World Cup This Summer

kainy83

A bit early I know and we are in Thailand, but has anyone heard or know what is going to happen for the world cup this year?

I know the times are not the best

but it would be good to know

Will it be on normal TV (sophon) as the euro's were a couple of year ago

CTH do they have any input???

Any comments could be helpful please

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RS, GMM and PSI will cover all games in HD.

Would you mind expanding on this info?

Who are these companies?

Who would be the best option?

How do you subscribe?

How much is it?

How do you get set up?

Will it be on demand? ie you can watch the games the following morning as well as live?

Will it be English Commentators? Pundits?

All very vague to me. I was going to settle for UKTV and watch the games on ITV and BBC but open to other options.

Thanks.

RS Public Company Limited is the broadcaster for the 2014 World Cup in Thailand. I had my box installed a week ago. 2000 baht, one time, for the box. No charge for the World Cup channels, but 700 baht/month for the full channel package. The channels appear to be similar to the CTH package, but not as good, so I opted out of that option. They have all the usual Thai channels but few in English. Use a True Visions or Dream box dish. My local Thai installer did the setup. I would guess the commentary will be in Thai. I don't have many details but I will post any that I receive in the future. There are five channels dedicated for the football.

• Like 1

RS Public Company Limited is the broadcaster for the 2014 World Cup in Thailand. I had my box installed a week ago. 2000 baht, one time, for the box. No charge for the World Cup channels, but 700 baht/month for the full channel package. The channels appear to be similar to the CTH package, but not as good, so I opted out of that option. They have all the usual Thai channels but few in English. Use a True Visions or Dream box dish. My local Thai installer did the setup. I would guess the commentary will be in Thai. I don't have many details but I will post any that I receive in the future. There are five channels dedicated for the football.

Cheers Mack, but if it's Thai commentary them I'm OUT. Drives me nuts.

You are not alone in that view. I don't care about English commentary - usually irritates the carp out of me anyway; especially those Sky number 2 commentators who are supposed to add professional player input but usually stick to the banal and blindingly obvious (particularly that one who dribbles on in a terrible Black Country monotone and the one who refuses to change his opinion on an incident, even when the replay shows he was as wayward as you thought he was first go round).

isn't it rs.that are being monitored for selling set top boxes and telling people that without them they cannot access what is free to air.also I saw astro advertising the world cup all 64games but they are not free to air unless you buy the packages.

there is a story regarding rs.in the Thailand news forum you will have to go back a few months I think it was end feb/beginning march.

You are not alone in that view. I don't care about English commentary - usually irritates the carp out of me anyway; especially those Sky number 2 commentators who are supposed to add professional player input but usually stick to the banal and blindingly obvious (particularly that one who dribbles on in a terrible Black Country monotone and the one who refuses to change his opinion on an incident, even when the replay shows he was as wayward as you thought he was first go round).

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that the majority of commentators/no 2's (as you put it) and pundits are complete clowns. No doubt about that.

BUT, I cannot watch a game of football where for almost the whole 90 minutes I'm just hearing the word 'krup' and the occassional 'super save'

if that doesn't irritate you then you're a much better man than me, as I say it drives me nuts. Also, and let's be honest, if there is a major talking point in the game you DO want to know what the commentators are saying, it's human nature.

Btw, I talk from good experience as this will be my 4th world cup here and I want to watch it in my native tongue for maximum enjoyment.

• Like 1

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that the majority of commentators/no 2's (as you put it) and pundits are complete clowns. No doubt about that.

BUT, I cannot watch a game of football where for almost the whole 90 minutes I'm just hearing the word 'krup' and the occassional 'super save'

if that doesn't irritate you then you're a much better man than me, as I say it drives me nuts. Also, and let's be honest, if there is a major talking point in the game you DO want to know what the commentators are saying, it's human nature.

Btw, I talk from good experience as this will be my 4th world cup here and I want to watch it in my native tongue for maximum enjoyment.

What about all the "oh hoo's"........don't you like them? sad.png

Right on Uptheos. I fond the oohh hoaws very endearing and that stops me turning the sound down. My wife says it does have an actual defined meaning - "surprise".

I do want to pick up Thai football vocab too, but not much has sunk in, probably because footy comes with big bottles of Leo.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Yes tend to agree. I thought the last world cup was dreadful in every sense. Average football, thai commentary and those loathsome vuvuzelas.......worst world cup in living memory.

• Like 1

Yes tend to agree. I thought the last world cup was dreadful in every sense. Average football, thai commentary and those loathsome vuvuzelas.......worst world cup in living memory.

Agreed. It simply has to be better this time around.

It was so dreadful I can't recall what times they were kicking off?

• 2 weeks later...

Is that the bloke who refers to everyone by their nationality ie'the frenchman made a great save from the german there' can't remember his name.

CTH announced on their Facebook page that they would be " showing 44 matches from 64 via channel 7 (CTH 177) and 8 channels in the CTH." I am not sure what that means exactly.

Deleted....there goes my excuse for a few weeks holiday in Patts....if true!sad.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is that the bloke who refers to everyone by their nationality ie'the frenchman made a great save from the german there' can't remember his name.

Sounds like Stan Collymore. Absolutely hopeless. Trevor Francis isn't much better either. Scotsman Davie Provan by far the best ex-pro.

RS, GMM and PSI will cover all games in HD.

Hope so.thumbsup.gif

I've got a PSI box and a dish.

I get Champions League and La Liga on it.

One off set up cost of about 10K THB, no subscription.

( Also has about 200 Asian channels on it.)

Well it sounds like the beautiful fans aren't so beautiful after all.

Toilet bowl hurled from stadium's stands kills Brazilian football fan
BY STAN LEHMAN, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAO PAULO - Police say a football fan was killed when he was struck in the head by a toilet bowl hurled from stadium stands as supporters of rival clubs clashed in northeastern Brazil.
A police officer in the city of Recife said Saturday that the clash occurred Friday night at the Arruda stadium after a match between Santa Cruz and Parana. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.
The officer said fans ripped three toilet bowls out of stadium restrooms and threw them from the stands. He said one hit and instantly killed a fan he identified as Paulo Ricardo Gomes da Silva.
The incident comes six weeks before Brazil hosts the World Cup. Four tournament games are being played in Recife.

• 4 weeks later...