vpn router

quidnunc

I have several devices that I would like to have vpn protection for in my home. Rather than pay for vpn protection for each of my devices, i've read that you can purchase a router that can be configured to work with a vpn service. Anyone know anything about this? If it's relevant, my current ISP is 3BB

Many routers have that capability, too many to list.

In fact, I believe all current middle to high end routers can do it.

Then, it depends on how much traffic we talk about, if it is significant, you should consider investing in a high end router, which has probably to be ordered from abroad.

I have several devices that I would like to have vpn protection for in my home. Rather than pay for vpn protection for each of my devices, i've read that you can purchase a router that can be configured to work with a vpn service.

Be specific about what you want to achieve. Many people would find DNS redirection services (of which unblock-us is just one example) sufficient for their VPN needs (for watching foreign TV etc) and these will work on any router. If you actually need to connect to a real private remote network then this would not suffice, but few people do actually need to do this especially on multiple devices.

Not sure what you think a VPN is going to give you in the way of "protection", or from whom.

I have several devices that I would like to have vpn protection for in my home. Rather than pay for vpn protection for each of my devices, i've read that you can purchase a router that can be configured to work with a vpn service.

Be specific about what you want to achieve. Many people would find DNS redirection services (of which unblock-us is just one example) sufficient for their VPN needs (for watching foreign TV etc) and these will work on any router. If you actually need to connect to a real private remote network then this would not suffice, but few people do actually need to do this especially on multiple devices.

Not sure what you think a VPN is going to give you in the way of "protection", or from whom.

I went to the Unblock Us website and it says it charges by the device.(It aso says it's VPN) I don't want to pay for each device which is why I want to use a router that has VPN capability.

The Asus RT-N16 is generally recognized as one of the better "consumer-grade" VPN routers; it has a decent amount of RAM, Flash and session support.

It can run VPN natively with the most current Asus firmware, or it can be flashed with any/most of the 3rd-party firmwares.

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN16/

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16

This unit is relatively inexpensive in the U.S., ~ $80 (recently on Newegg with another $10 rebate), but it can be a bit more pricey here; ~ 3,000 - 3,500 baht, as well as challenging to source.

As many devices do not support VPN, smart TVs for example, having a VPN router is the way to go. Note that some VPN service providers also limit end-points to two simultaneous devices, so a VPN router provides connectivity to many, many devices.

• Like 2

I went to the Unblock Us website and it says it charges by the device.(It aso says it's VPN) I don't want to pay for each device which is why I want to use a router that has VPN capability.

One router is one device. Unblock-us was only one example of hundreds of DNS redirection services, some of which are free and/or ad-supported and which may or may not be suitable for your needs, depending on what they are.

We still dont know exactly what you expect to gain from your VPN. Without this most basic of information it is impossible to give a suitable solution.

One router is one device. Unblock-us was only one example of hundreds of DNS redirection services, some of which are free and/or ad-supported and which may or may not be suitable for your needs, depending on what they are.

We still dont know exactly what you expect to gain from your VPN. Without this most basic of information it is impossible to give a suitable solution.

Fair enough. I want it to appear as though my devices are located in the USA