corruption 101 begins at grade 1

jaideeguy

It's no wonder that corruption is so rampant in this country and most graduates come out dummies. My nephew [wife's sister's son] has just applied to an Issan public high school and the mother was told that classes were full, but if she made an under the table 'donation' of 30K THB, they would make room for him. His grades were decently above 3.0.

Upon questioning my wife, this is common practice. I had heard of it before, but didn't quite believe that the Thai 'system' could stoop so low as to deprive a poor kid an education. Apparently, if you are 'connected' to the right people there is no charge.

And it doesn't end there, as I had a personal experience when they were promoting the English speaking program to prep Thais to speak English as the common language for ASEAN a few years ago. I was offered a position to teach conversational English at our local small grade school at 500THB a day for 2 days a week...............I declined then later heard that the small school was allocated 28,000THB per year for that program. What happened to the remaining 24,000THB???

The Thais just accept this as normal and it is one of the reasons that a teaching position is so sought after.

I asked the wife if there were any anti corruption laws or agencies to investigate this kind of corruption and she says 'Yes, but no one wants to rock the boat'

TIT!!!!!!

• Like 1

My friend taught at an exensive bkk school

he failed some fat kid who refused to even write his name on the test

the head mistress came and made him change the fail to a pass or that would be his last day and she would find another teacher to take over

he refused and quit but no doubt the fat kid passed with flying colours (or thats what his parents would have been told anyway )

What happened to the remaining 24,000THB???

How do you think so many school directors are able to drive a Mercedes Benz? These little corruptions add up. Thailand actually spends a LOT of money on education, it is unfortunate that the schools are corrupt to the core and the children suffer because of it.

• Like 2

What happened to the remaining 24,000THB???

How do you think so many school directors are able to drive a Mercedes Benz? These little corruptions add up. Thailand actually spends a LOT of money on education, it is unfortunate that the schools are corrupt to the core and the children suffer because of it.

With the amount of money that gets pumped into the school system thailand could have a pretty decent free schools if they chopped off all the fingers in the till.

• Like 2

English University entrance requirements are just the same.

The right family and you're in.

The wrong family, but with big money and you're in.

If you have contacts, and are prepared to use them, your kid is in.

And lots of dodgy deals to be done at all levels, not all involving money.

I know, I did a dodgy deal and got one of mine into a top notch UK university, using the old boys network.

Edited by BritManToo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

English University entrance requirements are just the same.
The right family and you're in.
The wrong family, but with big money and you're in.
If you have contacts, and are prepared to use them, your kid is in.

And lots of dodgy deals to be done at all levels, not all involving money.
I know, I did a dodgy deal and got one of mine into a top notch UK university, using the old boys network.

Then you should be ashamed!

I went to a "top notch" Russel Group university based nothing other than my own effort!

Guess it is the genetically inadequate that need a helping hand on their way to failure !

Not that I condone such action, but I have been told that it is quite common when the student misses the cut off date for enrollment. Then perhaps the school feels, they now have to do the extra work to re-organize the classes etc... for all those who were maybe too lazy to get there on time to enroll. Perhaps you could find this out. Similarly, if you were to apply late to anything in a foreign country, it is usually, just tough luck, you miss out.... so which is better? At least for a bit of palm oiling he gets back on track...

Oz

My friend taught at an exensive bkk school

he failed some fat kid who refused to even write his name on the test

the head mistress came and made him change the fail to a pass or that would be his last day and she would find another teacher to take over

he refused and quit but no doubt the fat kid passed with flying colours (or thats what his parents would have been told anyway )

Nice to know he was fat. smile.png

• Like 2

I was offered a position to teach conversational English at our local small grade school at 500THB a day for 2 days a week...............I declined then later heard that the small school was allocated 28,000THB per year for that program. What happened to the remaining 24,000THB???

500 per day, 2 days a week , 52 weeks a year = 52000 ? xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I was offered a position to teach conversational English at our local small grade school at 500THB a day for 2 days a week...............I declined then later heard that the small school was allocated 28,000THB per year for that program. What happened to the remaining 24,000THB???

500 per day, 2 days a week , 52 weeks a year = 52000 ? unsure.png

Bad math .

Schools are not open 52 weeks/year!

Plonkers who agree to such terms are not paid for no work !

Im a teacher.I recently recorded some grades for my students that saw them decreasing from the previous term.my head teacher, students and parents all complained! Head teacher made me change the grades even though they were correct. My school is not in bangkok.Its in kent!! The thai education system has its problems, just like the UK where progress, progress, progress and league tables dominant the system to the detriment of teaching and learning.the thai education system teaches thai kids how to survive in thai society.

Sent from my SM-T2105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Im a teacher.I recently recorded some grades for my students that saw them decreasing from the previous term.my head teacher, students and parents all complained! Head teacher made me change the grades even though they were correct. My school is not in bangkok.Its in kent!! The thai education system has its problems, just like the UK where progress, progress, progress and league tables dominant the system to the detriment of teaching and learning.the thai education system teaches thai kids how to survive in thai society.

I'M a teacher. I recently recorded some grades for my students that saw them decreasing from the previous term.[][]My [H]ead [T]eacher, students and parents all complained! THE Head [T]eacher made me change the grades even though they were correct. My school is not in angkok.[][][it's] in [K]ent!! The [T]hai education system has its problems, just like the UK where progress, progress, progress and league tables dominant [dominate?] the system to the detriment of teaching and learning.[][][T]he [T]hai education system teaches [T]hai kids how to survive in [T]hai society.

grades don't 'see' they 'show'

Seriously? You teach?

Oz

• 3 weeks later...

I'M a teacher. I recently recorded some grades for my students that saw them decreasing from the previous term.[][]My [H]ead [T]eacher, students and parents all complained! THE Head [T]eacher made me change the grades even though they were correct. My school is not in angkok.[][][it's] in [K]ent!! The [T]hai education system has its problems, just like the UK where progress, progress, progress and league tables dominant [dominate?] the system to the detriment of teaching and learning.[][][T]he [T]hai education system teaches [T]hai kids how to survive in [T]hai society.

grades don't 'see' they 'show'

Seriously? You teach?

Oz

Don't be so pedantic! If you have something that adds to the debate please share it with us... We all come from different backgrounds and have different colloquial quirks. I'm from Ireland where people, in general, have difficulty using the past participle and pronouncing 'th' sounds. This is due to L1 interference and the fact that our original native tongue( Gaelige) does not use past participles or the TH sound.. I am a teacher in the UK at the moment and my students lack of correct grammar is startling. Where I come from it is perfectly acceptable to use the verb' to see' in this context. Its called popular usage. Its arrogant and ignorant to be so pedantic. It happens a lot on this forum. Sometimes users just make a typo and they are insulted. Perhaps Admin could remove posts that insult members on linguistic grounds??????