Social Security In Thailand? What's The Deal?

bailey020205

Hi. My grandmother is wanting to move with me to Thailand. She called the Social Security office today and they told her she would not be able to continue her Social Security if she moved to Thailand for more than 30 days? My cousin who has visited Thailand on and off for the last 7 years has talked to several people who say they have lived in Thailand for over 10 to 15 years collecting Social Security.

What is the secret? How would we need to go about making sure my grandmother doesn't lose her social security?

Thanks!

Perhaps you could be more specific as to this being US? Type of assistance or payment she receives? Do not believe there is a problem with normal old age payments as there is even a direct deposit option offered. But other programs may not be available. She will not have medicare so health insurance is another area to consider.

That is 100 percent WRONG.

Either your granny is confused, or she spoke to an idiot, or who knows?

Help your grans make the call and demand to speak to a supervisor until you receive S A T I S F A C T I O N.

However, she is entitled to ZIPPO, NADA, BUPKIS as far as MEDICARE benefits abroad, and this might be a great reason for her to stay home!

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html#what

Your grandmother may or may not be right; you don't provide enough information to be sure.

Generally, the answer from Social Security is wrong. However, there are some exceptions. If your grandmother is drawing on someone else's account and she is a resident alien, she may not be able to draw benefits outside the US. If she is drawing on her own account or if she is a US citizen, she should be able to draw her benefits anywhere.

Your grandmother may or may not be right; you don't provide enough information to be sure.

Generally, the answer from Social Security is wrong. However, there are some exceptions. If your grandmother is drawing on someone else's account and she is a resident alien, she may not be able to draw benefits outside the US. If she is drawing on her own account or if she is a US citizen, she should be able to draw her benefits anywhere.

You are right, there are exceptions. I had assumed she was the standard type of US citizen client.

she has been retired collecting SS for about 15+ years. It is from her not drawing it from someone else. It gets direct deposited to her account every month. She called today and they told her Thailand was a country she could not live in for more than 30 days. They said after 30 days or if they notice she is drawing money from Thailand they will stop her SS. If you need to know specific info ask and ill ask her and post her answer. Thanks!

she has been retired collecting SS for about 15+ years. It is from her not drawing it from someone else. It gets direct deposited to her account every month. She called today and they told her Thailand was a country she could not live in for more than 30 days. They said after 30 days or if they notice she is drawing money from Thailand they will stop her SS. If you need to know specific info ask and ill ask her and post her answer. Thanks!

Did she draw on her own earnings (did she work for many years in the US) or on her husband's earnings? Not sure if this makes a difference though if both citizens. There are some very few countries where it is a problem, including Cambodia. Thailand is not one of them. I suggest you have her call back another day and just speak to another agent. Something is fishy about this.

I have been drawing my SS for several years. I was in Thailand when I applied for my benefits. So, I know that you can draw SS here.

The only thing I can think of that would be a problem for your grandmother is if she is not a US citizen. There are limits on payments to non-citizens who do not live in the US.

You should check the SS website: www.ssa.gov. That site has a lot of information in reasonably understandable language.

If you have questions that the website doesn't answer, try calling the US embassy in Manila. The Veterans Affairs office there handles SS matters for southeast asia.

Edited by lanny

What happens to your right to Social Security payments when you are outside the U.S.?

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the U.S. as long as you are eligible for them.

Source

Oh come on people.

Stop encouraging this wind up artist.

First he's worried about being looked down upon cos he might be white and rich. Next he's concerned that his friends dogs might get eaten, and now we learn he's looking for advice to bring his lovely old grannie with him to live in LOS.

for the love of god . .

Oh come on people.

Stop encouraging this wind up artist.

First he's worried about being looked down upon cos he might be white and rich. Next he's concerned that his friends dogs might get eaten, and now we learn he's looking for advice to bring his lovely old grannie with him to live in LOS.

for the love of god . .

umm first of all im not rich I was asking a question because I know if someone moved into my neighborhood that didn't speak English and drove a better car than me and seemed to have lots of money it would draw some attention to him. Second the dog thing was not a question from me but a co worker and I was proving a point and last get a life. don't rad forums and post just so you can make an arse of yourself. Good day.

I think it is sweet you want to bring your Granny! Does she like to eat hot chile peppers?

Alot of people in the US do think Asians eat dogs, there is no denying that, and lets face it, some Asians do eat dogs, seems to be more common in Vietnam and the Phillipines.

Hi. My grandmother is wanting to move with me to Thailand. She called the Social Security office today and they told her she would not be able to continue her Social Security if she moved to Thailand for more than 30 days? My cousin who has visited Thailand on and off for the last 7 years has talked to several people who say they have lived in Thailand for over 10 to 15 years collecting Social Security.

What is the secret? How would we need to go about making sure my grandmother doesn't lose her social security?

Thanks!

:o

There are a number of U.S. retirees living in Thailand and collecting social security retirement. Your grandmother should be able to collect.

I think it was mentioned that she is having social security direct deposited to her bank? If so,this should not change if she moves to Thailand. She may be able to use her bank ATM card to make withdrawls in Thailand, but expect to pay a fee for each ATM transaction. Depends on the bank and ATM card, some might not be recognized in Thailand, but most of the large banks in U.S. are recognized. ATM card use is eaier in Bangkok.

Alternatively, she can establish a bank accout in Thailand and have a monthly transfer of funds to that account from her U.S. bank account. I have an account with Bangkok Bank to which I have funds transfered monthly from a small U.S. bank. The U.S. bank may require a monthly notification request, and may need a verifcation request for transfer to be kept of file. The U.S. bank will be able to tell her what paperwork it needs to establish a monthly transfer. The smaller banks (like mine) tend to need more paperwork before they will approve a transfer.

If she is recieving a check via mail, the social security will not mail internationally.

The solution is to establish with the U.S. embassy that she is residing in Thailand. The U.S. embessy consular services for U.S. citizens can provide the info needed to get social security payments coming to Thailand. The best method however is direct deposit to a U.S. bank.

As for Medicare, she will lose Medicare benefits if she lives outside the U.S.

:D

Well, i sincerely hope it's a windup, for your sake.

I've heard of close families, but this is ridiculous.

You're not from Alabama, are you?

wow, your really something. My mom died a few years ago and since i was 4 my grandmother raised me so yeah we are close. And we come from CA.

wow, your really something. My mom died a few years ago and since i was 4 my grandmother raised me so yeah we are close. And we come from CA.

Sorry, but have you ever thought that your grandmother might have serious problems adapting to life in Thailand, and might only accompany you because she does not want to be in the states without her family?

Everytime i read your posts i start cringing. You appearantly believe that moving to Thailand is similar to moving from one state in the US to the next.

Fact is, that you have no hope to get a work permit in Thailand. That leaves you in a precarious legal position. You will have to leave Thailand every three months (if on tourist visas with extensions), or every month (if you opt for the visa on arrival) to a neighboring country in order to stay legally here. Your work on the internet is considered illegal work. Your chance is slim that you are caught, but you should at least know that you are in a similar legal position as a illegal immigrant to the States, with much less legal protection.

Your grandmother, in order to qualify for a retirees visa, has to prove an income of no less than 40 000 Baht a month (which is presently about 1050 US$) from a retiring fund, etc.

Otherwise she will have to travel the same way. Can she do that?

Does your grandmother have a good insurance? Otherwise you will find out that medical emergencies can be very expensive here, and if you cannot show cash, she will not be treated.

I don't think you realise that Thailand is a developing country. Forget about the rights you take for granted in the states. This place is riddled with corruption on every level, social justice is not existing. There is no social welfare.

I do not understand why you make plans not only for you, but for your grandmother as well, before having even set foot into this place. You do not understand that what you are getting yourself, and your grandmother into, if you don't at least make a prolonged holiday without strings here in Thailand.

To be blunt - people like you are a huge burden for people like me.

You come here, you think you have figured things out, but you don't know shit, because you refuse to listen to people with experience.

And then, when you f_uck up (what you guys always do) - it is people like me who have to take care of you in prisons, in hospitals, in mental institutions. We have to beg embassies to help you (which they don't). We have to try to contact relatives in your home countries to pick you up. We have to pay bills for you. We have to negotiate with the poeple you got into trouble with, begging them not to hurt you.

In my almost two decades here i have seen it all, it pisses me off.

I also agree this sounds like an ill advised idea, mostly because of the lack of direct knowledge of Thailand, pros and cons.

As far as Granny's visa, that info isn't exactly correct. She is on social security so she probably gets at least 40,000 baht a month. That adds up to 480,000 baht a year. So she would then need to show a Thai bank account (transferred in from the US) of 320,000 baht to get a one year visa with no runs, and if she doesn't have this much, she definitely shouldn't be coming!

Nobody in their right mind moves to a country they have never visited!

Edited by Thaiquila

Granny has been collecting SS for 15 years now? Unless Granny is 77 or older, she's not collecting SS retirement/old age, she's collecting SSI or SS disability. SSI is NOT paid to non-US residents, so that may be her income and why the SS people said she could not receive it in Thailand.

If Granny IS 77 or older, I would hesitate to bring her to Thailand. The trip is exhausting, and the lack of social contact could cause depression. She may be unable to learn enough Thai to make friends. There are wonderful exceptions, but most people that age do have some mental decline, at least in memory, which would make learning a new language harder.

I don't know why on earth Granny would want to move to Thailand. Perhaps she does not and was pleased what SS told her so she has excuse not to. I will say that I think I know what SS meant by the 30 day thing. I think they were just talking about official notification of address change. They dont want people living out of the country for more than 30 days w/o that

wow. ok I guess i'll stop asking questions because everytime I do some of you people go so far into left field I wonder if you still remember how to read English.

1) My grandmother has wanted to move there for the last 10 years.

2) medical is MUCh cheaper in Thailand than here int he stats and other than prescription meds ( witch she can get cheaper in Thailand ) she doesnt need a hospital and if she does again it is much cheaper there.

3) She has been to Thailand along with most of my family, who by the way, is moving to Thailand in the next few month. My father is going to buy a house in Thailand.

4) Whoever said its people like me blah blah blah. its people like you who are so scared of change that you never do anything without having to talk yourself through it. Ever heard of taking a chance in life? I mean come on, its not like I cant come back to the states if I don't like it.

5) My Internet business is not illegal. Where did that come from? lol

6)well I don't have a 6 but im done. Thanks for everyone's help who was trying to help.

recap: I am going to Thailand to go to school and grow as a person. My grandmother will be moving here to spend the rest of her life. We can figure out all the other details once we get there and are around other people who are doing the same thing. thanks!

wow. ok I guess i'll stop asking questions because everytime I do some of you people go so far into left field I wonder if you still remember how to read English.

2) medical is MUCh cheaper in Thailand than here int he stats and other than prescription meds ( witch she can get cheaper in Thailand ) she doesnt need a hospital and if she does again it is much cheaper there.

3) She has been to Thailand along with most of my family, who by the way, is moving to Thailand in the next few month. My father is going to buy a house in Thailand.

4) Whoever said its people like me blah blah blah. its people like you who are so scared of change that you never do anything without having to talk yourself through it. Ever heard of taking a chance in life? I mean come on, its not like I cant come back to the states if I don't like it.

6)well I don't have a 6 but im done. Thanks for everyone's help who was trying to help.

recap: I am going to Thailand to go to school and grow as a person. My grandmother will be moving here to spend the rest of her life. We can figure out all the other details once we get there and are around other people who are doing the same thing. thanks!

As a note:

1) I doubt your father will be able to buy a house, unless his wife is Thai. Do you mean a Condo? better check

2) Tell granny to be careful buying meds in Thailand. Please go to a reputable Pharmacies

3) don't make any expat in here upset at you, for you might be seeing him/her on the street of Chiangmai (in other word, better make some friends, starting in here)

Have fun and welcome to Thailand!

Nobody is saying your internet business is illegal, you fool.

We - the people who LIVE here and KNOW Thailand - are telling you (a know-it-all who probably couldnt find it on a damned map) that you would not be able to get a work permit and so would be working illegally.

But you dont want to listen to that, do you?

A previous poster hit the nail on the head: your posts make many in here cringe.

Unless you live in Cuba or NK, the country you live in used to be very important since SS was mailed to your address.(btw, if your are DUMB, by law you can still demand this) Get your SS depositted in a US bank. Now, if you are a citizen, and live in Cuba or NK, it is against the law to use any of that money while you are still living there. SS is yours no matter where you are. By law, you cant force them to mail it to you in some countries.

2) medical is not much cheaper when you have to pay for it yourself. Your grandmother might be in good health now, but there comes a point where she might need costly treatment and/or care. Does she have insurance which covers that?

If she doesn't she will not receive any care and will be left to die. Many ailments make it impossible to travel back to people's homecountries.

3) I hope your father has more knowledge on Thailand than you. As already mentioned - foreigners are not legally allowed to buy a house in Thailand.

4) If people like me would be scared of change we would not have moved here in the first place. :o

But generally we use our brains and listen to people when we ask questions. If you don't like the answers, don't <deleted> ask.

5) your internet business is illegal work when you do it based in a country you have no work permit in.

As it has been pointed out to you - Americans on disability SS cannot receive it overseas. Many years ago i have had a friends who did exactly that. He let a friend in the US pick it up for him and send it here. After some time US authorities cut him off. The embassy did not help him as he screwed up previously.

Who do you think had to pay his debts, had to take care of him in the Immigration prison, had to start a collection for his ticket home?

What is the frigging problem for you to simply come here on a holiday, and find things out before making plans that not only affect your life, but also the life of your grandmother?

Can your grandmother prove that she has income of at least 65 000 baht (1700 US$) from a retirement fund?

If not she will have to travel regularly across an international border (once a month) in order to continue staying legally in Thailand.

Or she can use one of the illegal visa services and risk getting caught and having to go to jail and get deported.