Are there any vegetarian Thai dishes?

Asianbloke

I was wondering if there are any authentic Thai vegetarian dishes available. When I say that, I am obviously referring to the absence of fish sauce/fish oil/shrimp paste which is otherwise omnipresent in Thai food.

I know of one - Banana Roti (street food) but it isn't an authentic Thai dish.

PS: I am a vegetarian, not a vegan though. I do eat cereals, cheese and other dairy products.

There is Thai vegetarian food (aahaan jae) which meats the OP's criteria. However, it's really more Thai-Chinese than pure Thai (and tastes pretty awful to me). There's also a large range of Thai desserts. However, for Thai savoury food, you'll be very hard pressed to find something that doesn't contain fish sauce or oyster sauce. It's rather like asking for western food without salt.

You will have to specify 'without fish sauce' (mai sai naam pla) & 'without meat' (mai sai neua saat) prior to placing an order.

Unfortunately, a lot of flavoring in Thai food also comes from oyster sauce, especially in the stir-fried dishes.

But all is not lost, most shops will readily prepare veg versions of tom yam, green curry, and tom kha.

Just make sure you remember to specify without fish sauce & meat.

You will have to specify 'without fish sauce' (mai sai naam pla) & 'without meat' (mai sai neua saat) prior to placing an order.

I don't think it's really that simple. Often such instructions will not be relayed to the cook or will simply be ignored. Furthermore, woks aren't washed between dishes, so traces of animal fat or fish sauce will remain.

Look for the yellow vegetarian sign.

vegetarian-dishes-thailand.jpg

Aahaan jae - I can feel my appetite diminishing by the second. It's not only vegetarian (actually vegan), but also doesn't have any "stimulating" ingredients such as onion, garlic, chilli, coriander, many other spices. Drab, drab, drab. About as exciting as traditional, boiled-to-death English vegetables.

I can't answer your question directly but you may just have to try the various vegetarian restaurants wherever you are until you find those that cater to your needs. I haven't looked at one in years, but Nancy Chandler's maps for Bangkok and Chiang Mai used to mark vegetarian restaurants with a V on the maps. She also updates new restaurants and one's that have closed down on her website, with vegetarian restaurants included. The happycow website may be of some help to find vegetarian restaurants in various locations throughout Thailand. I found a fair bit of info just doing a search on Google for Vegetarian Bangkok or Thailand. One blog I found interesting was from Auckland, and she had some interesting things to say about her short term stay looking for vegan food in Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai.

I don't think it's really that simple. Often such instructions will not be relayed to the cook or will simply be ignored. Furthermore, woks aren't washed between dishes, so traces of animal fat or fish sauce will remain.

Exactly.. The last vegetarian pad-thai i ordered was smelling so fishy that i could not eat it..That was a few years ago, since then i eat at home.

You will have to specify ... 'without meat' (mai sai neua saat) prior to placing an order.

sàt (notice the low, short vowel - not long) specifically means quadruped (animal having four feet), so excludes chicken, fish, ants (with 6 legs) and spider/scorpions (with 8).

I think some people can get quite creative when it comes to eating out. I remember reading about an American of Chinese origin visiting China on business. He had had heart disease and was put on a strict, low fat, plant based diet by his medical doctor. Anyhow, he was saying that when visiting this restaurant in China, he ordered steamed rice and steamed mixed green vegetables along with it. He asked the waiter to make sure there was no oil in the dish. So what happens? The meal comes to the table the greens all glistening with cooking oil. Instead of getting upset about it, he just politely asked for two bowls of warm water be brought to his table. He then dipped each piece of vegetable into the two bowls of water before eating.

• 2 weeks later...

Common it's easy!

You don't have to go Chinese Jae MSG crap

Happy cow website will guide you

http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/searchmap.php

- Buddhist Vegans : much healthier than Chinese :

+Chatuchat: A huge Foodcourt with dozen of stalls to chose from open 6 days aweek

+Bangkapi A whole street dedicated to vegan food and health stores

+ Any Protest site: You get free / very cheap organic vegan Thai food,meaning ALL traditional Thai dishes are translated into vegan healthier version,ie less oil and sugar, no msg.

- Veggie food for Farangs: Check Happy Cow,you have many restaurants in BKK alone Also behind Khao Sarn Road you have a whole street dedicated to vegetarian food. The most famous one is Makaidee You can even take vegetarian Thai cooking classes which are reknown and really good