bangkok for people who hate cities

bina

there is a horrible possibility that my (thai) husband will be in bangkok studying /working in cooking classes while he is on his home visit. he wil then be living in cheapy aprt housing for labourers or students... which means that i may be in bangkok instead of his village for a week, and not looking forward to it at all... we are both country banork types so

any suggestions of what to do or see in bangkok that isnt shopping/markets/wats?

intereseting parks, or some wierd museum, that anyone could suggest. yes yes there is lonely planet etc but prefer to hear of intereseting things from people also.

im not a city person, clueless is more the word, have minimal city savvy, and limited funds. he will most likely be living in some not central (tourist) area (been there in those areas before and usually its just cheap cheap apartments and at night not thrilling to walk around alone).

have been to wats and the usual tourist sites previous time and we couldnt wait to get back to his village.

bars etc are strictly not an option.

I'm with you on cities. Try out Bangkok's "Green Lung" an area that somehow escaped intense urban development just over the river from downtown Bangkok, or take a walk on Koh Kret in Nonthaburi, which has only a walking/motorcycle track and no real roads. There's also supposed to be some nice bicycle riding in Thonburi as well as a few quiet and rural guesthouses. If you feel like it, rent a longtailed boat and cruise down the narrow canals (khlongs). Some of these are still lined with orchards. There's supposed to be some good orchid farms around as well if you're into flowers. Have a nice time!

My advise you go and admire ERAWAN (south sukhumvit rd), if you like the Thai legendary visit Mae Nak shrine (Wat Mahabut, On Nut rd).

Shopping in JJ Mall, wich is close to Mo Chit BTS terminal station and at work days is not crowded at all, you can find there normal prices.

About fashion shopping, every-where, every thing is all the same, and the prices are also almost same if you look the different brands.

Have a nice trip.

Loles thnx but I detest shopping...durian sounds like good ideas...am waiting on hubby to make a plan but he is on thai time so will see...klongs boats sound fun as do orchids..what about butterfly museum? Anyone been?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are a few good 'floating markets' on the Samut Prakan and Chonburi side of Bangkok. Original old building on the side of a klong. Big attraction for Thais. Not close to central Bangkok. There is another closer to town but in the Mon district, which is also an attraction and closer to town.

Here is a link, sounds like it has gotten much busier, but the old fashioned food sold there was really arroy.

http://www.thai-blogs.com/2008/11/09/bang-nampheung-floating-market/

I also really love the Jim Thompson House.

My advise you go and admire ERAWAN (south sukhumvit rd), if you like the Thai legendary visit Mae Nak shrine (Wat Mahabut, On Nut rd).

Shopping in JJ Mall, wich is close to Mo Chit BTS terminal station and at work days is not crowded at all, you can find there normal prices.

About fashion shopping, every-where, every thing is all the same, and the prices are also almost same if you look the different brands.

Have a nice trip.

The O/P did make (an apparently too subtle) comment that she wasn't looking for shopping/markets or wats.

" any suggestions of what to do or see in bangkok that isnt shopping/markets/wats?"

"Wat Mahabu"

"shopping in JJ Mall,"

"About fashion shopping,"

• Like 1

Koh Kret is indeed a nice getaway, can take a boat along the river to get there (service ends a bit early, I think). There are actually a couple of backpacker guesthouses on the island, and it's possible to rent bicycles. Better to avoid Koh Kret on weekends, as it can get extremely crowded.

Every Wednesday and Thursday, Chatuchak Weekend Market hosts nursery (grown trees to orchids), while most of the shops are closed.

Taking a long boat on the river - head early to the pier, easier to bargain and not that hot later on. Got to be really clear on details (how long and route). Off rush hours the public boats are not too bad for passing the time.

The Forensic Museum near Siriraj Hospital is somewhat gruesome, not everyone's cup of tea. If you dig weirdness, by all means.

I went to an outdoor (with netting over the top) butterfly farm/museum in St. Maarten and it was a lot more interesting that I was expected. They had some amazing varieties of butterflys and they were in all stages of their life, from caterpillars to larvae to pupa to chrysalis to butterfly to ex-butterflies which you could buy mounted and framed. I haven't been to any in Thailand but they're probably the same. If you've never been to one, I'd recommend it.

Loles thnx but I detest shopping...durian sounds like good ideas...am waiting on hubby to make a plan but he is on thai time so will see...klongs boats sound fun as do orchids..what about butterfly museum? Anyone been?

Some great ideas and info! Thanx...I will deginstely research up some of the suggestions..afraid to ser zoos as I ran one and am very critical about displays conditions etc.

we did a Butterfly farm in israel but small and not a huge succes so am interested to see in a tropical setting..body parts r too wierd even for me...nursuries for plants are great! hadnt thought about that.

Again..great ideas...to all who took the time

One of my favourite places is the Pak Klong flower market. It is best to go at 9.00 or 10.00 PM. You said earlier that you don't like shopping and you do not have to buy flowers here. It is just beautiful to see.

Tnx trenthsm. Will do .

ggt u r an idiot. I live in israel I dont need to see bomb sites as ive been in them...

• Like 1

Tnx trenthsm. Will do .

ggt u r an idiot. I live in israel I dont need to see bomb sites as ive been in them...

Are you from Israel or Palestine?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Siriraj Hospital medical museum

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah, seeing the pickled body of the wicked murderer (See-Oui?) is a must-see for anyone visiting BKK. Macabre, but nice.....w00t.gif

hey plachon... havent seen u here for a while...

to beneko; im a kibbutznik with a thai husband. and i dont do politics.

so i will now start checking out ideas for things to do if and when we actually will be in bangkok. hubby doesnt have a plan. or rather, he has a thai plan which is to wait for friends to find out some info so that eventually we will know hwat we are doing...

but im really enjoying the planning aspect that i am doing for myself (probably more then the actual doing aspect).

a lot has to do with baht. he hsa stuff that has to be taken care of so only after can we do fun stuff with the money thats left.

however i think the list ive gotten from u all is rather a good one except for the facetious comments by some.

Tnx trenthsm. Will do .

You are entirely too kind...enjoy your stay in BKK...I understand there are no idiots there...be happy...