New SR400's for sale

CTO

This bike is priced high but you have to remember. It is a low volume niche model. Thais love paying too much for something then bragging about it later. It is a relatively low seat height and SR 400 have a kind of cult following here. It is also fully road legal and brand new.

Besides, when you can make it into something like this what's not to like?

post-22617-0-41326400-1409636181_thumb.jpost-22617-0-32802000-1409636209_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't thing the new SR will sell a lot of bike in Thailand. There are so many older ones around for a fraction of the price. Granted, they don't have green books, but that's only a problem if you live in Bkk or Pattaya.

Different story in the US and Europe (except Germany perhaps), where lots of people were 'starving'for SR. The old ones were very difficult to find in the US. I personally know of 5 people there who already bought one.

An electric starter on the SR? Aaaarrrgghhh HERESY!!!!

Seriously, no need for that.

The SR has to stay the way it's always been. The FI is already a big concession to modern times imo.

Yamaha could come up with another retro bike, though, maybe with a nice XS styled engine.

If an Enfield Bullet can have an electric start - then why not an SR?

I'd like to see them bring back the RD350LC (with FI and an electric startbiggrin.png )

Why on earth? The RD 350 would be so easy to kick to life, hot or cold!

I'vemade many people unhappy, 2-stroke smoke billowing out when started cold... I miss the Rd 350, too. Fireworks at 6,000 rpm thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

The Yamaha SR 400 is overpriced and does not measure up in the power department to the likes of a Honda 500,and it costs more to boot. I expect it to vibrate at high speeds also and I doubt if it will go much past 80 miles an hour. I should be getting mine on Monday. So what to do about my beloved Nouvo Elegance now nearly 6 years old? I'm keeping it because it really is that good. For an all around bike for Pattaya I just don't see anything else that will beat it. As for the SR 400 it's going to be my toy and my time machine to the past. Been in the states for nearly a month now and got back, and that horrible carburator in my Elegance made me spend a good half a minute trying to start it. No such problem with my girlfriend's Filano because it has fuel injection, but hey, the Elegance started.

congrats for your new bike.

I can totally understand your words of toy and time machine for yamaha sr400, match perfectly.

happy and safe rides!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

The Yamaha SR 400 is overpriced and does not measure up in the power department to the likes of a Honda 500,and it costs more to boot. I expect it to vibrate at high speeds also and I doubt if it will go much past 80 miles an hour. I should be getting mine on Monday. So what to do about my beloved Nouvo Elegance now nearly 6 years old? I'm keeping it because it really is that good. For an all around bike for Pattaya I just don't see anything else that will beat it. As for the SR 400 it's going to be my toy and my time machine to the past. Been in the states for nearly a month now and got back, and that horrible carburator in my Elegance made me spend a good half a minute trying to start it. No such problem with my girlfriend's Filano because it has fuel injection, but hey, the Elegance started.

congrats for your new bike.

I can totally understand your words of toy and time machine for yamaha sr400, match perfectly.

happy and safe rides!

Thanks, Il2. I just took delivery of it today. Took awhile at the dealer to get used to the starting procedure, but once I got the hang of it, no problems. Drove very well taking it home.

Thanks for the review Jack. I think these bikes could be a lot of fun for cruising around and doing a few trips in comfort and style. I'm guessing the kick start will get easier as you get used to it and the engine beds down.

I agree because the initial designer had a gammy ankle and that's why they have the de-compression lever near the clutch lever, so I have read.

Good luck

My first view of an SR500 was in a Yamaha dealer in Melbourne. I thought it looked great! And I could be wrong, but I thought the Aussie model had a decompression lever.

Is there no decomp lever on the SR400?

My first view of an SR500 was in a Yamaha dealer in Melbourne. I thought it looked great! And I could be wrong, but I thought the Aussie model had a decompression lever.

Is there no decomp lever on the SR400?

They all have a decompression lever, BSJ.

Thank you for the review Jack. Are you coming to the DGR? Would love to see your new SR.

Hmmn ... yes also got excited for a minute or two. Would love a 400cc version of the tu250x, but the side view looks decidedly russian.

Back in '78 my riding buddy had an sr500 ... It could be a real ankle breaking bitch to start at times. I think an electric leg on the sr400

would be a good option.

Hmmn ... yes also got excited for a minute or two. Would love a 400cc version of the tu250x, but the side view looks decidedly russian.

Back in '78 my riding buddy had an sr500 ... It could be a real ankle breaking bitch to start at times. I think an electric leg on the sr400

would be a good option.

Or both, like the RE Continental GT

• 2 weeks later...