One disadvantage is that you have to initiate the call from any internet connected computer whereas A calling card call can be made from anywhere.

Still, unlike Skype and Vonage, this is not an PC to PC or PC to landline call. This is really a phone to phone call.

I'd be interested to see if anyone in Thailand can call using the service.

Edited by egeefay

Still, unlike Skype and Vonage, this is not an PC to PC or PC to landline call. This is really a phone to phone call.

Please don't associate the Vonage service with calling from a PC. Vonage does NOT require a PC to work. Although it is an option, you do NOT use a headset and microphone to call on Vonage. You use a normal telephone handset of your own choosing which is then connected to the Vonage router. As long as you have a broadband connection, you're in business.

I'm not sure if people in Thailand can use the service to call out of country. I think it would work. I know WebCallDirect is based in Great Britian and I signed up here in the US.

I'd be interested to see if anyone in Thailand can call using the service.

WebCallDirect is one of the VoipBuster brands. The wife and I use the Voipbuster version of that same service here in Thailand, and also agree, it really makes a difference when you are not tied to the quality of your net connection, or a headset for that matter. Finally, my spindthrift father, on dial-up, who won't fork over an extra $10 a month for ADSL, but who gladly paid $30 a month for long distance, now can call his family overseas, effectively for free since we all live in "free" countries. Another cool thing is when my wife needs to call one of her overseas clients, and she's out meeting suppliers, she calls me and asks me to connect her mobile to her client in Namibia or somewhere. Works perfectly. Connect fee is only 3 euro cents. Not a bad deal. I highly recommend it.

BTW, Vonage will not work in either of those scenarios. Vonage, quiet frankly, is just not keeping up with the times, and is looking more and more like a dead dodo. Be suspicious of any service which ties you to a piece of hardware!

Edited by clokwise

I'm interested in VOIPBuster, sounds cool. I've used a Vonage business plan, 49.99/mo. unlimited in/outgoing, free fax line, attached an 800 number 4.99/mo. Use True 1Mb/512Kb high-speed. Perfect for three years now. When I'm in the states, just forward the calls to my cell phone. Also, you get to choose almost any area code. I got a 415 (my company is based in SF) but I got a 212 number also, just because they're almost impossible to get.

clokwise,

Interesting, but as usual with these telephony innovations, I am confused.

WebCallDirect states that US is a "free" service country, and Thailand is only 1 euro cent a minute. They don't say how the originating country fits into it. So we have heard here someone can call FROM the US to Thailand, and get the 1 euro cent rate.

Are you saying that with your Voipbuster (which you say is related to WebCallDirect) you can call FROM Thailand to the US? If so, how would that be charged? Perhaps the same as the other way, as it is a call from a "fee" country to a "free" country?

I would contact WebCallDirect customer service, but that basically doesn't exist (at least if you aren't a customer), and their FAQ is weak.

I signed up for WebCallDirect.com and made my first call to Thailand from the US this evening.

My wife talked for an hour to her sister. When the call was done I checked how much I was charged for the call ....and it came to about 66 cents (1 cents a minute plus 3 cents for the connection)

The nice thing I liked about the service is that you aren't tied to a computer to make a call.

You do need a computer to initiate the call through WebCalls website. Just log in, purchase your minutes (12 dollar minimum) then type in your number and the number you want to call....after that, it's all phone to phone. Your home phone rings, you pick it up and wait while the service dials the Thailand number. You can use any phone to call...home or mobile....or any phone number you happen to have nearby. And you can call a mobile phone number or a landline in Thailand (rates are a little higher for calls to mobile phones in Thailand (currently 2 cents a minute)

I did experience a delay in voice..an echo of sorts, that was a little annoying. At least there was an echo on the US end of the phone. Not sure if this was a problem on my end or with the service.

But all in all, if you want to make cheap phone calls to Thailand (or from Thailand I think)

this is the lowest rates I've seen so far for None PC connected telephone connections.

Beats the calling cards I've been using

Oh, another thing. You have to use up your minutes within 90 days or you'll lose them.

There is something I do not understand about WebCallDirect (or similar services). If one use their PC to initiate a connection between two telephones, this implies that the initiator must 1) have internet connectivity, and 2) have phone service (land line, mobile phone, VoIP).

Most land-line telephone service costs $25 to $50 per month. Mobile phone service in the US costs even more than this. Then you have the costs of the internet access. Where is the savings using WebCallDirect?

I use Vonage with their 500 minute plan ($14.99/month + taxes). Then I use Comcast for my internet access (about $55 per month + taxes). Calls to LOS cost me an additional $0.16/minute. All other calls I make are free (providing I do not exceed my allotment of minutes).

Please break down the costs of your WebCallDirect so I can better understand the cost differences. Thank you.

Edited by Gumballl

Do you really think that would work calling FROM Thailand? Their rate sheet is really unclear on the origin of the calls, clear only on the destination.

I use VOIC Global Broadband Telephone, Platforms supported by Fusion. Small handy portable unit provide virtual access anywhere with hi-speed internet connection without using computer to link up. Like any home analog phones. Present surveys proven it works very well in Thailand & this regions with great quality, sound clarity, no echoes no delays, real time speeches. :D

There are various package plans, either to become distributors or just customers, all unlimited international callings depend to individual choice. Unbelievable as it becomes “calls more pay less” with flat fix monthly rates to choose from. :o

Hi. Is it true that I can order Vonage service here in the states and take it to Thailand with me. Plug it into the internet in my New House and Make calls to the US and keep my US number as if I was in the US? More info please! Thanks!

Re: Vonage And Thailand? Calling To The Us For $24.99

Hi bailey020205,

You may consider VOIC package plan US Plus $27.95 for unlimited calls include cells/mobile to US, Canada & UK landlines. You can plug in make call from anywhere on earth with internet access. Sign up fee is $99 include first month service & distributorship. :o

In my case, I might not need DSL in Thailand, can use dialup instead. So, a home phone line in Thailand is very cheap, so something like WebCallDirect would be excellent if I could initiate the call on my home dialup PC in Thailand, and then use my home phone to call the US.

Of course, not sure if this is really supported yet by WebCallDirect .

Also, another question, programs like WebCallDirect support home phones and mobiles. Here is a twist. Do they calling INTERNET PHONES, like Vonage? My most common call need is to a friend who has only Vonage and high speed net, and no home phone.

Here is a twist. Do they calling INTERNET PHONES, like Vonage? My most common call need is to a friend who has only Vonage and high speed net, and no home phone.

I cannot think of a reason you couldn't. Calling a Vonage customer is just like calling a customer of AT&T, SBC, etc.. There is no difference for the customers / users.

Are there any SMS-Link callback services in Thailand (like WebCallDirect) that you can initiate the call with an SMS rather than being on the web? I know I have seen something like that in the past, but am failing to find anything now. Much easier for initiating the calls when away from the computer.

I've got Vonage, and to be honest, I'm considering switching to SkypeIn, simply because Skype seems to work better for me in Thailand...

Don't get me wrong - I've been receiving calls from my brother with no issues, but when I dial out - I regularly get silence on the line when the phone stops ringing.

I've had no issues with Vonage when using it in Japan or the UK, so I believe it's either a problem with the Internet in Thailand in general (or True in particular, or possibly an incompatibility between the Vonage router and my ADSL modem here - but that wouldn't explain the times when I'v dialled out with no issues...)

It could even be a time of day thing - i.e. calling relatives in the evening (UK time) seems to have far fewer issues than trying to call UK companies (daytime UK) - (late afternoon / evening in Thailand).

Edited by bkk_mike