Macbook air running on windows 8.1

robblok

I bought a macbook air with 256 ssd drive in it and played around with it for a bit and as i suspected got bored with apple its childlike way of doing things. I quickly put windows 8.1 on it, the result a much more usable computer. (for my needs)

Actually this was the plan all along as the macbook air was perfect for my needs, one of the smallest computers and not too powerful as I only need it for a backup when traveling. I do all my real work behind a windows computer with 3 24 inch screens.

But you cant fault apple for producing the macbook.. great for what you get, i looked for other ultrabooks that were in the same weight class. I did not need a real powerful one but nothing. So my only choice was to convert it. I must say that was quite easy to do.

I did fiddle around with apples OS for a while but while it certainly better as xp its not really a match for windows 7 or 8. Your just too limited and treated like a child. Its like the difference between an iphone and a samsung phone. Its all ok if you are an average user but if you want to tweak it more you hit walls.

Just posting this so others might buy a macbook too to convert it as it is a well build ultrabook with a great battery and light. So now people who prefer windows can convert it.

It is real easy to do and all drivers are downloaded. I can state for a fact that it works great with the newest macbook (bought it a few days ago) and windows 8.1

there has been no intel based apple Computer not running flawless windows .. since "bootcamp" requires all the compatibility as well.

things from apple do usaly works before they beeing released ;)

anyway just out of curiosity, what is it you do where the os10 envioment does trow stones in your way ?

besides of playing games i mean.

there has been no intel based apple Computer not running flawless windows .. since "bootcamp" requires all the compatibility as well.

things from apple do usaly works before they beeing released wink.png

anyway just out of curiosity, what is it you do where the os10 envioment does trow stones in your way ?

besides of playing games i mean.

I don't play games I use my computer for work. Ok once in a month maybe i like playing a strategy game. But its been months too busy with making money. Only reason I bought this computer as it fit the bill price wise only downside was that it was a mac. (meant buying a new OS as I like to keep legit software as i use it for business)

Cant fault the design and battery life (love how small it is)

The whole thing connected to itunes / the file management (hate that with a vengeance) / configure ability and such. The way programs work not to mention the network setup and connecting to my qnap network nass drive. Just don't like it one bit, sorry been tinkering with it for 2 days to find out what it is mac guys like so much.

I will admit part of it is because I haven't used it long but its just nothing special. I still got it for dual boot so i might look back once in a while.

I can understand you being used to Windows, but not sure what is "childlike" about the Mac OS.

I spent 20 years tweaking the Windows OS til my hair started falling out. Starting with Windows 3.1 on the floppies, all the way through Windows 7 (not much experience with 8).

My own personal opinion is that the Mac OS is straightforward and very reliable, and lets me do my work and not worry about tweaking. Everything I use my iMac and MBP for, video editing, songwriting and recording, all my business stuff, watching media, and of course communications, is streamlined, flawless and keeps me staying productive and creative.

I'm not bashing Windows, it definitely holds a part of my heart, but using Macs have let me focus more on my own production and less on trying to get my computer to allow me to be productive.

i too run windows on mac flawlessly and have been doing so since the first intel chipset was introduced.

it is brilliant hardware, and i agree that windows allows you real control of the OS to a much higher level.

I know many developers running windows exclusively on mac hardware.

Edited by HooHaa

I can understand you being used to Windows, but not sure what is "childlike" about the Mac OS.

I spent 20 years tweaking the Windows OS til my hair started falling out. Starting with Windows 3.1 on the floppies, all the way through Windows 7 (not much experience with 8).

My own personal opinion is that the Mac OS is straightforward and very reliable, and lets me do my work and not worry about tweaking. Everything I use my iMac and MBP for, video editing, songwriting and recording, all my business stuff, watching media, and of course communications, is streamlined, flawless and keeps me staying productive and creative.

I'm not bashing Windows, it definitely holds a part of my heart, but using Macs have let me focus more on my own production and less on trying to get my computer to allow me to be productive.

The earlier windows have been real bad but from 7 on wards (if you paid for the software makes a big difference) it great and much better configurable as the mac. Its ok if you don't want too much out of a computer to use a mac. As i said its made for people who are average and don't need the control.

I might give you this that a macbook might hold things over windows if you do video editing macs have been strong at that (or so i heard from people who should know.. i don't use it so I would not know)

But for me windows on a mac great combines the best of both world good design and good OS.

But of course it might depend on what your used too. I think those of us that have used win7 extensively know. I just installed 8.1 yesterday on the mac was my first contact with it. I still use 7 on my desktop (no need to change its great)

i too run windows on mac flawlessly and have been doing so since the first intel chipset was introduced.

it is brilliant hardware, and i agree that windows allows you real control of the OS to a much higher level.

I know many developers running windows exclusively on mac hardware.

I figured there would be more people doing this as since win 7 there is no need for the mac OS. But the design of macs is still great. Read many reviews of ultrabooks before i bought the macbook air and battery life was great plus low weight. I did not need more power or else i would have paid more for a windows ultrabook but now this was cheaper.

The earlier windows have been real bad but from 7 on wards (if you paid for the software makes a big difference) it great and much better configurable as the mac. Its ok if you don't want too much out of a computer to use a mac. As i said its made for people who are average and don't need the control.

I might give you this that a macbook might hold things over windows if you do video editing macs have been strong at that (or so i heard from people who should know.. i don't use it so I would not know)

But for me windows on a mac great combines the best of both world good design and good OS.

But of course it might depend on what your used too. I think those of us that have used win7 extensively know. I just installed 8.1 yesterday on the mac was my first contact with it. I still use 7 on my desktop (no need to change its great)

Yeah I have to admit that windows 7 was the best so far. I have it on my Mac via fusion and use it occasional, along with Ubuntu.

I am not sure though if I am an average user, whatever that means. What are you doing that makes you an above average user on your computer. Just curious.

Yeah I have to admit that windows 7 was the best so far. I have it on my Mac via fusion and use it occasional, along with Ubuntu.

I am not sure though if I am an average user, whatever that means. What are you doing that makes you an above average user on your computer. Just curious.

Home network with 2 desktops a QNAP 459 NAS server, WD NAS 2 printers scanner and a fax hooked up to a computer. Loads of professional use with tax programs accounting programs and of course spreadsheets. Got 3 screens hooked up to 1 desktop and 2 to an other. Also around 10 tb in usb drives hooked up to the NAS or to the router / some for backup others for sharing.

I would say that is a bit different as an average user.

I must say that since i started paying for windows and not all that illegal crap it was more stable too (win xp i had illegal and later paid for)

Mac OS (currently OS X) is basically Unix. If you delve into the command line or things like 'services' the range of things you can do is exponentially more broad than anything I've experienced with windows (and I'm not a fanboy). I've heard mac users called elitist and snobs before but never average... that's a new one. :)

For the past couple decades right up to this moment it's been both the hardware and software of preference for working in the arts (film, graphics, music). There is a reason for that and it won't change anytime soon.

Anyway, whatever works best for you is... best. But am skeptical about the 'average' comment. Good for a chuckle though.... and that's always a good thing.

• Like 1

Mac OS (currently OS X) is basically Unix. If you delve into the command line or things like 'services' the range of things you can do is exponentially more broad than anything I've experienced with windows (and I'm not a fanboy). I've heard mac users called elitist and snobs before but never average... that's a new one. smile.png

For the past couple decades right up to this moment it's been both the hardware and software of preference for working in the arts (film, graphics, music). There is a reason for that and it won't change anytime soon.

Anyway, whatever works best for you is... best. But am skeptical about the 'average' comment. Good for a chuckle though.... and that's always a good thing.

You wont have any argument about films graphics and business, I have heard the same so no need to argue about that. I am pretty sure that mac is better there else the pro's would not use it.

Command line.. that would go over my head as I have no Unix experience.

Ah the average comment, for phones this is 100% true as iphone is just locked too much and compared to android it is just to rigid. Maybe my mistake to call you guys that for the Mac. As for elitist and such.. no idea just don't think the mac lives up to its name for my use. That is of course pretty personal.

Anyway did not see anything special or anything that blew me away i felt more restricted. Part of it because I am a new user. I will keep it for a while as i also have an ipad and ipod and see if there is an advantage to using it combined with those two.

I am not anti mac as i like the design and such phone wise I am anti Iphone (pay too much cant copy files straight on it and cant add extra memory cards ect) , but i like my ipod and ipad (though the reason i bought the mac was that the ipad is too limited to replace a pc when away for my use)

Anyway did not see anything special or anything that blew me away i felt more restricted. Part of it because I am a new user.

thats is very normal experience for anyone chained to the windows usage, that makes the transition harder i admit. but after a while the simplicity simply pays back.

and it becomes a very powerful tool instead of a construction of a os you have a constant fight with wink.png

in os9 already you had more ways to get things done as in the equal windows version, and not in os10 this is just the same.

i never hit any boundaries, but i have alot of peoples keep asking me about install this and update there and crash here.

my response is always the same: its a mac, i dont have this problems, or its a mac is build in feature, not requires any software wink.png

the iTunes thing is just a application like any other.

there is nothing force defined in OSX .. if you not like iTunes, use something else .. just like on windows you can change the association with just 2 mouse clics (well i guess in windows its a few more) wink.png

for anything else here is some explaination of your feelings (refers to the 10 years old OS9):

wink.png;)

Edited by nullx8

I haven't had windows crashes since i started windows 7 stable as a rock. No need to fight that OS at all.. though I am fighting the apple OS. But im a new user but so far nothing special about it. Certainly not all that its hyped up.

As for changing the association in windows.. left click on a file properties and then change.. seems easy enough. As i said mac isnt special anymore. You probably remember the old buggy windows that you had that were pirated.

I've been baffled by my iPod, iPad and iPhone. Just can't figure out how to do things on them! I'm a DOS, Quarterdeck (pre-windows) and Word 1.0 era user and now run my own home network with automated backup via Windows Home Server 2011. From my perspective, many functions in Apple products are hidden and you have to read manuals carefully to find out what to click, drag, etc. DOS and Windows (until Windows 8) have always been straightforward with menus and pulldowns for everything. Users who have extensive experience Windows 3.1 config.sys and autoexec.bat will understand. Apple just doesn't give you the controlability that programs that have grown out of DOS do. Apple programs just make choices for you. I guess it's easier if you don't want to mess with details.

Home network with 2 desktops a QNAP 459 NAS server, WD NAS 2 printers scanner and a fax hooked up to a computer. Loads of professional use with tax programs accounting programs and of course spreadsheets. Got 3 screens hooked up to 1 desktop and 2 to an other. Also around 10 tb in usb drives hooked up to the NAS or to the router / some for backup others for sharing.

Sounds like a complete IT mess to me.... Your workflow must be hell with the way that is all setup.

Sounds like a complete IT mess to me.... Your workflow must be hell with the way that is all setup.

Workflow is great on the windows computers, the macbook air.. different story. Though now it is on windows 8 its much more useable and compatible as it used to be. I hardly look back at the mac site, only the gf looks at it a bit as she believes in the hype. Not me anymore windows 7 and 8 are on par and frankly much more stuff out there for windows as for mac.

I concede that for video editing mac might be superior but that is it looses out in comparability.

well as long not actualy "work" via NAS on windows it may be a good way of doing things wink.png

since its not very complex setup, everything is "on sight" handled by a handful IP's thats okay to do it the windows way i guess ..

things will look alot different if the setup extends or some complexity or (tasks spanning serval systems) is introduced.

but that is it looses out in comparability.

since its a business setup have to lean on the clients requirements as well, so it may make sense.

for me, the only thing i can't use on my 90% apple Setup is the Bangkok Bank Business Banking, lucky me i'm not a customer of them ...

anything else works just great.

just 2 hours ago i had the pages.app telling me that it did make changes on a docx document i openened,

i see that as a ease of the workflow, i been told what has been changed, and what the reasons where, and i can choose to keep it or not.

but its true .. alot of things not working out out of the box, but that is somethings on pourpose.

we had a semilar thing before called "Novel Netware" ... this is the reason why Microsoft Windows NT did win this race, at the great cost of security.

windows 8 is still running parts of the very same NT Kernel, and today after 15 Years it is still not able to provide security on the OS Level.

some of my larger clients running AS400 servers until today for just this this reasons, since accounting is not somethings evolves alot in requirements.

in short, there no perfect OS, its all up to the requirements the individual has.

Edited by nullx8

I am more pissed off about differences in hard drive formats. Though you can't blame mac for it or not completely anyway.

I would say yes not too many IP's the NAS Has 2 and 2 computers some phones and such. All in all no more as 10 IP's

There are no good (professional) accounting programs for the mac (at least none in my language and aimed at accountants not simple users). Most of my clients use windows, a few use Mac, usually the web designers.

Accounting indeed does not ask much of your computer (for me it only means having 3 screens 2 of them in A4 format instead of the normal wide format. (paperless office). The QNAP is mainly there because it has raid and copies my files to the cloud and to an USB drive at night. (as the QNAP is small it can stay on indefinitely)

The other USB drives are also connected to either the QNAP or my router so they are shared on the network.

All in all it works good, the mac is just there because i needed a small laptop with a quality battery (and cant fault it there at all). But i have been working behind it and I see no improvements over my windows environment. So why change. Seems people don't like it if you are not blown away by mac.

Its just a piece of hardware that works for somethings and not for others. I find the application bar intrusive compared to that on windows. I am sure you can change that somewhere. Lots of things depend on what you are used too. Windows was often crap in the past but since win 7 (and legal) i have had no problems no installs ect. That used to be totally different.

I agree.. no perfect OS.. really depends on what you want. I even tried linux for a while but it was not feasible for my business.

Edited by robblok

My experience was the reverse. I bought a MBP late last year because I liked the hardware. The intention was to shrink the OSX partition right down since I had no intention of using it, and install Windows on the main partition. After trying OSX for a few days I found I much preferred it and Windows now sits virtually unused on a 60GB partition (out of a total 512GB SSD).

I'm no noob. I'm a hardcore Windows user since 3.1 (DOS before that) right up to Windows 7, and I often use the command line (Windows on a PC and Linux on a dedicated server). For me the Mac OS is simply better.

No disrespect intended, but your contention that "Your [sic] just too limited and treated like a child" is frankly nonsense. Just because the OS is forgiving on grandma and the clueless doesn't mean the power isn't there in spades for people that know how to properly utilise it.

• Like 1

My experience was the reverse. I bought a MBP late last year because I liked the hardware. The intention was to shrink the OSX partition right down since I had no intention of using it, and install Windows on the main partition. After trying OSX for a few days I found I much preferred it and Windows now sits virtually unused on a 60GB partition (out of a total 512GB SSD).

I'm no noob. I'm a hardcore Windows user since 3.1 (DOS before that) right up to Windows 7, and I often use the command line (Windows on a PC and Linux on a dedicated server). For me the Mac OS is simply better.

No disrespect intended, but your contention that "Your [sic] just too limited and treated like a child" is frankly nonsense. Just because the OS is forgiving on grandma and the clueless doesn't mean the power isn't there in spades for people that know how to properly utilise it.

what about for people that have other stuff to do and cant be arsed to ride a new learning curve?

Just because the OS is forgiving on grandma and the clueless doesn't mean the power isn't there in spades for people that know how to properly utilise it.

so true! its the true potential of OSX and also its weakness indeed.

for me, i passed the point of no return about 10 years ago, and just ignored the not existing compatiblity.

(and this was not easy that time as basically everything was based of the Colorful Dos version called "Windows 95" or so wink.png )

today this is much different, and there are basically no issues left at all, and for the ones are, i simply just don't care.

the perfomance, the extremly smooth workflow and the advantage in productivity is the thanks what i get.

i'm a serious developer and troubleshooter, i simply not have the time installing shit all the time because a new client use somethings 2 bits different,

making the system do things and watch it burn 95% of the power on virus scans, firewalls and whatever else things not really do anything productive.

i know a lot of peoples "try" the Mac Os'es .. and got back to windows, but i can say that basically all of them where not really try at all ...

anyone else i got to mac os .. simply stick there and is thankful for the choice they made. (even some thais) wink.png

some of them even very much "in need of windows compatiblity" ...

after you get the curve, the true power will make you seriously regret every minute wasted on a Windows System.

I even tried linux for a while but it was not feasible for my business.

i spend most of my day-by-day business on linux based systems.

they are somewhat extremly powerfoul in matters doing some predefined things in a very productive manner.

but as a desktop ? totally agree ... its way too much 1980 (have try them all)

however i do know peoples beeing quite happy with it.. well maybe iam not hardcore enough wink.png

after you get the curve, the true power will make you seriously regret every minute wasted on a Windows System.

.oO( talking to myself now)

the power not only comes from the Operatingsystem, its also the seamless interaction of Operatingsystem and the Hardware.

as everything is True OEM. there is just no room for all the random errros happening somewhere else as hard and software is designed by the same peoples.

what about for people that have other stuff to do and cant be arsed to ride a new learning curve?

They can continue to sit on the couch being fat and stupid.

I am far from fat and stupid, I do have a business to run and for my use the mac is just not viable and does nothing more as what my windows can do. Actually in my situation windows is better as the programs I need are windows based. Mac is still not important enough for all to have all the same software. That is a fact and the strength of windows. (and its weakness) The fact that it has much more hardware and much more software does give it more usability and in the past many more faults.

I gave it a try.. it failed for what I do. But i love the battery life and how light the computer is it makes a great windows laptop now with a small mac partition for the gf to look at and act hip.