Buying Nissan GTR

The roads in Bangkok are shite, ok, not Jomtien 2nd road shite but still pretty awful. Expressways are ok but take a trip up Sukhumvit from Asoke and try dodging the sunken man hole covers. 

With the entire city sinking it will get worse before it gets better. 

everybody knows suckwit is the worst road to drive so why even try? it doesnt even have a single overpass yet so whats the point excep between tuesday mornings between 4.30-4.45 where red lights mean green for the few super cars and taxis that made it through the nite 5555

Edited by worldfun

Im thinking about begin to spend the summer months (May-Aug) in Europe in stead of here in Thailand and buy me a new GTR or a 1-2 year old Porsche 997 Turbo Cab to play with over there. The weather here sucks anyway at that time.

Edited by TramsRepus

for 6 million baht, i would rent one for 2 months (200k i guess), and after I got bored of bottoming out, sitting in traffic, realizing it won't help me get laid, I spend 1+ million on a new truck and keep 5 million in the bank. 

Tell me any other super car in the same price range that has the same or close to the same performance of this legend?

BMW M3 with a compressor kit :)

A Nissan GTR could be a pleasant experience in Thailand. Its not super low. Should be OK as a daily driver. You should only use Benzine 95, which is widely available. I cannot say anything about reliability, but there is plenty of people who know theese cars, and can maintain them. Parts are generally much cheaper than German cars. 
Forget about Nissan Service centers.. 
Edited by mortenaa

A Nissan GTR could be a pleasant experience in Thailand. Its not super low. Should be OK as a daily driver. You should only use Benzine 95, which is widely available. I cannot say anything about reliability, but there is plenty of people who know theese cars, and can maintain them. Parts are generally much cheaper than German cars. 
Forget about Nissan Service centers.. 

I remember a couple of years back. Nissan Thailand's website actually officially listed the GTR for sale.

Thats why i was wondering if they provide service to GTR but i guess the answer is no.

• 3 months later...

Actually I agree about it 100%, just go for it. Everybody which complains about the roads are perhaps living somewhere in Isaan.

In BKK,Hua Hin,Chonburi and Pattaya the main roads are quite good and can drive quite ok.

Drive myself a Benz Coupe since a couple of months but a GTR would be damn nice, however I would prefer a Boxter or Cayman for that budget but thats imo.

To the OP, just go for it en enjoy!

What?? BKK? Seriously? Not really......

I really like cars and spent a lot of money for my passion, but here in LOS I´m getting tired of it. Driving is just not what it used to be and I seriously wonder if my Bimmers were a good idea.

Maybe I´ll just get a Tuna and stop thinking about cars coffee1.gif sad.png

AXA even didn´t want to insure my Z4. My 320d has MSIG, they also didn´t want my Z4. I wanted to change from Falcon which BMW set up for us with the purchase.

Edited by I knew this would happen

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine just picked up a black edition and he loves it.  Once off Phuket, driving can be quite fun.

Can u ask ur friend where and what kind of insurance he has on his GTR? Seems like most insurance companies don't want to insure the car :(

This is the reply I got from Bangkok Insurance:
Thank you for interesting in our insurance.
However, were sorry but we cant insure a Nissan GTR 2010. Because we have problem about repairing.

Second hand I'd say, thai super car owners drive them very little, so you'll probablt be able to pick up a 5 year old with 10 or 15k km on it.

Service is not done by Nissan, they dont sell the car, they are all grey imports. But as with any car, they can be serviced.

Daily driver, why ever not. Fuel it will eat almost anything, the computers on board will adjust so you will probably lose some power but what the heck, you wont notice it. If you plan on tracking it you can always buy proper fuel like 98 or 102 ron.

Tires are a bit troublesome to get, they use the Dunlop or Bridgestone runflats specifically made for this car, but can be replaced by non rft's but better stick to proper brand in that case.

The bigger grey importers will be able to service them, but you'll have to wait for parts to be flown in from singapore.

I dont see too many issues, would look at a second hand R8 though......

Cheers and good luck, let us know if you buy one and we meet on track for shaking it down....

hak

if you got the cash, by all means go for it. Like many have said, its a good value for what you are getting. The later generation has reliable transmission that won't go bust, as long as you avoid early gen GTR (2007 to 2009)  you should be good. Many big grey market importers will service it, but watch out for the costs, some dealers can be ridiculous with part prices so compare compare compare. There is a GTR Thailand facebook page and GTR club in Thailand, if you do get a car be sure to check them out.

Roads in Bangkok are pretty good, I would say in come cases better than those of big cities in the states such as LA, New York, and Chicago where pot holes are twice as deep. If you have to complain about traffic and navigating small Sois you need to brush up your skills.

Thailand is one the few countries in Asia where you can actually let your supercar stretch its legs without worry about speed cameras and police (of course do it safely and not drive like a nut head).

If you think the GTR is too expensive here, perhaps you can opt for an Audi TTRS, fun little pocket rocket ( around 3 million used).

Traffic is indeed horrible, I find myself taking the public transportation more around the city nowadays, beats being stuck in traffic and keep on thinking what if I took the bts or mrt.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Second hand I'd say, thai super car owners drive them very little, so you'll probablt be able to pick up a 5 year old with 10 or 15k km on it.

Service is not done by Nissan, they dont sell the car, they are all grey imports. But as with any car, they can be serviced.

Daily driver, why ever not. Fuel it will eat almost anything, the computers on board will adjust so you will probably lose some power but what the heck, you wont notice it. If you plan on tracking it you can always buy proper fuel like 98 or 102 ron.

Tires are a bit troublesome to get, they use the Dunlop or Bridgestone runflats specifically made for this car, but can be replaced by non rft's but better stick to proper brand in that case.

The bigger grey importers will be able to service them, but you'll have to wait for parts to be flown in from singapore.

I dont see too many issues, would look at a second hand R8 though......

Cheers and good luck, let us know if you buy one and we meet on track for shaking it down....

hak

Do you track your car? Where do you go? We should go together! :D