Visa agent in CM for VOA conversion

mamborobert

Can anybody suggest a good agent/lawyer please.

I have a former work colleague arriving here on a VOA, He wants to convert his VOA to a Non Immigrant O and then to a Retirement extension and later multiple entry.

He is flying into CM at short notice from some offshore work (no near Thai consulate or embassy) direct rather than via home country and hence no time to organise Non Immigrant O before arriving.

I know this is a cumbersome way of doing it....but also know that it can be done.

He can technically do it himself but for reasons related to his work needs to be at arms length to the lodgement and processing.

Anybody have a name/contact/business that might be able to do this is Chiang Mai specifically?

Edited by mamborobert

It is true that it would not be that hard for him to do it himself but if he doesn't mind paying the service fees I would suggest Starvisa which is just down the side street from the U.S. Consulate. I have used them on several occasions for family members and some of my friends have used them as well. They always did a good job and do it the right way for us, no shortcuts all only the legal way. But like I said, you pay for that service.

• Like 1

It is true that it would not be that hard for him to do it himself but if he doesn't mind paying the service fees I would suggest Starvisa which is just down the side street from the U.S. Consulate. I have used them on several occasions for family members and some of my friends have used them as well. They always did a good job and do it the right way for us, no shortcuts all only the legal way. But like I said, you pay for that service.

Many thanks will forward that one...He certainly wants it done legal, no under the counter deals, and needs a reputable third party to do it to keep arms length from work so Starvisa sounds good.

My experiences and watching others says he would have to be physically present when the application is submitted, even if the agent does 90% of the talking. That says to me he would not be at arm's length. And I am confused about what you mean "a need to be at arm's length", unless he thinks having such a visa would prejudice his employer against him in some manner.

Plus, my experiences say he would have to go to immigration to change his tourist on entry to a 90 day visa before he can get that changed over to a retirement visa. So this is not a one time, quick in and out even with an agent. Every one I know has stayed here that 90 days, can he do that?

Barnical Bob may be able clarify all this if I am mistaken. And there may be more specific info in the pinned visa topics/forums.

Thanks to all.

Colleague will be arriving on a passport that gets him 30 days on arrival at Swampy (and 15 day border).

Issue is that he works sometimes in Thailand in an official/government role with an appropriate Official rather than Dipo passport.

This time he will be arriving in a private capacity on a stock standard passport.

For transperancy and self protection purposes (of the appearance thereof) he needs a third part to do this so there is no sugestion or appearance of undue influence in the decision to issue the visa through linkage to any existing "work related" records or databases.

Basically the exact opposite of the Thai way of doing things :)

Have accompanied him before (in a work capacity and him at work and me private) and basically after repeated visits and familiarity with some Thai government offices there would be a mad scramble to find the head Thai honcho an an ushering to the front and a private social meeting while a minion would be assigned to make things right during chat.

He needs it done right...and according to process, with limited exposure to any suggestion of influence.

Will pass on references provided so far.....thanks all

So he entrs Thailand on a visa exempt entry.

You mention working sometimes. Do note that based on retirement he cannot work, that is to say he will not be issued a work permit. But for some types of works, like working for the UN or an embassy, this is not required.

Problems might arise if he wants to stay in Thailand and also on a different passport.

Conversion based on retirement is really straight forward. He will need some proof of address, like a rental contract or utility bill, and either proof of income of 65,000 baht or proof of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account of a combination of yearly income and money in the bank in Thailand.

While for the conversion no seasoning of money is required, they will want proof of the money coming from abroad.

If he has that, and pays the 2,000 baht fee, permission if granted.

I was at the Thai consulate today asking about the non immi o visa and was advised since rules changes you can only have this visa if married to thai national or already retired.

Maybe that's the case with the person in question otherwise he will likely be disappointed

Edited by eyecatcher

Someone can be here on a retirement visa/extension and working offshore. Also someone can be so busy with their offshore life/work that they don't want to be bothered trying to figure out the minutiae of the Thai retirement visa regulations and local variations or spend their time wrestling with unwashed masses waiting at the door of the CM Immigration office. Some people just want to enjoy their time in Chiang Mai. Nothing illegal or immoral about employing a visa agent. When one is used, the entire process can take about ten minutes at Immigration.

I know people who have used two visa agents with excellent results:

OS Thai Visa, in the Nimmanheiman area: http://osthaivisa.com/ ask for Khun Pom

and

Assist Thai Visa, in the Chiang Mai Land area: http://www.assistthaivisa.com/ ask for Rhys

• Like 2

I was at the Thai consulate today asking about the non immigrant o visa and was advised since rules changes you can only have this visa if married to thai national or already retired.

Maybe that's the case with the person in question otherwise he will likely be disappointed

DC Embassy doesn't give 90 day "O" for conversion to retirement extension here, but they do give 1 year multiple entry O-A for purposes of retirement, with med cert./proof of funds/ and police check....200 usd. I think the Honorary Thai Consulates will still give yo a 90 to get started, but they assured me, that the one year was the easy way.

Someone can be here on a retirement visa/extension and working offshore. Also someone can be so busy with their offshore life/work that they don't want to be bothered trying to figure out the minutiae of the Thai retirement visa regulations and local variations or spend their time wrestling with unwashed masses waiting at the door of the CM Immigration office. Some people just want to enjoy their time in Chiang Mai. Nothing illegal or immoral about employing a visa agent. When one is used, the entire process can take about ten minutes at Immigration.

and

Assist Thai Visa, in the Chiang Mai Land area: http://www.assistthaivisa.com/ ask for Rhys

Interesting. How is it possible to spend only 10 minutes at immigration if using an agent?

Surely there is no preferential treatment for agents?

and

Interesting. How is it possible to spend only 10 minutes at immigration if using an agent?

Surely there is no preferential treatment for agents?

It can be even less than 10 minutes in my experience,

Yes, I would expect there is "preferential treatment" for the visa agents. I know there is for the staff members of the private hospitals, if by "preferential treatment" you would consider the fact that a private hospital has a weekly "standing" appointment at immigration. For example, every Monday at 10 am a staff member of that hospital can take care of 90 day reports and obtain medical visa extensions for any of their patients who have requested that service. I would imagine the visa agents have similar "pre-set" appointment times, too. After all these people are professionals, when they come, they have the paperwork in order and they use the immigration officer's time efficiently.

You don't think the visa agents are showing up at the front door at 6 am to join in the morning scrum to get a queue number, do you?

Edited by NancyL