Accompanying Thai passport holder through UK immigration

Just like to give a little story of the first time I came to the UK with the (at that time) new wife. We foolishly allowed ourselves to go into the different queues and I got through first and waited. However an overpowering policeman said that I couldn't wait there because - just because! I said that I had paperwork that the IO might want to see when my wife finally made it to the front of the queue. No difference he said, move or be arrested. The charm school part of his training was sadly lacking! However about 10 minutes later he came round the corner calling out my name, The IO wanted to see the documents that I was holding, so round I went and got everything sorted in about 30 seconds. The border agency staff were very polite and efficient but did ask relevant questions and that was when he said that if ever we come back again then stick together. Never been a problem since (we now have a tribe of children) and the first time was hardly a problem except that we were tired and had read too many frighteners about the (then) UKBA.

Probably doesn't add a lot to the thread except to show how it happens for other people.

My advice has already been given by others but I would add the caveat, if you are traveling with your wife or partner, especially a 'first timer' then why on earth would one consider approaching UK Immigration in separate queues? Stick together!

My advice is based upon what I was told by an IO at Heathrow.

He explained that allowing a non EEA national through the UK/EEA gate when they are accompanied by a UK/EEA national is a privilege, not a right. In other words, the IO on duty could say 'No,' though this is unlikely.

Hence my advice that the non EEA national joins the non EEA queue while the UK/EEA national joins that queue and then calls them over if the IO says it's ok.

If the IO were to say 'No' then the UK/EEA national could join the non EEA national in the other queue.

If they both joined the UK/EEA queue then they would have to go to the back of the non EEA queue if the IO said 'No;' which I accept is unlikely.

I am neither arguing with your advice of discounting what you were told by the IO. I also agree that the UK/EEA passport holder should accompany their partner in the non-EEA line to avoid a stroppy desk jockey in the UK/EAA line which isn't totally unknown.

The option for each individual to use the line they are entitled to and meet up at the desks has a flaw. The speed at which UK/EEA passport holders get processed is much faster than the non-EEA passport holder. Then they have rules about people hanging about anywhere near the desks when they have been cleared so it's very unlikely that the UK/EAA partner will be allowed to wait for their partner. They even have staff to shoo them away to the baggage claim. My last passage through, the UK-EEA automatic gates were clear the other side of the Immigration hall and it is totally impossible to see a 5' Thai unless they have one of those 'follow me' flags on a pole that the Chinese tour leaders use.

Now THAT'S an idea!!!

Stick with your partner and choose the path of least resistance.

I thought what 7by7 is saying is fairly straight forward but some people can't see it. Hope this helps..

My wife reached the desk of an IO (in the Non EU queue) before I did, i was in the EU queue. She tells the IO that she is travelling with me and can I come and join her and be processed together. IO agrees, my wife signals to me and without too much hassle I shuffle my way through the queue and go join her.

On our previous visit to the UK, it worked the other way round. I was 1st up to an IO desk in the EU queue, and he agreed that my wife could join me.

Many thanks to 7by7 for all your help in the past.

Mr and Mrs Boycie

Sent from my Spectrum ZX81

Stick together and go for whichever queue is moving fastest. The non-EU one is often well staffed so a long line of people can move fast. Especially if arriving planes are full of European passport holders!

It really does not matter but make sure her arrivals card is completed properly. Immigration officers seem to have short fuses on occasions (perhaps understandably!).

An immigration officer has the power to refuse entry to anyone with a visa but clearly has to have grounds to do so. An example would be where there is evidence that the visa holder's circumstances have changed so the visa is no longer appropriate.

My wife was held up at Terminal 3 for many hours despite a marriage visit visa. She re-entered the UK after we had married. The IO decided the visa was no longer appropriate as we were married and feared she would try to apply for settlement in the UK. The fact that we were due to head back to Thailand for me to have a holiday and for her to complete her settlement application was ignored (at least until our MP got involved). It does happen!