New SR400's for sale

CTO

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not seen anything about a new 500, only 400 (white) and 50th anniversary black version.

No sadly no 500, but 400 should be 265K baht so if you are not into big HP for the money the new SR400 is pretty cool.

June I been told at Yamaha Pattaya.

• Like 1

Not seen anything about a new 500, only 400 (white) and 50th anniversary black version.

No sadly no 500, but 400 should be 265K baht so if you are not into big HP for the money the new SR400 is pretty cool.

June I been told at Yamaha Pattaya.

I like it, except for the price. It's $6000, a little under 200K baht, in the U.S., and a lot of people think that is too much for what you're buying. Is there anything made in Thailand that is remotely similar, but cheaper?

It is a cool looking bike and very simple, so why is it so expensive, it should be 100k baht easy, they are obviously cashing in on the retro look?

But, it is a tiny little bike merely copying a much bigger 1960's Triumph Bonneville, so unless you are a Thai or Japanese and/or 14 years old, I don't get it.

• Like 1

It is a cool looking bike and very simple, so why is it so expensive, it should be 100k baht easy, they are obviously cashing in on the retro look?

But, it is a tiny little bike merely copying a much bigger 1960's Triumph Bonneville, so unless you are a Thai or Japanese and/or 14 years old, I don't get it.

Tiger Cub, maybe????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Because they're probably sold by the engine size, as mossy of other vehicles is Thailand, and 265k for 400cc bike sounds about right.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

Well yes and no, I think they sell for something like 165K baht in Japan and the average salary in Japan compared to Thailand is way more than here so it's a bitter pill to digest.

At 265K baht I will have to pass, sadly as the SR Yamaha (the 500) is one of the most iconic Japanese bikes ever made and it have a cult like status almost like a Harley.

It's not like I can't afford one, I can, but I can get better bang for my buck with something else, I am done with cult bikes (ex Harley owner) unless they can be had at a low (fair) price.

I am very interested in the MT09 at the movement but again a CB® 650F is very hard to beat for the money right now in Thailand, but the CB® don't really have the: "turn me on factor", well not to me they don't, sorry.

To be continuedwink.png

Edited by guzzi850m2

I'd say a fashionable, reliable, easy to ride, 'reasonably' priced bike (for LOS) that doesn't leave you dripping in sweat at a red light light is sometimes preferable to a big, heavy, expensive alternative from Triumph.

265k baht is a steal compared to Triumph pricing. And it's much more practical in the city so I can understand why young Thai Hipsters would buy this before remortgaging their condo for a Triumph Bonneville. There is no real alternative for a classic style bike at that price point unless you look at the Chinese imports.

• Like 1

I'd say a fashionable, reliable, easy to ride, 'reasonably' priced bike (for LOS) that doesn't leave you dripping in sweat at a red light light is sometimes preferable to a big, heavy, expensive alternative from Triumph.

265k baht is a steal compared to Triumph pricing. And it's much more practical in the city so I can understand why young Thai Hipsters would buy this before remortgaging their condo for a Triumph Bonneville. There is no real alternative for a classic style bike at that price point unless you look at the Chinese imports.

I agree with you, except on price and would add that it sounds good too, or at least the one's I have heard. I wouldn't buy a new Bonneville either, there are better bikes at half the money.

The reason I mentioned the Bonny is that it is a full sized bike that I could comfortably ride, so if they built an SR400/500 30% bigger, for even say 180, I may be interested.

But, yes there isn't anything else, if you want new.

Because they're probably sold by the engine size, as mossy of other vehicles is Thailand, and 265k for 400cc bike sounds about right.

CBR650 for 300k sounds righter.

Definitely for a niche market.

I'd guess that they will sell like hotcakes with the well to do (or better off than most Thais). Who can put on some goggles and a horse riding helmet and look the part.

• Like 1

CBR650 for 300k sounds righter.

Definitely for a niche market.

I'd guess that they will sell like hotcakes with the well to do (or better off than most Thais). Who can put on some goggles and a horse riding helmet and look the part.

I think you have it about right there, but missed the fact that you need to be slightly "vertically challenged" too. So (without prejudice) perhaps better for the Thais.

IMHO this should not be confused with an old SR400 which becomes a classic when it is renovated and or modified, or even left original, that is the real deal. Keeping an old model going purely for nostalgia, is a bit disingenuous, unless it's simplicity is reflected in it's price-tag, which this isn't.

But, that said, it will sell.

Did you ever ride both bikes ?

I did and I found both to be similar in size. The modern Thriumphs are much bigger though.

I could not find an older Thriumph on the site of motorcycle ergonomics (http://cycle-ergo.com/ ) so i took a kawasaki w650 which is very similar in size to the old Thriumphs. I put a rider on them that is 1.8 meters tall but even riders up to 1.9 meters will fit fine on an sr.

You still convinced it's tiny and only suitable for little people ?

post-63974-0-33546900-1396844425_thumb.j

post-63974-0-57937200-1396844654_thumb.p

post-63974-0-81632100-1396844665_thumb.p

Edited by pokerkid

^^ I've been to quite a few classic vehicle auctions in the past and learned that an unrestored bike (or car) in good, factory original condition sells for much much more than one that has been renovated and/or modified. Modifying a classic bike can actually make it worth a lot less than a standard machine.

• Like 1

Hmmm...second hand ER6 with sub 10000KMs for 2KTHB or SR400 for 2K65THB.

Kawa wins hands down.

Stallions motorbike shop here in Phuket town has just started selling a cafe racer model that looks like a copy of the SR400 (but it is a 150). Cool looking bike from a distance...but the quality of the engineering is horrid. The struts that hold the pillion pegs are a good example.

Sorry dont have any photos...maybe someone else does.

Oh..the price is about 60KTHB...

Did you ever ride both bikes ?

I did and I found both to be similar in size. The modern Thriumphs are much bigger though.

I could not find an older Thriumph on the site of motorcycle ergonomics (http://cycle-ergo.com/ ) so i took a kawasaki w650 which is very similar in size to the old Thriumphs. I put a rider on them that is 1.8 meters tall but even riders up to 1.9 meters will fit fine on an sr.

You still convinced it's tiny and only suitable for little people ?

Yes the seat height is 31" I believe which is taller than a CBR250/Ninja 250, about the same as a CBR500. They're not huge bikes but they're not tiny either. Fine for an average farang.

Thai lad in my moo bahn has made his own cafe racer.

Don't know what model the bike comes from, but he's put a Honda emblem on it. The engine is a 150cc platinum. Did a really good job in fairness to him. Nice little hobby.

Hmmm...second hand ER6 with sub 10000KMs for 2KTHB or SR400 for 2K65THB.

Kawa wins hands down.

Stallions motorbike shop here in Phuket town has just started selling a cafe racer model that looks like a copy of the SR400 (but it is a 150). Cool looking bike from a distance...but the quality of the engineering is horrid. The struts that hold the pillion pegs are a good example.

Sorry dont have any photos...maybe someone else does.

Oh..the price is about 60KTHB...

Is this what you mean? It's made in Thailand rather than China, not that that is an endorsement of quality.post-153149-0-58209500-1396865883_thumb.post-153149-0-72719400-1396865912_thumb. Edited by BirdsandBooze

• 2 months later...

Was at Yamaha Ratchada today and they have a cream coloured one in the showroom. It's not bad looking. But kick start, 175kg, 23hp / 27 nM torque, rear drum brake, a fuel tap! etc etc.

I wouldn't pay 250K to go back in time.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

i love the sr400 series but for that kinda money id be very tempted to get an new er6n or something

its a cool old bike but 265k is steep imo

• Like 1

I think there are one too many zeros in that price tag, or perhaps it is the price in Vietnam in Dong? Utter madness, it's a small cheap bike with only one cylinder, a Honda Wave with a rebore.