Final questions before coming to thailand next week

orcasmarx

There is plenty of non thai food inChaing Mai

One reason I enjoyed it so much.

A great little health food shop for breakfast and lunch too.

I would like to hear more about reasonably priced but nice condos in chaing mai so I can avoid hotel life there, if I return

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost forgot I still do not know what acco is.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Acco, just means short for accomadation.

Please don't listen to the guy, he thinks it's still the first of April, or still drunk. Seems to be accommodation.

I don't know CM at all but I would guess that THB5,000 a month for a one bedroomed apartment is sort of "cloud cuckoo land".

Yes, no need to spend that much, can get a nice house for that.

Or what I and any normal Thai would call a nice house.

Some people really do live in a cloud.

OP, you'll be fine living on USD 2000 total per month in CM as long as you're not a big partier. Girls and alcohol would be more than the total rest of your budget if you're inclined that way, I know guys that blow 2,000 a week just on that.

Especially since you've lived in less-developed countries before.

Just do pay attention to the health-care issue, travel insurance is quite cheap to cover an emergency, at least for the first six months, just make sure you read the fine print, maybe ask in the relevant forum here for recommendations.

Everything depends on your willingness to compromise "western living standards", the more you learn to live like the locals - especially valuable to learn the language - the less you need to live on.

But I agree with the others,you really should have a six-month emergency fund - 10K at the low end. And NEVER dip into it except for your OWN personal emergencies.

That might mean having to let your new-love's mother die when she needs an operation.

• Like 2

If I was you I would sign up to get a FairFX card and load it with a few thousand dollars before you go .

You can then use it as a credit card or draw out cash at an ATM .

It works out cheaper than using a card from home and you will not be charged for drawing out cash or purchasing anything else with it from your bank.

FairFx takes about 150 Bht per transaction

You can also top up your card on line from your bank and they will not charge you for it.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

My question is why would someone would chose to settle in one the most polluted city of the world?

Do you hate your lungs?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9175667/Thailand-pollution-puts-Chiang-Mai-off-the-tourist-trail.html

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/544025/20140319/world-top-10-polluted-cities-ludhiana.htm

World’s 10 Most Polluted Cities

1) Ahvaz, Iran 372 mcg/m3 (2009 data)

2) Ulan Bator, Mongolia 279 mcg/m3 (2008 data)

3) Sanandaj, Iran 254 mcg/m3 (2009 data)

4) Ludhiana, India (2008 data) and Quetta, Pakistan (2003/4 data) tied at 251 mcg/m3

5) Kermanshah, Iran 229 mcg/m3 (2009 data)

6) Peshawar, Pakistan 219 mcg/m3 (2003/4 data)

7) Gaborone, Botswana 216 mcg/m3 (2005 data)

8) Yasuj, Iran 215 mcg/m3 (2009 data)

9) Kanpur, India 209 mcg/m3 (2008 data)

10) Lahore, Pakistan 200 mcg/m3 (2003/4 data)

Fine particulate dust levels have sometimes been tested between 190 micrograms and 243 micrograms per cubic meter. (The standard acceptable level in Thailand is 120 milligrams per cubic meter, while the World Health Organization acceptable level is 50 milligrams per cubic meter.[47])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai#Air_pollution

Increased levels of fine particles in the air as a result of anthropogenic particulate air pollution "is consistently and independently related to the most serious effects, including lung cancer[40] and other cardiopulmonary mortality."[

What a great place to spend your retirement! Building up your lung cancer ... nice

Self sufficient woman in Thailand?

Code for ugly.

i don't really understand your point

are you saying there's a negative correlation between the salary and beauty of Thai females?

or are you suggesting there is something implicitly unattractive about career minded women?

i'm not disagreeing with you, just don't really know what you are talking about

If I was you I would sign up to get a FairFX card and load it with a few thousand dollars before you go .

You can then use it as a credit card or draw out cash at an ATM .

It works out cheaper than using a card from home and you will not be charged for drawing out cash or purchasing anything else with it from your bank.

FairFx takes about 150 Bht per transaction

You can also top up your card on line from your bank and they will not charge you for it.

Hope this helps

Watch out for the exchange rates though.

Best is to make sure all the back-home accounts are working OK via the Internet, sign up for ATMs like Schwab that refund foreign ATM fees.

Then as soon as you get here sign up with Bangkok Bank and start ACH domestic transfers (NOT international wires) into your BBK account via their New York branch.

Can in many cases come pretty darn close to FREE and decent exchange rates to boot.

Self sufficient woman in Thailand?

Code for ugly.

i don't really understand your point

are you saying there's a negative correlation between the salary and beauty of Thai females?

or are you suggesting there is something implicitly unattractive about career minded women?

i'm not disagreeing with you, just don't really know what you are talking about

Yes and yes.

But that's just me.

i have been following the postings on here, me personnely doing some costings, i have seen a brand new house in chiang mai un furnished for 7,000, and also a 3 bed 2 bath, use of pool -gardens to front and rear - a gym -clubhouse - furnished, all for the grand sum of 15,000 baht, when i see what my 1 bed flat in uk is 27,000 baht (rent and poll tax) also wwhen i move, no car to pay for no motorbike (or maybe later) i have an income of 53,000 a month,i am coming over this month to sus things out, but i am swaying towards chon buri, ?? any thoughts on that,i am staying in BKK for 1 month (visit no. 4) so what is the going rate for health insurance, i was told about 70,000 baht a year any thoughts please, and sorry to have hi-jacked this theme but replies could be helpful to the first poster also

I assume you've been doing your "research" online - don't bother, anything advertised is going to be above the real market price. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/716280-how-to-search-for-cheap-rentals-mostly-for-houses/

And don't commit to ANYWHERE until you've checked out at least a half-dozen places that you think might suit you.

You have to look yourself, even if you post all your likes/dislikes no one else can really tell you how a place will strike you.

Get quotes locally for travel insurance, even very cheap policies cover the first six months.

• Like 1

You are going to be eaten alive by the Thai culture...Thais can quickly spot a newbie...then the fun begins...they sit around after you have dropped twice as much baht as necessary...and laugh at your naiveté...best to befriend a seasoned veteran from your own country right away...and ask lots of questions...especially concern how much to pay for just about everything...every transaction is an opportunity to scam you out of your baht...No I am not kidding...

are you coming with less than ten grand?

if so, stay home

I have stayed in Thailand for 4 months on £3500 that was 6 years ago but if you are careful you can survive but that's all it is.

Thailand is not the place to be, if you are just scrapping by.

It implies the person would be in low end housing, and eventually that leads to every crime on the books.

I had a guy in Chaing Mai tell me a ladyboy knocked on his door and tried to rape his roomate.

I of course said the roomate was probably already involved with the alleged raper, and he/she/it didnt want to take no for an answer that night,

is this who you want as your neighbors?

Based on the responses here, Thailand and Chiang Mai has been hit with pre WW 2 Wiemar Republic levels of hyperinflation based on a TV post not even a year old called Monthly Costs For A Single Person? asserting $1000 USD/month is doable if a single man thinks with big head instead of little one. TV Expats here trying to scare off new potential expats?

Edited by BohemianDaddyo

Based on the responses here, Thailand and Chiang Mai has been hit with pre WW 2 Wiemar Republic levels of hyperinflation based on a TV post not even a year old called Monthly Costs For A Single Person? asserting $1000 USD/month is doable if a single man thinks with big head instead of little one. TV Expats here trying to scare off new potential expats?

What they got was balloon finance, on cars and homes, which raised their standards of living, but enslaved them all to debt, if they partook

Are you in Chaing Mai?

I played twice at Boy's Blues Bar, in the night bazaar, for fun

the female co-owner and her friend can really sing their hearts out

I don't know CM at all but I would guess that THB5,000 a month for a one bedroomed apartment is sort of "cloud cuckoo land".

Sorry.

Yup you dont know, so why are you even posting?

You can find houses at very good prices. We have a factory in the middle of nowhere smack in the middle of farm land. I rented a house not far from the factory so when I go visit the factory I didn't have to find a hotel each time. It was a two bedroom nice clean place for 1000B a month. I live in Surin, my sister-in-law has a nice little two bedroom house with aircon. She lives in Belgium now and rents her house for 2000B a month. I rented a 2 bedroom townhouse in BKK around Thong Lor for 6000B a month. Get out and look around as there are deals to be found. Your income of 60K Baht a month you will be ok. Not going to live the high life but you can be comfortable.

As mentioned keep you wits about you. The girls here can take you for a ride. There are some really nice girls in Thailand, but there are some real hard core girls that can and will take every dime from you. I've been living in Thailand 20 years and seen allot. You are going to hear all kinds of wild tales, some will be true and some not. Some guys come here and start doing stupid things they would never do back home and then are surprised when they have no money left. So be careful dont believe everything you are told, learn to negotiate when buying things.

Hope you enjoy Thailand and good luck!

• Like 1

Sorry.

You can find houses at very good prices. We have a factory in the middle of nowhere smack in the middle of farm land. I rented a house not far from the factory so when I go visit the factory I didn't have to find a hotel each time. It was a two bedroom nice clean place for 1000B a month. I live in Surin, my sister-in-law has a nice little two bedroom house with aircon. She lives in Belgium now and rents her house for 2000B a month. I rented a 2 bedroom townhouse in BKK around Thong Lor for 6000B a month. Get out and look around as there are deals to be found. Your income of 60K Baht a month you will be ok. Not going to live the high life but you can be comfortable.

As mentioned keep you wits about you. The girls here can take you for a ride. There are some really nice girls in Thailand, but there are some real hard core girls that can and will take every dime from you. I've been living in Thailand 20 years and seen allot. You are going to hear all kinds of wild tales, some will be true and some not. Some guys come here and start doing stupid things they would never do back home and then are surprised when they have no money left. So be careful dont believe everything you are told, learn to negotiate when buying things.

These houses and townhouses are indeed available, I looked at several in bkk and a few in Chaing Mai,

but they were all unfurnished and thus, unsuitable for a man on a tourist visa.

I do agree there is value toi be found,

preparing to live like that longn term was my issue,

so I opted for a fully furnished, two year old house, complete with gate and security, already occupied by a very pretty 32 year old female, who had a car and could take us anywhere we wanted to go.

Full time? different story, but for 4-6 months, established, up and running and fully furnished is the way to go, for sure

• Like 1

Sorry.

These houses and townhouses are indeed available, I looked at several in bkk and a few in Chaing Mai,

so I opted for a fully furnished, two year old house, complete with gate and security, already occupied by a very pretty 32 year old female, who had a car and could take us anywhere we wanted to go.

Full time? different story, but for 4-6 months, established, up and running and fully furnished is the way to go, for sure

i know a guy from uk who spends 6 months here ,few months back in the uk and another 6 in thailand

he actually rents a differnt apartment every time ,unfurnished of semi furnished

goes on craigslist etc ,buys all the 2nd hand furniture he needs and a motorbike and sells it all 6 months later

usually at the same price ,sometimes even at a profit

i could never be bothered with the hassle but if you look hard enough there is thai people selling everything you could

ever need on the 2nd hand market for maybe 1/3rd -1/2 of its original value

tables ,chairs ,lamps,tvs ,fridges ,laptops ,scooters ,rent a pickup for a day or two and you can drive around collecting it all or ask them to deliver (most thais will have a relative with a pick-up if it means they get paid something and its a lot easier/cheaper for them to organise stuff than it would be for you )

Sorry.

i know a guy from uk who spends 6 months here ,few months back in the uk and another 6 in thailand

he actually rents a differnt apartment every time ,unfurnished of semi furnished

goes on craigslist etc ,buys all the 2nd hand furniture he needs and a motorbike and sells it all 6 months later

usually at the same price ,sometimes even at a profit

i could never be bothered with the hassle but if you look hard enough there is thai people selling everything you could

ever need on the 2nd hand market for maybe 1/3rd -1/2 of its original value

tables ,chairs ,lamps,tvs ,fridges ,laptops ,scooters ,rent a pickup for a day or two and you can drive around collecting it all or ask them to deliver (most thais will have a relative with a pick-up if it means they get paid something and its a lot easier/cheaper for them to organise stuff than it would be for you )

The entire 6 months there, I never even thought of craigslist

I moved here permanently (1 way ticket from Chicago - BKK) 7 months ago & delt w/ all your concerns

1. your plan to enter on BKK on a 30 day on- arrival & then to vientain for a double entry is good, but if time permits, why not get a double entry from usa b-4 trip?

2. tourist visa i have been on all along is 60 days & 30 day extension (x2 if 2 entry) & you can get the 30 day extension locally in CM or chiang rai w/ its new immigration office. it costs 1900b for the extension, so same price as 1st 60 days, but travel expenses are minimal. i took taxi from my place to immigration office (writen in thai for driver) , had him wait, & return to my place 35 min later for 140baht.

3.you should get an international policy medical insurance to cover you from ex- usa for at least 3- 5 months to give you time to get local policy. BUPA is best but they want healthy people. try them for 1st policy & then transfer is easy. I am very heavy w/ high BP (ie a normal wisconsin big boy) & still got health insurance here for 34,000 b/ yr (had to pay year premium up front).

4. you need to travel around to see where you want to live. chiang mai is not as i saw it doing business here 25 years ago. too big for me now. i moved to chiang rai because i feel safe driving a scooter here - not in CM. cars are expensive. brand new scooter is 50,000 b plus (80,000 if you want a 150cc honda that is the ferang standard). I have a nice studio apt w. bath & washing machine, outdoor pool - rent with all utilities, good HD cable & HS internet is under 10,000b/ mo. this is not where you need to save $

5. i do not cook so eat out almost all meals at better places in town budget 500b / day is OK, even if you eat 60% western meals - real fried eggs & baccon bkfst, etc. , but this is 50% more than rent, and i drink little now & spend less on bar girls. Listen to guys, you can blow it all by going wild - spring break for 60 yr olds.

6. tell your bank about your plans & make sure you have email with a manager there if any problems - cheaper than phone calls. they can / will consider charges over here a stolen card unless you prepare them. open an account with Bangkok Bank here asap. i did it my 2nd day here. they have a branch in NYC so wires to yourself are simple & cheap. they are also used by the US govt for all their payments (SS, military pensions, etc). using the atm with your USA card works once your bank accepts 1st transaction, but exchange rate & fees are not as good as sending over $10 - 15K usd to your bank here & using a thai bank debit card - 15 b fee for withdrawal to limit - mine is 25,000 b so i just take that out monthly & keep it at home.

finally, look around to see if you want the hot south w/ beaches, or up north. good luck. best move i ever made & i am over 60.

• Like 2

I moved here permanently (1 way ticket from Chicago - BKK) 7 months ago & delt w/ all your concerns

1. your plan to enter on BKK on a 30 day on- arrival & then to vientain for a double entry is good, but if time permits, why not get a double entry from usa b-4 trip?

2. tourist visa i have been on all along is 60 days & 30 day extension (x2 if 2 entry) & you can get the 30 day extension locally in CM or chiang rai w/ its new immigration office. it costs 1900b for the extension, so same price as 1st 60 days, but travel expenses are minimal. i took taxi from my place to immigration office (writen in thai for driver) , had him wait, & return to my place 35 min later for 140baht.

3.you should get an international policy medical insurance to cover you from ex- usa for at least 3- 5 months to give you time to get local policy. BUPA is best but they want healthy people. try them for 1st policy & then transfer is easy. I am very heavy w/ high BP (ie a normal wisconsin big boy) & still got health insurance here for 34,000 b/ yr (had to pay year premium up front).

4. you need to travel around to see where you want to live. chiang mai is not as i saw it doing business here 25 years ago. too big for me now. i moved to chiang rai because i feel safe driving a scooter here - not in CM. cars are expensive. brand new scooter is 50,000 b plus (80,000 if you want a 150cc honda that is the ferang standard). I have a nice studio apt w. bath & washing machine, outdoor pool - rent with all utilities, good HD cable & HS internet is under 10,000b/ mo. this is not where you need to save $

5. i do not cook so eat out almost all meals at better places in town budget 500b / day is OK, even if you eat 60% western meals - real fried eggs & baccon bkfst, etc. , but this is 50% more than rent, and i drink little now & spend less on bar girls. Listen to guys, you can blow it all by going wild - spring break for 60 yr olds.

6. tell your bank about your plans & make sure you have email with a manager there if any problems - cheaper than phone calls. they can / will consider charges over here a stolen card unless you prepare them. open an account with Bangkok Bank here asap. i did it my 2nd day here. they have a branch in NYC so wires to yourself are simple & cheap. they are also used by the US govt for all their payments (SS, military pensions, etc). using the atm with your USA card works once your bank accepts 1st transaction, but exchange rate & fees are not as good as sending over $10 - 15K usd to your bank here & using a thai bank debit card - 15 b fee for withdrawal to limit - mine is 25,000 b so i just take that out monthly & keep it at home.

finally, look around to see if you want the hot south w/ beaches, or up north. good luck. best move i ever made & i am over 60.

How on earth does a Wisconsin boy find himself living, overnight in Chaing Rai?

I was just in Madison last week, walking by the Capital bldg, in 17 degree weather,

I felt my lips chap on the spot after walking the third block, and I could not feel my nose

I went to the Chaing Rai immigration office, in front of the detention center

If you are from the US contact First Republic Bank in NYC. They have a website and phone numbers to contact. If you keep $3500 in the bank they will reimburse ALL ATM fees at the end of the month. I use them and can transfer money from my Wells Fargo Acct to FRB for nothing in the US and then can access any ATM at ANY Thai ATM or for that matter anywhere in the world and have the ATM charge refunded.

ATMs in Thailand give you Baht.

You might want to notify your bank of your plans, just to insure your bank is aware that you will be using atm's overseas for cash withdraw

You have to file a Travel Notice with your credit card banks and your ATM issuing bank/s before you leave. This is easy to do by calling the number on the back of the card, or (sith some banks) online. But I do suggest that you actually call them directly to make sure. If you do not then your charges/usage might be declined. But remember that each issuing bank has different policies regarding the amount of time that they will allow for such notices. Most will give you 3 months some more. But just make sure that you tell them how long you will be away and that they mark your records. Yes, you might have to contact them again at the end of 3 months to tell them that you are still away by phone... but usually you will not have to as long as they have no questions or there has been any reported activity on your account that you have not red flagged.

I had a guy in Chaing Mai tell me a ladyboy knocked on his door and tried to rape his roomate.

I of course said the roomate was probably already involved with the alleged raper, and he/she/it didnt want to take no for an answer that night,

is this who you want as your neighbors?

Nothing to do with cheap housing, no where in Thailand is 1/10th as dangerous as any densely populated area stateside.

First of all likely a tall tale for the wide-eyed noob. Second of all if true - very unlikely - then as you say due to WHO you hang out with not how much you spend.

Farang get themselves into these jams all the time, but by being idiots. Especially in farang-ghettos like Pattaya and Patong.

• Like 2

If you are from the US contact First Republic Bank in NYC. They have a website and phone numbers to contact. If you keep $3500 in the bank they will reimburse ALL ATM fees at the end of the month. I use them and can transfer money from my Wells Fargo Acct to FRB for nothing in the US and then can access any ATM at ANY Thai ATM or for that matter anywhere in the world and have the ATM charge refunded.

ATMs in Thailand give you Baht.

Sounds good, and the comment aboutbangkok bank having a n.y. branch!

I paid $15.00 everytime I needed cash from my American Mastercard debit..Only Bankok bank and K Band could do it, but Bangkok Bank could do it anywhere..

International fee..Takes a special reader, only B.B. had..And K. Bank main branch, by the Airport expensive mall.

We paid in Chaing Mai at the Maakro..costco for locals only..2000-25000 bahy for two eating, Yogurt, Juices,Fish and Mancut..Mangosteen! Coming back into season..Eating at food stalls might be cheaper..

Some beautful,inexpensive, Rural stories about cheap living on this thread, thanks guys for sharing..

We had a local lady who had a Maakro card, and was a great driver..Driving in Chaing Mai is very difficult for us Right side drivers, it's not Ireland!

Awesome posts, Aloha