Social Security In Thailand? What's The Deal?

bailey020205

well, Thanks for the advise even tho most of it is you assuming things and attackign me. Who said I wotn be coming back? Who said I cant come back? I cant make a choice for my grandmother. SHE is choosing to move ot Thailand not me making her move. She si grown i cant tell her what to do. Anyway, since this is out of control I'll end it here. I have all the info i need to know. I have my ticket, my money, my passport, a place to stay and people to show me around. I'll see you in Thailand!

No Visa. I will do Visa run until I know if I want to stay longer. Then I plan on going to school and/or working.

What is your return date on your air ticket going to be? If leaving the US with no visa and the return date is over 30 days (or if you have one way ticket) you won't be allowed to board. You could buy a cheap air ticket to Malaysia to show them you are leaving Thailand before 30 days, then you will probably be allowed to board. Telling them you will take a bus to Burma will not cut it, so be prepared, OK?

Edited by Thaiquila

I did buy a one way ticket. I researched and from what i have read you can get a 30 day visa in thailand. If not I'll get one here then.

"30 day entry stamp : for the majority of passport holders, this is a 'permission to stay 30 days' stamp only obtained (free of charge) at a port of entry into the Kingdom and is issued without the need for a visa. At the discretion of the immigration officer this may be extended for up to 7-15 days at an immigration office after which time the holder must leave the Kingdom. This is NOT a visa."

Edited by bailey020205

I did buy a one way ticket. I researched and from what i have read you can get a 30 day visa in thailand. If not I'll get one here then.

If you already bought the one way ticket, you will need some help from people on this forum. One way tickets can cause a problem at the airport. As a US citizen, yes, you do get a 30 day stamp when arriving in Thailand which allows you to stay in Thailand 30 days, this is NOT a visa. But first, you need to be allowed on the plane in the US. This is going to be a problem for you.

I recommend you get a tourist visa in the USA before going to the airport. The visa can be used within 90 days of being issued for a 60 day stay in Thailand (which can be extended in Thailand for another 30 days). I think having this mean they will let you on the plane. Even so, I would call your airline to confirm this. The riskier option with a one way ticket is to buy an air ticket which leaves Thailand within 30 days of your arrival, probably to Penang, Malaysia. Then you can prove your way out of Thailand, and they may let you board, but I consider this the riskier option.

There are cases where you can get lucky and get a busy or incompetent agent, but it is their job to stop your boarding if you show up with a one way ticket and no visa (or possibly proof of leaving after 30 days). In the US, I would guestimate such luck would occur maybe 1 in 5 times, not good odds.

When does your plane leave? If really soon, you don't have time to get a visa unless you live in a city with a Thai consulate. In that case, you can try the ticket to Malaysia option, which you can buy online.

Edited by Thaiquila

The OP is a real hoot, worried that people are going to look down on him for having money. It's a moot point - he has no money, or education, or a future here. He going to "go to school and/or work". Reads as though he has really thought this out.

At least he has the wisdom to seek out some help. Hard to tell whether the adventure he is planning is going to be good for him or not, but as long as he has made up his mind to try, I see no harm in offering him info on how to avoid trouble.

The OP is a real hoot, worried that people are going to look down on him for having money. It's a moot point - he has no money, or education, or a future here. He going to "go to school and/or work". Reads as though he has really thought this out.

a real hoot? lol

Anyway, Thanks for all the help guys I have everything planned and am on my way for a 2-3 month vacation. If things work out my grandmother will follow. :o