running Windows 7 and Linux on same laptop ?

BKKdreaming

I would like to put both Windows 7 and Linux on the same laptop , mostly so i can learn something about Linux ,

is there a simple program to do this ?

how easy is to switch betwen the 2 ? do I need to shut down the computer ?

I might put it on a 120GB solid state HD I have , any problems with that ?

Thanks for your help or pointing me in the right direction :)

BK

I have done it with XP as Rhythmworx mentions

I doubt Win 7 will be any different

Start with Win 7, then install Ubuntu

At boot up you should get a menu allowing you to select the OS you want to run

Check this link for more details

Edited by astral
Adding link

Use a Virtual Machine such as Vmware Player or Virtual Box. If the Host computer has a Genuine Windows 7 system, you can use Virtual PC. They're free and don't require you to reboot. Virtual Machines allow you to run a computer within a computer. Also whatever you do in a Virtual Client doesn't affect the Host Computer, but the hardware (such as USB ports) of the Host Computer can be shared by the Virtual Client.

Edited by BB1950

Good advice from BB1950

Virtual machine is the way to go if you are only testing Linux. You will find many tutorials i=on the net on how to do this.

Decide what you want your main operating system to be (Windows or Linux),

Install the virtual machine software. I like VMware Player but you can also use Virtual Box or Virtual PC, and then when you start the program it is as if you were starting a computer within a computer and then install the other operating system(s). Yes you can have more than one virtual machine installed if you wish to try and compare

My main machine is Ubuntu and I have VMware player for Windoze 7 but now only boot in to it Windoze about once every 2 or 3 months and when I do I find I spend longer installing updates than I do completing the minor task I wanted to use it forsad.png

One other option is to run Ubuntu from DVD if your machine has a DVD drive but installing it in a VM makes it customizable and is the better choice if you want to install other drivers and programs.

One other option is to run Ubuntu from DVD if your machine has a DVD drive but installing it in a VM makes it customizable and is the better choice if you want to install other drivers and programs.

Unless you have a sophisticated passthrough set up you would not be able to test

video drivers for example.

Note that some live DVDs allow for persistent change to be saved on DVD(yes you can do this) or on USB drive. Slako linux for example(AKA Puppy linux)

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas, I never thought of a virtual machine....

one thing I would like to be able to do is use Linux to open files and CD DVDs that I am not sure of as far as viruses etc.

will that be safer ? I would have virus software on both set ups anyway.

BK

1/. Download the .iso file of your preferred linux distibution from distrowatch.com. The one I prefer is lubuntu 13.10

2/. get a small program for windows, unetbootin, via sourceforge.net. Install the .exe file.

3/. put an empty usb stick (2Gb or larger) into your computer, disconnect other usb devices, run unetbootin

4/.select the disk image option (not the distribution option), and direct it to where you have downloaded the .iso

5/. When complete, unetbootin will ask you to reboot computer. As it prepares to reboot, get into your BIOS -

that is usually achieved by repeatedly tapping F12 key on boot-up

6/. Select usb stick as operating system.

7/. With Ubuntu-derivatives, a screen comes up asking you to choose from install (don't do this yet!), default option etc. Choose default

8/. Then you can 'play' with linux, see if you really like it, and maybe install later.

9/. Don't forget your wifi password.

Good luck, AA

• Like 1

Yes a virtual machine would be much safer. The only risk is through a network infection which can easily be turned off. As I said earlier what is done on the virtual machine does not effect the host and you can easily throw away changes if need be. I use them all the time for that and checking out if applications have crap-ware bundled. Also comes in handily for exploring new operating systems. Also iso images can be mounted as DVDs. The only thing you have to watch out for is sometimes the graphics/video is not supported for all modes that your graphics adapter supports.

Edited by BB1950

Not to hi-jack this thread but a related question:

I have an older laptop with XP that I don't often use. Though curious, I have never used LINUX. Since XP is about to be abandoned by MS, I thought installing it on this older machine might be a good way for me to try it.

What is the simplest version of LINUX to install and use for a total LINUX beginner?

Any hints and warnings of possible pitfalls appreciated.

dddave, put lubuntu 13.10 on a stick as above. There are much smaller linux distributions (puppy and derivatives),

but ubuntu/lubuntu/xubuntu are pre-configured for dummies like myself,

and have access to expansive 'repositories' for media plyers (such as vlc), calibre for ebooks, and so forth.

Cheers, AA

• Like 1

Just to have a look at Linux i can reccomend Puppy i have just done it on a old PC that wouldnt take other distros i put it on usb stick on boot up choose the stick and away you go remmember it dosent look like windows and you can have ago there is plenty of help on the linux forums it's a learning curve but well worth it.

If i can do anybody can.

Good Luck

You can either install both alongside which means you need to reboot the computer if you want to use the other systems or you can install windows and run Linux in a virtual machine under windows.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

#1 - this thread should probably be in the linux forum, might get more attention there?

#2 - ubuntu used to have something called WUBI (IIRC) which was sort of a self-contained virtual machine to run under windowze, not sure if it still exists but might be worth a try if you don't want to or don't have the resources for installing virtualbox or vmware

also, must mainstream linux distros can be run from a livecd, if you just want to get a taste. personally i would recommend lubuntu for a new user.

Which Linux "brand" looks and acts the most like windows, and has support for browsers and media players ( DVD player and USB stick ) which I guess is what I use most.

it looks like ubuntu is the most supported that I have seen

and what about Google Chrome like the Chromebook uses ?

Which Linux "brand" looks and acts the most like windows, and has support for browsers and media players ( DVD player and USB stick ) which I guess is what I use most.

it looks like ubuntu is the most supported that I have seen

and what about Google Chrome like the Chromebook uses ?

I use Ubuntu, but if you want something that looks and feels more like XP then maybe you should try Lubuntu or Mint

I have played a little with Mint and it has lots of advantages for the beginner over Ubuntu for XP users but I have never experimented with Lubunu although I am sure others here have and will be happy to comment further.

Not to hi-jack this thread but a related question:

I have an older laptop with XP that I don't often use. Though curious, I have never used LINUX. Since XP is about to be abandoned by MS, I thought installing it on this older machine might be a good way for me to try it.

What is the simplest version of LINUX to install and use for a total LINUX beginner?

Any hints and warnings of possible pitfalls appreciated.

What 'aarn' said.

Also there is nothing wrong with XP3.

dddave, put lubuntu 13.10 on a stick as above. There are much smaller linux distributions (puppy and derivatives),

but ubuntu/lubuntu/xubuntu are pre-configured for dummies like myself,

and have access to expansive 'repositories' for media plyers (such as vlc), calibre for ebooks, and so forth.

Cheers, AA

I would say use Linux Mint(which is essentially Ubuntu) as it will save a "total beignner" the headache of getting all the codecs he

needs to play movies etc. The only reason I would use Ubuntu is that at least the latest version uses a newer

kernel which may have needed drivers, like for WiFi, included.

The next linux Mint will be a killer.

Have a look at LXLE: http://lxle.net/
Very nicely done, long term support, works well out of the box. Got it on a netbook and like it a lot. Recommended!

Couple links of interest:

How to install Linux Mint on your XP PC

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/413083/which-linux-mint-apps-can-replace-windows-xp-software

Note that some live DVDs allow for persistent change to be saved on DVD(yes you can do this) or on USB drive. Slako linux for example(AKA Puppy linux)

Not on DVD, no. The persistence is accomplished by putting the save file on some writable medium, usually the hard drive of the booted machine. Puppy at least allows encryption of the save file.

Running Linux in a VM on a Windows machine is very doable but issues about sharing and passthrough will need to be addressed. If you're not experienced, there's a slight learning curve.

aarn gave great advice above about running from a USB stick.

Dual booting as requested in the OP is pretty nice. If you get tired of it and want to get rid of the Linux, follow the instructions here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/141818/how-to-uninstall-a-linux-dual-boot-system-from-your-computer/

You'll need a Windows repair disc; here's now to make it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

• Like 1

Have a look at LXLE: http://lxle.net/

Very nicely done, long term support, works well out of the box. Got it on a netbook and like it a lot. Recommended!

Couple links of interest:

How to install Linux Mint on your XP PC

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/413083/which-linux-mint-apps-can-replace-windows-xp-software

Not on DVD, no. The persistence is accomplished by putting the save file on some writable medium, usually the hard drive of the booted machine. Puppy at least allows encryption of the save file.

Running Linux in a VM on a Windows machine is very doable but issues about sharing and passthrough will need to be addressed. If you're not experienced, there's a slight learning curve.

aarn gave great advice above about running from a USB stick.

Dual booting as requested in the OP is pretty nice. If you get tired of it and want to get rid of the Linux, follow the instructions here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/141818/how-to-uninstall-a-linux-dual-boot-system-from-your-computer/

You'll need a Windows repair disc; here's now to make it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

You seem to be wrong. They claim that they CAN write back to the live CD/DVD

http://puppylinux.com/multi-puppy.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux#cite_note-10

"....Puppy Linux has a unique feature which sets it apart from other Linux distributions: the ability to offer a normal persistently updating working environment on a write-once multisession CD/DVD. (It does not require a rewritable CD/DVD.) Puppy automatically detects changes in the file system and saves them incrementally on the disc.[10] "

I would advise a beginner staying with Ubuntu or one of its near cousins (Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint etc) as there s so much help available on the web that om 6 years of use I have yet to experience any issue I was unable to find a solution for with very little searching.

You seem to be wrong. They claim that they CAN write back to the live CD/DVD

http://puppylinux.com/multi-puppy.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux#cite_note-10

"....Puppy Linux has a unique feature which sets it apart from other Linux distributions: the ability to offer a normal persistently updating working environment on a write-once multisession CD/DVD. (It does not require a rewritable CD/DVD.) Puppy automatically detects changes in the file system and saves them incrementally on the disc.[10] "

Hmmmm. OK then. Thanks for the correction.

do I need to make a partition for the Virtual Machine ?

No

After installing the virtual machine software, you then use that software ti install the guest machine (Linux). The installation process will ask you what size of installation you want and create a file on your machine of that size which holds the complete guest machine installation. .

This also means you can transfer your guest machine to another computer just by copying the file providing the new computer has the same virtual machine software.

You are given options as to the size of file to create which equates to the virtual partition size for the guest machine. This very much depends on what you want to do, but the defaults should be OK. for a basic test installation

I have done it with XP as Rhythmworx mentions

I doubt Win 7 will be any different

Start with Win 7, then install Ubuntu

At boot up you should get a menu allowing you to select the OS you want to run

Check this link for more details

Exactly how colleague says during the installation of Windows give yourself one partition with free space, and then install linux on it. boot.ini file should update and give you the option when you run your computer next time to choice of which operating system you want to use.

This sounds more like the now obsolete WUBI install that is no longer supported by Ubuntu & similar systems than a Virtual Machine install

Unless you are running serious windows games or you have an application

that requies ALL the power of your machine, I would recommend running

windows 7 or XP in a virtualbox session. It can access all your hardware and with some tweaking

can even use video drivers.

Other similar programs are Vmware and qemu(linux or unix only)

Dual booting would otherwise just be a waste of resources. For backup of movies etc that you

may want to play on a friends machine or at work u can use an NTFS formated thumbdrive,

Unless you are running serious windows games or you have an application

that requies ALL the power of your machine, I would recommend running

windows 7 or XP in a virtualbox session. It can access all your hardware and with some tweaking

can even use video drivers.

Other similar programs are Vmware and qemu(linux or unix only)

Dual booting would otherwise just be a waste of resources. For backup of movies etc that you

may want to play on a friends machine or at work u can use an NTFS formated thumbdrive,

All very true.

I would caution against thinking that you can run modern graphics-intensive games in your Win 7 or XP virtualbox, however. Sadly, they just aren't going to run well at all.