Bamboo Tattoo

rokgryphon

Hi,

Your better off going to koh phi phi if your after Bamboo Tattoo. Phuket may have bamboo tattoo artists, however it's mostly machine as far as I'm aware.

There are plenty of places to choose from on phi phi, prices range from 1000฿ for something small (the 5 lines, a buddhist tattoo you see people with is 5000฿) to a great deal more for something large. It tends to be a bit more expensive for bamboo tattoo as its more time consuming. The benefits are it heals a lot quicker as it penetrates the skin via a tapping motion, rather than cutting through the skin.. Which means you can go swimming immediately etc.

Plenty of good and reputable shops with experienced artists. STP bamboo tattoo is closest to the pier. Near to carlitos bar there are 2 shops both owned by swedish women and their Thai husbands and also in the centre of town across from banana bar are a couple of good shops. Keep a look out for a blond english girl who manages one of the shops. She's really friendly and worked there for a long time, so she has a pretty good idea of the best artists etc.

Anyway good luck and have fun in Phuket.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

a bit off topic, but has there been a study to see if excess ( or different colors) of tattoo ink cause brain damage ?

seems like most of the criminals we see arrested have lots of ink on their bodies

• Like 2

a bit off topic, but has there been a study to see if excess ( or different colors) of tattoo ink cause brain damage ?

seems like most of the criminals we see arrested have lots of ink on their bodies

you realise its the 4th of April, the 1st was on Tuesday

• Like 2

It's how these guys make a living from tourism. They need to make a living somehow and 5000 baht isn't a lot of money for someone on holidays. My partner is also a tattoo artist who now works here in Australia and makes a lot more than the guys do in Thailand. Yes perhaps you could go to a monastery for sak yant tattoo. However people are more than willing to pay for good work. It was an example of the price range and size.

The guy asked a question and I gave him an answer. Perhaps you can direct him to a monastery with a monk who willingly performs sak yant on Farang for 500 baht. That would be answering his question.

Ok ok I get it, you've lived in Thailand for 30 years and know how to get the cheapest price from a monk. However some people are not willing to work for a pittance.

• Like 2

If the prices in Phuket are so high, why not just go to wat bang phra and get a real sak yant tattoo done by the monks there? There are no fee's for the tattoo, just a donation of flowers and cigarettes (sold outside the tattoo rooms) which cost 75 baht in total. You an also leave a donation of whatever you want in an envelope but this is not mandatory and is completely optional. Sak yant tattoo's are not merely decorative tattoo's but have a meaning and the power isn't through having the tattoo done but the words of incantation said by the monk after the tattoo has been completed. If you are just after a tattoo thiugh, as a souvenir, there are plenty of rip off places charging huge prices for these that you can go to as people have already pointed out.

• Like 1

Agree with most of Rubix's post, but: many of the tattooshops on Phuket will also be able to do a bamboo tattoo. The artist I would recommend has left Phuket, so I'm sorry but can't help the TS with a recommendation.

Edited by stevenl

It's how these guys make a living from tourism. They need to make a living somehow and 5000 baht isn't a lot of money for someone on holidays. My partner is also a tattoo artist who now works here in Australia and makes a lot more than the guys do in Thailand. Yes perhaps you could go to a monastery for sak yant tattoo. However people are more than willing to pay for good work. It was an example of the price range and size.

The guy asked a question and I gave him an answer. Perhaps you can direct him to a monastery with a monk who willingly performs sak yant on Farang for 500 baht. That would be answering his question.

Ok ok I get it, you've lived in Thailand for 30 years and know how to get the cheapest price from a monk. However some people are not willing to work for a pittance.

My understanding of these tattoos is they are steeped in spiritual and cultural history. I would have thought it bad kharma for a tattoo artist to do one of these tattoos, in his shop, and for big money.

In any case, you may be able get a tattoo artist to do one, because on Phuket, money rules all, but how authentic would the experience and the tattoo be????

I'm not talking about the cost, where others may be. I'm talking about a 100% authentic bamboo sak yant tattoo, done in a monestery, by a monk. Exactly the way the Thai's do it. Wouldn't the tattaoo have more meaning to the owner this way?

As a side issue, disease is a big concern with the bamboo tattoos. Obviously, the bamboo "needle" is not produced and sterilised in a factory, also, no guarantee they may be reused.

My understanding of these tattoos is they are steeped in spiritual and cultural history. I would have thought it bad kharma for a tattoo artist to do one of these tattoos, in his shop, and for big money.

In any case, you may be able get a tattoo artist to do one, because on Phuket, money rules all, but how authentic would the experience and the tattoo be????

I'm not talking about the cost, where others may be. I'm talking about a 100% authentic bamboo sak yant tattoo, done in a monestery, by a monk. Exactly the way the Thai's do it. Wouldn't the tattaoo have more meaning to the owner this way?

As a side issue, disease is a big concern with the bamboo tattoos. Obviously, the bamboo "needle" is not produced and sterilised in a factory, also, no guarantee they may be reused.

Disease is a big issue with machine tattoos, not with bamboo.

Also, don't make the mistake of confusing Sak Yant tattoos, done by bamboo tattoos, with the method itself, many different designs are possible with bamboo tattoos.

And even Sak Yant, many Thais have this done commercially, simply because quite oten the result is much nicer. So not as you claim by definition 'Exactly the way the Thai's do it'.

• Like 1

Disease is a big issue with machine tattoos, not with bamboo.

Also, don't make the mistake of confusing Sak Yant tattoos, done by bamboo tattoos, with the method itself, many different designs are possible with bamboo tattoos.

And even Sak Yant, many Thais have this done commercially, simply because quite oten the result is much nicer. So not as you claim by definition 'Exactly the way the Thai's do it'.

"Disease is a big issue with machine tattoos, not with bamboo." - I disagree. There is a risk of disease with both.

"don't make the mistake of confusing Sak Yant tattoos, done by bamboo tattoos, with the method itself, many different designs are possible with bamboo tattoos." - sure, but the traditional use of the bamboo tattoo is the sak yant tattoo.

"And even Sak Yant, many Thais have this done commercially, simply because quite oten the result is much nicer. So not as you claim by definition 'Exactly the way the Thai's do it'. - of all the Thai's I have asked, admittedly, they were Thai women, they said they had it done by a Monk.

So, I would say a majority of Thai's have this particular style, and method of tattoo, done by a Monk.

of all the Thai's I have asked, admittedly, they were Thai women, they said they had it done by a Monk.

So, I would say a majority of Thai's have this particular style, and method of tattoo, done by a Monk.

Talking about drawing conclusions based on a well balanced and wide survey group.cheesy.gif

"Disease is a big issue with machine tattoos, not with bamboo." - I disagree. There is a risk of disease with both.

The big risk is with machine tattoos, not with bamboo.

of all the Thai's I have asked, admittedly, they were Thai women, they said they had it done by a Monk.

Talking about drawing conclusions based on a well balanced and wide survey group.cheesy.gif

The big risk is with machine tattoos, not with bamboo.

Please quote your source. laugh.png

Thanks to those who replied with good suggestions. This is starting to get a bit off topic on what is "authentic" and what is not. Also, with what is riskier in terms of disease.

I am not looking to strictly get a Sak Yant tattoo. I want the process of bamboo done, as it is an experience, heals faster, and colour tends to stay longer and be more vibrant. Though the design I am looking to get done will have a certain Thai/Buddhist influence.

Any other suggestions on solid shops to get this done?

Lots of heavy metals in tattoo ink, including mercury and lead. Something to think about.

A bit off topic: Getting your first tattoo is like smoking your first cigarette. It hurts a bit, and you think it looks cool, you get hooked, so you do it some more. 30 years later, it's not cool, and you wish you hadn't started.

Thanks for the advice Shot, but this isn't my first tattoo. Got one 17 years ago, I still like it. I just have the one, I spend a lot of time thinking about it before I get it done.

Golden needle Phuket town, talk to the guys there. Not sure if they do bamboo, but they will point you in the right direction. Multiple award winners, best in monkey island:)

Edited by eezergood

There are many good bamboo tattoo artists in Phuket.

They can also be done at the temple in Phuket town by one of the monks.

Kru Oh lives on soi tad-ied near Tiger muay thai and is very good and works from his house.

There is also a guy on Sai uan on the nai harn road. He is opposite phuket fight lab

They both used brand new sterilised needles.

• 6 months later...