Motorbike rental passport leads to Phuket arrest of Spanish nunchuk mugger

webfact

Motorbike rental passport leads to Phuket arrest of Spanish nunchuk mugger
Phuket Gazette

1_20144812391762_tJsAraeGUrYvUHsGFBGQwTB
Russian tourist Sergey Agafonov fingers the man who mugged him, Spanish tourist Mario Arturo Tovar Ferras, 23. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A passport left as collateral for a motorbike rental has led to the arrest of a Spaniard for the nunchuk mugging of a Russian in Kata early yesterday morning.

Karon Police arrested Spanish tourist Mario Arturo Tovar Ferras, 23, at the Bonus Bungalow resort in Soi Ta-iad, Chalong, at about 7:30pm last night.

“Police seized a motorbike, a seven-inch knife, a set of nunchuks and an iPhone5, all found in his rental room,” said Karon Police Deputy Superintendent Sophon Borrirak.

Mr Ferras’ arrest followed Russian Sergey Agafonov, 29, being robbed under threat of nunchuks in Soi Plukjae, near Baan Kata School at 1:20am yesterday.

The robber, recorded on 7-Eleven CCTV, made off with Mr Agafonov’s iPhone 5, US$300 (about 9,300 baht) and 5,000 rubles (about 4,550 baht).

“Police learnt that the vehicle the suspect used to make his getaway belonged to Janpen Jara. We showed the CCTV footage to Mr Janpen and Mr Agafonov. Both of them identified the suspect as the same person,” said Lt Col Sopon.

Mr Janpen explained that Mr Ferras started renting a motorbike from him last month, and handed the Spaniard’s passport to police.

“We obtained an arrest warrant and tracked Mr Ferras to the resort in Chalong,” Col Sophon said.

“He was charged with armed theft at nighttime and evading arrest. He has accepted the charges.”

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Motorbike-rental-passport-leads-Phuket-arrest-Spanish/29084#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-08

Any guesses on how much time in the clink this moron will get, or just deportation? Big fine?

He's a pretty big guy and all that, but if that clown approached me at an ATM and told me to hand over money and my phone, etc......based on showing me a set of nunchuks, I'd probably laugh my arse off and say "what, are you freaking kidding me?"

• Like 1

I take it that Phuket is now an international place to such an extent that a considerable part of the criminality now happens between foreigners. Progress ! Also, the "fingering" which in Thailand is both a traditional and a legal element, will perhaps find its way into Western crime prevention... not so bad after all

What is with the finger pointing. I have to assume these tourists were coached by the newspaper photographer - too funny.

It's quite rare to see the "double finger point."

One at the accused, and one at the recovered property. Sergey has done it perfectly. biggrin.png

• Like 1

If I read this right, the rental shop should be nicked for holding passports, or has that stuff now been swept under the carpet.

Why, by which law is that not allowed?

International law, for one. It is written in the passport that it remains the property of the issuing government and must only be passed to an unauthorised person......plus the law of stupidity says never hand over your passport for a rental agreement. coffee1.gif on another note....what is Spanish for Som Nom Nar?giggle.gif

• Like 1

If I read this right, the rental shop should be nicked for holding passports, or has that stuff now been swept under the carpet.

International law, for one. It is written in the passport that it remains the property of the issuing government and must only be passed to an unauthorised person......plus the law of stupidity says never hand over your passport for a rental agreement. coffee1.gif on another note....what is Spanish for Som Nom Nar?giggle.gif

Yes, I agree, don't do it. But that is the renter to blame, he hands it out, not the rental guys.

Think you mean "and must NEVER be passed to an unauthorised person......"

• Like 1

a fine upstanding "Defense" for vehicle rental shops illegally holding a person's passport as collateral for rental.

A "Bad Attempt" to justify the "Passport as Collateral" issue in the Wake of the Malaysina Airlines dissapearance with 2 persons on-board with stolen passports from Phuket, Thailand.

Amazing Thailand cheesy.gif