Thai women going to Azerbaijan and Russia to Work .

johnbotty

Dear Forum ,

My ex Thai wife seems to think that she has stumbled across a legitimate work opportunity in Azerbaijan . The opportunity has come around via a family friend who apparently has been working in Russia in a beauty spar , and has vouched apparently for the legitimacy of travelling to Azerbaijan . Its hard to get a real understanding of what is going on , as my ex wife still speaks mediocre , intermediate level English . She is a very vulnerable person , she works in a nice massage shop here in a pleasant area of Chinag Mai and lacks the street wise skills of some of the Thai girls I have met . I took her to England a few years ago we were both in are mid to late twenties , and she was completely unadaptive to what was a perfectly safe environment , despite this she still seems to be willing to fly to the old soviet block , it amazes me , Her older sister and friend , who work making silk garments actually quite a profitable business seem also totally unaware that they are in my opinion completely ill advised as to the danger and reality of going to work in a place like this . Yesterday they were having a great time reading about Azerbaijan on Wikipedia , none of them with any idea where the place was on a a map .

I have so far emailed the British embassy in Bangkok , and the Azerbaijan embassy in London in a bid to get some information emailed back to me to help dissuade her from gong through with such a ridiculous plan , her sister , cousins and co seemed to find my concern hilarious , perhaps just to conceal embarrassment , I don,t know .

Any way I would much appreciate any stories with people of prior knowledge of this sort of thing .

Apologies for any grammatical errors , I am A English Teacher

Man I feel for you. The ladies would be NUTS to do this. Keep trying to persuade her of the folly of this idea.

Really hope she doesn't go. Could be a complete disaster and at very best a bad experience.

Maybe 5 year ago while living in Phichit, my wife had some friends try to get her to go with them to some country in the middle east to work for some huge, according to them, money for 6 months. One of them ended up going and called home in about a week wanting help to come home.

Sending coals to Newcastle...only in this case, the coals will be pulverised before being burnt.

Please advise her again not to consider it.

Instead of Wiki articles about Azerbaijan, try news articles.

Also, point out the economy, the political situation, and the patronistic culture.

Kudos to you for caring.

Don't worry the visa process and combined cost of the flight will soon put her off. She will need a sponsor. Its quite complicated and expensive to get everything in order

Edited by Deserted

see will probably be locked in room and forced to service 30-50 customers a day ,more than likely given some food without salary and beaten if she complains

it even happens to women who are from eastern europe so an asian would have absoolutely no chance if she signs up to work in a whorehouse over there

but most likely some thai fixer is getting well paid on this side to source the young ladies ...........

ive read the men refuse to wear condoms so many of them get knocked up and have homemade abortions or are forced

to cater for men with pregnant woman fetishs until they eventually miscarriage .....stds very common as well

the victims are usually too shook up about the experience to ever talk about it never mind report it and the police know it goes on but like thailand , either too lazy to do

anything about it ot take a payment to look the other way

I know of a Thai girl working in admissions at CMU who worked for 2-3 years in Azerbaijan. I believe she was working in a hotel. Her degree was in law but she state the money was way better over there working in a hotel than starting at the bottom of the heap in Bangkok.

Don't worry the visa process and combined cost of the flight will soon put her off. She will need a sponsor. Its quite complicated and expensive to get everything in order

Yes, but if it's anything like the 'spa' operations in places like Dubai and Oman, the boss will pay the costs initially (padded up, of course), and take the money out of the girl's salary. Usually, they will hold the girl's passport so she can't run off. The girl may not make any money for herself for several months, depending how 'tips' are paid and monitored. It can be a really abusive 'business'.

It would be absolute madness to go to a spa overseas in such a place where you don't have a trusted friend who has worked there before and can tell you what the boss and customers are like. Her 'friend' worked in a Russian spa? That offers no comfort whatsoever. I know women who have gone to spas in the middle east (yes, I know it's a different part of the world), and only the 'hardened' ones can handle it. As I've mentioned, the boss pays the travel expenses but holds the passports so the girls have no freedom of movement. One friend was raped by a 'police officer' in the spa room ... he showed her his police ID and said he would make trouble for her and the boss if she said 'no'. Her powerlessness and some Thais' fear of corrupt police did the rest. In another place, a senior leader of the 'country' (it's not really a country, hint hint) had a deal with the French boss whereby he'd come to the spa and choose from among the latest arrivals from Thailand to bring back to his lavish quarters. They could not say no and he does not use a condom. Nasty nasty stuff. I'm not sure it would be any safer in Azerbajan.

It would be absolute madness to go to a spa overseas in such a place where you don't have a trusted friend who has worked there before and can tell you what the boss and customers are like. Her 'friend' worked in a Russian spa? That offers no comfort whatsoever. I know women who have gone to spas in the middle east (yes, I know it's a different part of the world), and only the 'hardened' ones can handle it. As I've mentioned, the boss pays the travel expenses but holds the passports so the girls have no freedom of movement. One friend was raped by a 'police officer' in the spa room ... he showed her his police ID and said he would make trouble for her and the boss if she said 'no'. Her powerlessness and some Thais' fear of corrupt police did the rest. In another place, a senior leader of the 'country' (it's not really a country, hint hint) had a deal with the French boss whereby he'd come to the spa and choose from among the latest arrivals from Thailand to bring back to his lavish quarters. They could not say no and he does not use a condom. Nasty nasty stuff. I'm not sure it would be any safer in Azerbajan.

Hint hint.....Bhutan ?

Azerrbajian has worked out well for several members of our beloved Thailand Ladies National Volleyball Team. They play in the pro leagues there and make good money. pays to have a unique marketable skill. Not for everybody. Chok dee.

Hint hint.....Bhutan ?

Nope, middle east. And not a 'real country' :-). Starts with a 'Du' and ends with an 'ai'...

• Like 1

Your concerns are righteous and the the danger is real. Do your best to talk her out of it, she clearly has no idea what she is about to get into. However if you fail and she decides to do it anyway then it's not your concern anymore. You did what you could.

I think it's a prime example of thai ignorance being a dangerous thing.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What we have here is a wind up.

"Apologies for any grammatical errors , I am A English Teacher". (the tip off)

The OP made this post as his fourth one with the other three being about the same thing, a one way ticket from England to Th.

I think the wool has been pulled over the eyes of many. 555

But yes, I feel for the desperate ladies who get sucked into these horrible arrangements no matter which country it is.

If you have any understanding of those countries you mention you know what will happen.

Pack with 10 in a house, taken away any contact and legal papers, work about 20 clients a day and die before she is in her mid thirties and AIDS.If she refuse die earlier because she have to repay the loan for the airline ticket.

But yes, I feel for the desperate ladies who get sucked into these horrible arrangements no matter which country it is.

Desperate or just greedy ? and the greed blinds them to making common sense decisions....if it seems to good to be true and all...wink.png