Comodo Anti-Virus for Linux

Richard-BKK

We Linux users always believe we not need antivirus software, and the truth is I never had in my 15-years using Linux any problems with a computer virus. But now that I started to use more and more a few MS Windows computer on our network and I run a few applications with Wine on my Linux box I started to think about some additional protection. Also most of our clients use MS Windows computers, and while we confident that we not get infected by the average computer virus we can still distribute one.

So a few days back I was introduced to COMODO anti-virus for Linux, and it has binary packages in rpm and deb for to work with most popular Linux distributions.... http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus-for-linux.php

One thing you should know that things did not work right away with our Fedora 19 systems, as we run Linux Kernel 3.11 and you need a few tricks to get Comodo anti-virus to work with Linux kernel 3.11... but after a few tricks and searches on Internet I got the thing working, now it automatically checks incoming and outgoing email... and amazingly Comodo anti-virus found 32 suspicious files on one of my computers (all in Wine folders....).

I once read that the only reason why you should run a virus scanner on a Linux computer is to scan attachments from your e-mail system because if you read your e-mail and it has an attachments WITH a virus and you forward it, the receiver will now have a virus as well!

I don't think there are viruses for Linux active at the moment.

I have used clamav to scan samba shares on Linux servers, but wasn't aware comodo had a free solution available, is it truly open source? Never used any av on my personal Linux box, and probably never will

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus SlimKat using Tapatalk

Thanks for this info. I had a lot of trouble trying to use clamav, so ditched it (last year). Comodo seems to have all the right moves,

using it with Lubuntu 13.10 and a solid state drive it is fast.

Cheers, AA