TEFL jobs for the over 45s ?

Nothing is ever done about unqualified foreigners coming here and 'teaching' English just for their own benefit, unfortunately. You are NOT an English teacher so why do it without proper training, without a degree you will be illegally employed anyway. Would you let a novice fix your car or take care of your teeth? or teach your kids? Thailand really does not need another clueless English teacher thank you.

Getting a work permit without a degree is not impossible or illegal. It is just preferred by schools and institutes. As my original post stated, without a degree the OP will be fighting for scraps. Is he passionate about teaching or could he become passionate about teaching, is for him to decide only.

Nothing is ever done about unqualified foreigners coming here and 'teaching' English just for their own benefit, unfortunately. You are NOT an English teacher so why do it without proper training, without a degree you will be illegally employed anyway. Would you let a novice fix your car or take care of your teeth? or teach your kids? Thailand really does not need another clueless English teacher thank you.

Getting a work permit without a degree is not impossible or illegal. It is just preferred by schools and institutes. As my original post stated, without a degree the OP will be fighting for scraps. Is he passionate about teaching or could he become passionate about teaching, is for him to decide only.

I think that would spend on the type of permit. As far as I'm aware it is a legal requirement for TEFL teachers to have a degree.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for some people. Teaching isn't about how many credentials you have, although you must be very proficient in English.

Teaching is a gift and many people with stacks of degrees don't have it. I have visited two rural schools in Isaan who have never had an NES. I was invited to teach for a couple of days and I had a blast. The real English teacher is Thai and can hardly speak English. She can teach grammar, up to a point. She teaches English in Thai.

I spent years teaching piano, only to gifted students. Do this. Close your eyes and count to ten in your mind as fast as you can and find out how limited you are. Now drum your fingers on your table twice, as fast as you can. You can hit the table ten times with your fingers far faster than you can count to ten in your mind and you haven't begun to study yet.

When you drummed your fingers, it was two groups of five. That's why you were faster. Only two things to think about as opposed to ten in your mind. So how do you get a student to drum like that while hitting the right notes so that he is playing faster than you can think? When you do that, you are teaching. When the student breaks though, you both win and it is as exciting for the teacher as it is for the student. When that is played for an audience, they are amazed. But the pianist is simply grouping phrases into one thing. Simple, really. Very hard at first. The teacher must get very creative.

In both schools I visited I was offered a job. I couldn't consider it because I was leaving. I was offered 25K in cash plus a room in a dorm and meals on school days.

That's peanuts to me, but I would have loved to stay and really teach those kids how to write and speak English. I'd run circles around some of the "teachers" I had in school.

Cheers

It might be a 'gift' up to a point and although no guarantee of ability qualifications do help!. I wonder how many people would consider being a doctor a gift and be happy being treated by an unqualified one? When we are talking about English teachers being lets loose on Thai kids some have different standards to back home. Would you be happy at an unqualified foreign teacher back home teaching your kids who only wanted to be in the country to be with his GF? probably not. Why should Thai kids have to settle for unqualified inexperienced teachers just because some foreigner wants to see his GF?

I feel sorry for some people. Teaching isn't about how many credentials you have, although you must be very proficient in English.

Teaching is a gift and many people with stacks of degrees don't have it. I have visited two rural schools in Isaan who have never had an NES. I was invited to teach for a couple of days and I had a blast. The real English teacher is Thai and can hardly speak English. She can teach grammar, up to a point. She teaches English in Thai.

I spent years teaching piano, only to gifted students. Do this. Close your eyes and count to ten in your mind as fast as you can and find out how limited you are. Now drum your fingers on your table twice, as fast as you can. You can hit the table ten times with your fingers far faster than you can count to ten in your mind and you haven't begun to study yet.

When you drummed your fingers, it was two groups of five. That's why you were faster. Only two things to think about as opposed to ten in your mind. So how do you get a student to drum like that while hitting the right notes so that he is playing faster than you can think? When you do that, you are teaching. When the student breaks though, you both win and it is as exciting for the teacher as it is for the student. When that is played for an audience, they are amazed. But the pianist is simply grouping phrases into one thing. Simple, really. Very hard at first. The teacher must get very creative.

In both schools I visited I was offered a job. I couldn't consider it because I was leaving. I was offered 25K in cash plus a room in a dorm and meals on school days.

That's peanuts to me, but I would have loved to stay and really teach those kids how to write and speak English. I'd run circles around some of the "teachers" I had in school.

Cheers

Sounds like a close shave for those students!

I have previously been ESL Teaching in Thailand with all the correct Visas Qualifications and Work Permits and considering a return this term but I am not sure if my Thai Culture Certificate would be valid for the TCT as it was completed post 2007 and my Teaching Licence went to the School and I never received my copy.

What are the current requirements in relation to this matter if anyone can supply the links I would be appreciative and thanks in advance .

Edited by MBChai