New SR400's for sale

CTO

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1honda500.jpg

The Nouvo Elegance and my new Yamaha SR400 are within an inch of each other in height Dave.

The scanned image above is from over 30 years ago. I'm at my farm with a friend on the 500 Honda XL I used to own. Depending on what figures you want to believe this bike had

30 horsepower or slightly more and weighed roughly 295 pounds so it was substantially lighter than my SR400. This was Honda's answer to Yamaha's SR500, and like the Yamaha it had kickstart only but it was set up for on/off road with smaller tires than my SR400 has. Its speedometer only went up to 85 miles an hour and the bike would peg out at that and keep accelerating. It had loads of torque and was pretty scary on narrow hilly trails in the woods. I wound up trading it for a BMW R-65 650, which was the best all around bike I ever owned.

XL500 was the answer to the Yamaha XT500 really. The thing I disliked about the XL500 was the 23 inch front wheel, looks awful to my eyes. The best of the Jap 500 single trail bikes was the Suzuki DR500 imho.