Record heat -- is it only here?

Sheryl

I assume it must be since no one else seems to mention it.

In more than 20 years in Thailand, never known the like of it.

It is over 42C by 10 AM each morning (how far over, who knows - thermometer doesn't go up any higher) and stays so until 10 PM or so. Even at midnight, it is too hot to go outside. Been this way for about 2 weeks. Trees are dying and even the locals are complaining.

I'm on the south side of Khao Yai and can hear thunder up in the mountains so maybe it is a localized phenomena?

Anyone else experiencing record heat?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will say that the Thai Meteorological Dept. website has been VERY inaccurate about their daily high predictions. For the past few weeks, it has been consistently low by 3 degrees or so. However, their (every 3 hour) updates are usually accurate, and I often use those to gauge which aircons I need to fire up for the day around the house.

Even Yahoo local weather service has been more accurate than this, and also the one on my Samsung mini tablet.

Having said that, yes it has been hot, along with some other strange weather such as the crazy wind storms two days ago.

Nakhon Sawan is traditionally one of the hottest places at this time and it's now around the low 40's most days. But it does stay that way until late afternoon. We have had 2 recent thunderstorms, but not much rain yet. I'd say its about normal for the time of year. But curiously, everything seems to be growing well, despite little rain, so the humidity must be very high.

The highest ever recorded temperature in Thailand was in 1960 in Uttaradit. 44.5C

I am not sure how they class a temperature as a recorded high, whether it is a constant temperature for a given period or what. During the last 16 years I have been on site where the ambient temperature has been in the 40's, and that during those times it felt that it was record breaking............wink.png

As well, I am living in the south of Khao Yai (Na Di district): we got big thunders these last 2/3 nights ; but not one single drop of water.

Hopefully our ponds are still half full of water, enough to wet -nowadays on a twice daily basis- the orchards ; and government water is still running well.

According to the local folks, if you can see clearly Khao Yai: rain is coming...

But the mountain range is in the mist since last November.

We've got 40+ in Sisaket and everybody's just sweating. Just found out that some of our fish died in our basin

.I'm living here for 12 years constantly, have experienced 43 degrees before but don't recall that it was that hot as it feels right now..

Edited by sirchai

Yep roasting hot here in Chonburi.

I have been starting work 3 hours early so we can get some cutting time on our laser machine before it shuts down due to over heating (machine cuts @ 50degC).

On the upside Iam getting home at 2.30pm which is just awesome !!!

Edited by Spoonman

I live on Koh Chang haven't bothered to turn air conditioning on yet fan is enough then again I lived in Exmouth Western Australia where temps . get close to 50 degrees and mins. around 28 degree. And that's on the coast, inland it gets to mid 50s some days . The upside of exmouth it has some of the best reefs ,beaches , great winter weather and some of the best fishing in the world .

Whilst it is hot in Bangkok, my skin isn't flaking off due to the heat like it did 2 years ago, so either I don't feel it as much these days or else it isn't as bad. Still damn hot, but could be worse. The weather patterns have a lot to do with it, it will get hotter and colder depending on the rain...Don't care how hot it is as long as I don't get flooded again !!!

Nowhere near to those temperatures in Phuket, but it's still very hot. Specially after there was some rain, so now the air is very humid as well.

How or where are the temperatures measured, in the shade or what?

My thermometer outside when in shade reads about equal to

the temps on the weather forecast, But when the sun hits it about 2pm

It reads temps of over 50 degrees, Phew !!!....Just had some rain for

about 30 mins and the temp is 42 degrees, im in Mahasarakham by the way