BOT chief Prasarn explains why he would turn down PM's job

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
BOT chief explains why he would turn down PM's job

30230830-01_big.gif
Nation Multimedia Group chairman Suthichai Yoon, left, speaks with Bank of Thailand chief Dr Prasarn Trairatvorakul about what lies ahead for the country.

BANGKOK: -- Bank of Thailand Governor Dr Prasarn Trairatvorakul, whose name was included in the list of potential neutral prime ministers, tells Nation Multimedia Group's chairman Suthichai Yoon about the central bank's role in the ongoing political conflict and offers his points of view on "reform" and "election".

Q : There are now proposals to reform not only the country's politics, but also its economic and government officialdom. The government wants to hold an election before reforms are put in place, while the opposition wants it the other way around. What are your views on this? Which should come first so it does not have an adverse effect on the economy?

A : There are two options, either elections or reforms, though the two words really mean "procedure" and "mechanism". Actually, I have been thinking about the best solution for the country over the past few months. One of my favourite options is an agreement among stakeholders first, especially the two main political parties, though other parties should also be included.

If we opt for the election-before-reform formula, we can hold an election but will first have to reach an agreement on the exact model of the government and how reforms will be put in place. After that, another election can be held and the winner will need to be accepted by all. Under the new prototype, this winner will also have to listen to minority parties.

All parties need to participate in the election so the resulting government is powerful. Doing it this way will be in line with the Constitution and likely be accepted by the public. Eventually, the end result will depend very much on the substance of the reform.

As for the reform-before-election formula, we will need to focus on the "substance" of the reforms and who will be in charge of putting them in place. However, the protesters are not very clear about the reforms they want and who will manage them. With so many things on the line, I think prioritising is very important.

Q : Is there any particular issue the BOT is focusing on?

A : We are focusing on limiting populist policies so they do not create any risks for the country. We are also doing a study on how to stop the use of specific financial institutions like the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives and the Government Savings Bank in political mechanisms. Our other task is to root out corruption.

Q : What are your views on a neutral prime minister?

A : It's really difficult to analyse this because it is likely a trade-off, as there will be winners and losers depending on the situation. I prefer all sides to win; that's why the stakeholders should have an agreement prior to an election.

Q : What happens if the two parties come to a compromise?

A : It would be interesting if this happens. If not, I'm afraid the unrest might scare away potential investors. If the two sides compromise on clear reforms, even if it is without a long-term timeframe, it would still be better than a military coup, which is not accepted by the world.

Q : You were included in the list of potential neutral prime ministers. What would you do if asked?

A : With this ongoing crisis, it does not only depend on whether one is "up to it", but also on their trustworthiness and past performance.

When I'm offered a job, I always ask if I'm up to it. We need to take responsibility if we accept the job.

Q : Does this mean you will not totally refuse this post?

A : I think I will pretty much refuse it. First, I'm not quite "up to it". This is very different from when I was approached to take the BOT governor's post.

A neutral premier's job requires resolving problems on several different dimensions.

The interview will be televised on Nation TV's "Timeline Suthichai Yoon" show at 7pm on Sunday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-04

• Like 1

" I think I will pretty much refuse it. First, I'm not quite "up to it". This is very different from when I was approached to take the BOT governor's post.

A neutral premier's job requires resolving problems on several different dimensions."

Nothing to do with chalerm's thinly veiled threats then?

• Like 1

"BOT chief explains why he would turn down PM's job"

What a ridiculous notion, treated seriously.

I don't need to read the rest of the article, to know this is some more Ammart, Elitist anti-democratic dreaming.

What makes anyone think this guy could win an election. Within that reality and context, who cares what this guy thinks.

The underpinning of this nonsense is the same as that which led to AV being elevated to PM after the 2006 coup without winning a national election.....Mostly the same people think they can engineer a reprise of that.

But there is that little item of a thoroughly politicized electoral majority, not present previously......Ignoring that reality is actually arrogance run amok, and is done at their own peril.

Edited by Fryslan boppe

I don't need to read the rest of the article, to know this is some more Ammart, Elitist anti-democratic dreaming.

What makes anyone think this guy could win an election. Within that reality and context, who cares what this guy thinks.

The underpinning of this nonsense is the same as that which led to AV being elevated to PM after the 2006 coup without winning a national election.....Mostly the same people think they can engineer a reprise of that.

But there is that little item of a thoroughly politicized electoral majority, not present previously......Ignoring that reality is actually arrogance run amok, and is done at their own peril.

Samak was elevated to PM without winning an election. Somchai was elevated to PM without winning an election. Abhisit, Samak and Somchai were all elevated to PM after forming a coalition and being elected PM in parliament. They were all elevated after the 2006 coup.

• Like 1

You really need to "read" a little bit more, especially history which would have shown you that many PM's have been "elevated" here (and elsewhere) without directly running in or winning an election themselves. He's also actually not referring to running in an election, he's being asked if he would take the job if it was "offered" to him when the neutral Govt is formed.

What thoroughly politicized electoral majority are you referring to? The red shirts supporters? Your support there is wearing thinner day by day so don't get too arrogant yourselves.

Is that the latest official dispatch from Amsterdam & Peroff?

Well, you are forgetting the little matter of the Red Shirts putting him on a list of Neutral PM candidates. He's politely making sure that people know he's not on the list. A good way to try to avoid grenade attacks at home.

• Like 1

We are focusing on limiting populist policies so they do not create any risks for the country. We are also doing a study on how to stop the use of specific financial institutions like the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives and the Government Savings Bank in political mechanisms. Our other task is to root out corruption.

Who asked him to do that, or did he think it up.

Since when is it his job to limit so called populist. I hate the way that certain words have now become anathema if you are of a political persuasion.

Not all wealth distribution adds up to populism, not all populism is bad, not all wealth distribution is a communist conspiracy.

• Like 2

smart man

Sounds a lot smarter than most.

Our other job is to root out corruption

Whenever a public servant says this, just realise, he doesn't mean it, and he is an utter liar.

How many people will have been convicted from his organisation or an other for which he could be responsible for managing whilst he is the boss?

A. None

B. None

C. Both a and b

So you see, it has become the standard norm to say you are fighting corruption that no one even bats an eyelid about its meaning.

Lip service.

Why not try next time a non thai-chinese PM?

You mean as neutral PM, or as PM elected by fellow MP's ?

An elected i would mean. Little bit more chance...

Well, as for a PM elected by his/her fellow MP's, that's up to the MP's, all 500 of them. not sure what being of Thai-Chinese background has anything to with a PM though. I'm sure no one ever held it against Thaksin, or Abhisit rolleyes.gif

Well, you are forgetting the little matter of the Red Shirts putting him on a list of Neutral PM candidates. He's politely making sure that people know he's not on the list. A good way to try to avoid grenade attacks at home.

Then there is the small matter that he may know more about the state of the government finances than most. He may not think that it is a wise career move to accept a short term contract in such a role.