Condo Network Issues

SailingHome

Strange...! Speed test is smokin at 70+Mb/s down and 40up. Pings by name or by ip to google, amazon, and a host of others very fast. Traceroutes quick. So why does it NEVER complete a google page request? Neither http://google.com not .co.th and even if trying from search bar in 3 browsers. Using Android, btw.

Any thoughts?

What are your DNS servers set to:

Is the page rendering issue only with Google, or google sites? (Does ThaiVisa render OK?)

I'd suggest running downloading DNSBench from GRC's Website to find a set of DNS servers that work for you.

Mostly only google, but some other sites are also several minutes to load that my 2g loads quickly. Torrents are fine. ThaiVisa app is fine.

DNS is given via DHCP as one from True and the other is a Google DNS. How can it be DNS if tracert and ping by name resolves in sub-10ms?

Mostly only google, but some other sites are also several minutes to load that my 2g loads quickly. Torrents are fine. ThaiVisa app is fine.

DNS is given via DHCP as one from True and the other is a Google DNS. How can it be DNS if tracert and ping by name resolves in sub-10ms?

ThaiVisa app ...Are you connecting through a PC or some other device?

Torrents connect directly via IP address, they don't need to do DNS url ==> IP address conversions.

Traceroute and ping do a single DNS name => IP address conversion then rely on the result IP address for all further interaction.

Some DNS servers may resolve names sub-10ms but due to heavy contention and become unreliable on some lookups, causing page rendering delays.

I'm on TOT adsl but have had issues with the isp DNS servers being slow to issue results. Had been using Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but for whatever reason the results from those servers became slow or non-existent. Currently using 117.121.210.110 (apple.beenets.com) and 203.113.127.199 (dns2.totbb.net) as they rank the quickest and most reliable in the dsnbench test.

Some operating systems allow you to define your own name server in the network setting menus, overriding the DHCP delivered numbers.

Cool. Now it makes sense!

So... given that the condo displays a login screen then afterward via dhcp assigns an IP and sets the dns, etc., how on an android can I configure my own DNS choices?

Normally the condo system will issue your device IP/Gateway/DNS but redirect all traffic to an http: login screen for authentication. Once authenticated the MAC address of your device is recorded and all traffic associated with that MAC address is allowed to traverse through the gateway.

On an android device, try DNSet in the google play store

• Like 1

Cool. Now it makes sense!

So... given that the condo displays a login screen then afterward via dhcp assigns an IP and sets the dns, etc., how on an android can I configure my own DNS choices?

Normally the condo system will issue your device IP/Gateway/DNS but redirect all traffic to an http: login screen for authentication. Once authenticated the MAC address of your device is recorded and all traffic associated with that MAC address is allowed to traverse through the gateway.

On an android device, try DNSet in the google play store

Yes, this is MAC based.

I tried changing to fixed ip using the one provided (has been the same for a few days, not sure when expires or if it will.) Then set the DNS servers you suggested as well as some others. In all cases, I got marginally better connections to Google, but more sites began working. The googs would all take 3 minutes, never finish, or about 5% of the time be so smokin fast it was just a flash. Bing works instantly, Amazon, etc. (can't stand Bing, want google)

Tried DNSet after going back to dynamic. Same results as my static playing.

Isn't there a file where I can type in entries that get looked at before asking DNS? Maybe called lmhosts (it's been a decade since I retired from this stuff. lol.)

Muchos Gracias, Rich!

Isn't there a file where I can type in entries that get looked at before asking DNS? Maybe called lmhosts (it's been a decade since I retired from this stuff. lol.)

Muchos Gracias, Rich!

The file is called etc/hosts

Yes, this would be a perfect place to put static IP addresses to common sites.

Unfortunately, you need a rooted device (root access) to gain read/write access. If you have r/w access, try Hosts in the Play Store.

If you have a PC handy, try downloading and running one of these utilities to find the quickest and most reliable DNS:

Namebench and download the latest version of the software for your Operating System.
GRC's Website and download DNSBench.

--

PS: Glad to see you got UC Browser working for you.

• Like 1

Yeah... 3am forgot to mention I found the hosts file. Added google.co.th and google.com. That helped a little.

Yea, I'm sure ...Just the google home page requires DNS lookups for

www.google.co.th

ssl.gstatic.com

plus.google.com

lh6.googleusercontent.com

www.google.com

apis.google.com

clients1.google.co.th

• Like 1

Yeah... 3am forgot to mention I found the hosts file. Added google.co.th and google.com. That helped a little.

Yea, I'm sure ...Just the google home page requires DNS lookups for

www.google.co.th

ssl.gstatic.com

plus.google.com

lh6.googleusercontent.com

www.google.com

apis.google.com

clients1.google.co.th

So... I should not use any * nomenclature, but ping each of those from my locale and add to hosts?

I did ping on google.com and entered the ip as *.google.com, then did ping for google.co

th and added the ip as *.google.co.th

I also noticed that many of these have different ip addresses depending on where you are in the world. Am I going to have to modify hosts every major geo change I go?

I'd suggest you create two host files. One to deal with the strangeness of your current condo, the other probably blank (or as it was originally) that will work everywhere else.

Does the HOST app have multiple version options?

As some point the original DNS settings of the condo will start working again when someone finds the cause of the lost packet issue.

Google is usually very fast and reliable for most people.

• Like 1

I'd suggest you create two host files. One to deal with the strangeness of your current condo, the other probably blank (or as it was originally) that will work everywhere else.

Does the HOST app have multiple version options?

As some point the original DNS settings of the condo will start working again when someone finds the cause of the lost packet issue.

Google is usually very fast and reliable for most people.

Yep. Google is backboned like hot fusion. That's why it is so perplexing.

I chose Hosts Editor. It has the ability to toggle individual entries.

• Like 1