Why shops are allowed to openly steal from customers

JesseFrank

Went to a Big Supermarket in Pattaya today. I will not name and shame but lets say the quality grade of their produce is in the name.

They have a section of pre-packed cut fruit. For example they had loose green grapes, the one that have fallen from the stem already, at 69 Bht/kg.

I noticed though that all packs were 712 gram. I know this trick and could feel that they were quite light, so I picked 2 packs and put them on the scale. One was 326 gram the other 348 gram, so both less than half their quoted weight.

They also had sliced Cantaloupe which was also 69 Bht/kg, but these packages were all 858 gram, and weight in reality about same as the grapes.

There were numerous other fruits sold in the same manner, set price/kg and all identical weight printed on the label, but in reality far from correct weighted.

Now before you say vote with your feet, I am aware of this practice and don't buy into it, but at the end of the day all packages are gone to customers who are not aware of it,

And in fact the shop is in that case effectively cheating and stealing from their customers, as they label their product wrong with intend.

I know this is not the west, but I'm sure there are laws in Thailand as well that prohibit this kind of practices, yet it is shown openly to the public without anyone doing something about.

If it concerned just one kind of fruit I could believe that it was a honest mistake, but it were at least 6 different kind of fruits, and all were labeled in the same swindling manner.This is also not the first time I discover this, but they just do as they please.

Why is this allowed in this country ?

By the way, on the way home I passed a Powerful appliance store with nationwide branches, and they had a booth on the parking lot that said in big letters, clearance sale 80% discount.

As I noticed a side by side fridge, I stopped by and the label on the fridge said 59.900 Baht, where the same fridge is sold inside and elsewhere at 74.990 Bht. Maybe their calculator had an error, but I noticed other items normally 15.900 Bht and after 80% discount only 12.000 Bht whistling.gif

Again, how can they get away with it ?

Maybe we should make a thread where all these practices are pointed out, as a service to members that are not aware of it.

• Like 2

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Caveat emptor, you live in a place without consumer protection laws enforcement.

That's the way it is, deal with it.

Wait, there is another word for that. Is it apologist ?

There are consumer laws, and a consumer protection board, the fact that the laws are not enforced is no excuse. They are not enforced because the enforcers are probably paid off by the businesses that have a monopoly in Thailand.

Caveat emptor, you live in a place without consumer protection laws enforcement.

That's the way it is, deal with it.

Wait, there is another word for that. Is it apologist ?

There are consumer laws, and a consumer protection board, the fact that the laws are not enforced is no excuse. They are not enforced because the enforcers are probably paid off by the businesses that have a monopoly in Thailand.

Hence his reply.

It is how it is.

• Like 1

The laissez faire slogan was popularized by Vincent de Gournay, a French Physiocrat and intendant of commerce in the 1750s, who is said to have adopted the term from François Quesnay's writings on China.

So the French stole it from the Chinese and the Thais stole it from the French or French Indo China.

Laissez-faire (/ˌlɛsˈfɛər-/, French: [lɛsefɛʁ] (13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.png listen)) is an economic environment in which transactions between private parties are free from government restrictions.

• Like 1

The laissez faire slogan was popularized by Vincent de Gournay, a French Physiocrat and intendant of commerce in the 1750s, who is said to have adopted the term from François Quesnay's writings on China.

So the French stole it from the Chinese and the Thais stole it from the French or French Indo China.

Laissez-faire (/ˌlɛsˈfɛər-/, French: [lɛsefɛʁ] (13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.png listen)) is an economic environment in which transactions between private parties are free from government restrictions.

Point being ?

What this have to do with the topic ?

We are here talking about a transaction between a business conglomerate and a private customer.

Not making an excuse, just pointing out that we have to deal with reality as it presents itself rather than how we'd like it to be.

Stupid people pay more, fact of life, no nanny state can prevent that without making life miserable for everyone.

• Like 1

Not making an excuse, just pointing out that we have to deal with reality as it presents itself rather than how we'd like it to be.

Stupid people pay more, fact of life, no nanny state can prevent that without making life miserable for everyone.

Again, this is not about stupid people or overpriced items, this is about intentionally falsifying price labels.

There are no safety nets in asia. Your warranty runs out when you hand over the cash.

It might take at least another 20 years for them to catch up to European standards of the 80's.

Perhaps Thai visa can open another section marked " Thai tricks to be aware of".

• Like 1

We are here talking about a transaction between a business conglomerate and a private customer.

It is without government interference, yo nanny is at home boy. Laissez-faire. It has everything to do with the topic if you were bright enough to read my post. The transaction is between you and the store not the government. That is called Laissez-faire and it is not how they do it in Australia.

• Like 2

It is without government interference, yo nanny is at home boy. Laissez-faire. It has everything to do with the topic if you were bright enough to read my post. The transaction is between you and the store not the government. That is called Laissez-faire and it is not how they do it in Australia.

post-179267-0-10935500-1396619549_thumb.

• Like 2

Aw flaming again boys? You can do better. Read my post and try and put together an answer related to what I wrote not what you think of me. This is Thailand. Not the nanny state you are used to. Thailand is Laissez-faire.

• Like 2

Again, this is not about stupid people or overpriced items, this is about intentionally falsifying price labels.

I meant that stupid people pay more because merchants rip them off with impunity.

As a consumer you have to keep your wits about you and protect yourself, no one else will do it for you here.

And we like it that way, much preferable to a government trying to control everything.

Personally I think shopping for stuff in Thailand in places that clearly mark their prices is more likely to mean you're overpaying. Best prices can be found where you can haggle with the seller. But of course you have to know the going rate, ideally what he paid for it, and have to have your wits about you.

• Like 1

Aw flaming again boys? You can do better. Read my post and try and put together an answer related to what I wrote not what you think of me. This is Thailand. Not the nanny state you are used to. Thailand is Laissez-faire.

An action, in this case your laissez faire comment, deserves a reaction. Hence the reply. Laissez faire is an attitude. About indifference. So according to you ...Thailand is indifferent. To take it wider....cheating is thailand. Hmmm ....not expected that from you.

An action, in this case your laissez faire comment, deserves a reaction. Hence the reply. Laissez faire is an attitude. About indifference. So according to you ...Thailand is indifferent. To take it wider....cheating is thailand. Hmmm ....not expected that from you.

lais·sez–faire

noun \ˌle-ˌsā-ˈfer, ˌlā-, -ˌzā-\

economics : a policy that allows businesses to operate with very little interference from the government.

You can call it cheating the dictionary calls it lais·sez–faire.

lais·sez–faire

economics : a policy that allows businesses to operate with very little interference from the government.

You can call it cheating the dictionary calls it lais·sez–faire.

Prices in Thai supermarkets are controlled by the government.

the powerful apliance store, mostly they have DISCOUNT (than in tiny letters: up to) 80% this practice is happening all over the world.

about the fruits, doubt the government are interested in sich matters, for me if I see a price on somthing I think if I want to pay the price stated for that article and not look at the weight.

besides that I would never buy fruit or veggies from a big supermarket when I buy it on the normal market for half the price and three times the quality! and it happens I live next to a market so more convenient as well.

looking in the mirror I still can remember seeing all those Dutch housewifes in the supermarkets weighing apples put the price and then sneaky put one extra in the bag and smiling walking away for that one free apple.....

Forgive typo's, on the phone.

Edited by Marcel1

lais·sezfaire

You can call it cheating the dictionary calls it lais·sezfaire.

Ok....i do u a favour. a policy that allows......the government.

Result being......dishonesty with the aim of getting paid for what is not actually supplied.

Falsifying...cheating....whatever one wants to call it.

That is Thailand according to u.

Again i am surprised.

Point being ?

Point being apparently that outright fraud, theft, and corruption should be happily accepted and welcomed.

No need for improvement or change. 555

Only in your dreams.

They've been trying, but only for 30-40 commodities, and haven't had much success.

Such attempts just create all kinds of market inefficiencies and ends up costing consumers/taxpayers a lot more than letting things find their own level.

Anyway nothing to do with your more valid complaint about consumer protection, but they don't come close to living up to their lip-service wrt to that either.

So the answer to your OP title question - because this is Thailand.

• Like 1

lais·sezfaire

You can call it cheating the dictionary calls it lais·sezfaire.

Ok....i do u a favour. a policy that allows......the government.

Result being......dishonesty with the aim of getting paid for what is not actually supplied.

Falsifying...cheating....whatever one wants to call it.

That is Thailand according to u.

Again i am surprised.

I don't like nanny states. I came to Thailand 40 years ago and was relieved to find a country that was not a nanny state. Some need em. Some don't. The government that governs least in my opinion is the best. The government is not cheating the OP at the store. The store is cheating the OP. You have to be totally clueless not to have figured out that by now.

That is what the thread is about. The store stealing from customers.

• Like 1

Only in your dreams.

They've been trying, but only for 30-40 commodities, and haven't had much success.

Such attempts just create all kinds of market inefficiencies and ends up costing consumers/taxpayers a lot more than letting things find their own level.

Anyway nothing to do with your more valid complaint about consumer protection, but they don't come close to living up to their lip-service wrt to that either.

So the answer to your OP title question - because this is Thailand.

Consumer protection in Thailand, called the OCPB, are very effective and are doing a great job. Have good experiences with them. The larger companies in Thailand are also very aware of that.

Of course OCPB will not bother about a pack of cut fruit.

Another Supermarket chain, not ONCE yet have all the items in my trolley been the same as the prices stated on the shelf, there are always two or three items HIGHER through the till than stated on the shelf price tag. I see items on the shelf passed there date too, which I simply leave.

I couldnt care less, it just keeps my observation keen and if I dont like it I dont buy it and any corrections through the till are pointed out and refunded with a smile.

The 80% thing you mention usually applies to ONE specific item not ALL, or can mean 80% off the recommended selling price.

Which basically means they just play with the figures to make it look good.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

Isnt it amazing how someone can post a topic to help members and it turns into a shit fight , Some people just come on here to start one .

I agree with you. If I started a thread with value laden phrases like "is in that case effectively cheating and stealing from their customers, Again, how can they get away with it ?" I would expect to start a fight.

So If I didn't want a fight I'd start with much more neutral language than cheating and stealing.

In fact I would write a letter and mail it to the president of the store and see if I got a response.

But that's just me. When I have a problem I take care of it myself and don't try and be an internet rabble rouser till I've exhausted all of my personal options.

Edited by thailiketoo

Another Supermarket chain, not ONCE yet have all the items in my trolley be the same as the prices stated on the shelf, there are always two or three items HIGHER through the till than stated on the shelf price tag. I see items on the shelf passed there date too.

I couldnt care less, it just keeps my observation keen and if I dont like it I dont buy it and any corrections through the till are pointed out and refunded with a smile.

Mistakes like wrong priced items happen, though it should be avoided.

The OP is about intentionally wrong labeling items, which makes it a criminal offense.

• Like 1