'Totally inappropriate': Tourist's shock at Buddhist temple in Thailand

Boater

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if i go to a Buddhist temple, i go for relax and peace of mind, for all the rest we have everyday life & the <deleted>' media.

As i said in a previous post, i hate loud music and drunkards in the temple too.

• Like 1

I guess only an American would call this inappropriate.

Since apparently the article was too long for you to read, I'll post the section relevant to your ignorant comment

The 31-year-old insurance broker from Nottingham, who did not want to be named, said: 'The whole place is very strange. There's a pit full of hands and skulls outside that looks like something from the Walking Dead.

'Inside I was shocked to see a painting of planes flying into the Twin Towers. I just think it's totally inappropriate.'

The person is from Nottingham, which makes him English, not American.

Although to be honest, as this is coming from the Daily Mail, most likely the entire quote is fabricated in order to create a controversy and allow the author to publish a story.

Edited by DP25
  • Like 1

Well, if i go to a Buddhist temple, i go for relax and peace of mind, for all the rest we have everyday life & the <deleted>' media.

As i said in a previous post, i hate loud music and drunkards in the temple too.

Temples are like community centres in my country.

Not all that go to temples are enlightened beings. Just like not all that go to Churches in my country are enlightened. I used to go to church discos where many were taking drugs, alcohol and sniffing glue. Lots of people would go to the church for midnight mass straight from the boozer.

I often hear things like "I saw monks in Panthip plaza buying computers or smoking, aren't they hypocrites" etc. If you are one of those, think what your motive in trying to put them down is. I've drank whisky with a monk before, so what - he was an alcoholic that as trying to get well. Many men ordain as they have little other choice. Some are ex-criminals, some sick but they are accepted as of course they should be.

Anyone saying the picture is inappropriate doesn't understand the place of the Thai temple, IMHO.

The picture may be teaching a valuable lesson to its people - the evils of capitalism or something. There's a lot more to those twin towers that most Americans I know don't even ant to investigate.

• Like 2

This image appears to me to be a legitimate work of art.

It seems the artist is extremely talented.

Whether such provocative art belongs in wats though, that I don't know, as I don't pretend to understand Thai Buddhist culture.

I think an art gallery would be better.

Yes, even in New York. Maybe better in New York.

Art is more than something that looks pretty over your sofa, my dears.

Piffle JT.

Why is it that you gays think that you have some sort of art radar that us other folk don't possess?

How would this work of art be received if it was hanging over the sofa of a wealthy muslim oil tycoon.

• Like 1

Temples are like community centres in my country.

Not all that go to temples are enlightened beings. Just like not all that go to Churches in my country are enlightened. I used to go to church discos where many were taking drugs, alcohol and sniffing glue. Lots of people would go to the church for midnight mass straight from the boozer.

I often hear things like "I saw monks in Panthip plaza buying computers or smoking, aren't they hypocrites" etc. If you are one of those, think what your motive in trying to put them down is. I've drank whisky with a monk before, so what - he was an alcoholic that as trying to get well. Many men ordain as they have little other choice. Some are ex-criminals, some sick but they are accepted as of course they should be.

Anyone saying the picture is inappropriate doesn't understand the place of the Thai temple, IMHO.

The picture may be teaching a valuable lesson to its people - the evils of capitalism or something. There's a lot more to those twin towers that most Americans I know don't even ant to investigate.

While appreciating you point of view, i disagree... I would never drink whisky with a monk, and i don't go to temple to see violent images or behaviours.. What's next. a slaughterhouse in the temple premises ?

• Like 1

Sorry mate, but I think your use of 'unholy' is totally inappropriate. Unless of course it's a subtle attempt on your part to turn this thread into a certain-religion bashing thread. And I don't mean the IRA version of Catholicism that you are obviously referring to when you relate to your experiences at Harrods.

What an extraordinary comment, an 'IRA version of Catholicism'. the rest of this post deleted as you wouldn't understand it.

Perhaps you may see the same misunderstanding in the painting by Picasso of Guernica, that represents the tragedy of the innocent, against war and suggests symbolism of an anti war belief. Where better to portray that image, but in a place of Homage.

I guess only an American would call this inappropriate.

Since apparently the article was too long for you to read, I'll post the section relevant to your ignorant comment

The 31-year-old insurance broker from Nottingham, who did not want to be named, said: 'The whole place is very strange. There's a pit full of hands and skulls outside that looks like something from the Walking Dead.

'Inside I was shocked to see a painting of planes flying into the Twin Towers. I just think it's totally inappropriate.'

The person is from Nottingham, which makes him English, not American.

Although to be honest, as this is coming from the Daily Mail, most likely the entire quote is fabricated in order to create a controversy and allow the author to publish a story.

A 31 year old insurance brokerw00t.gif who uses zombi movies to compare with real-life eventslaugh.png.

Thanks for digging that up for methumbsup.gif . Different from you, when I see the word daily mail I usually stop reading and make up my own mind about the issue. It mostly pays of.

It happened people. Whether you believe the official line or not it is now a part of history. The picture in no way glorifies the attack so just where is it wrong ? It seems that today outrage and offence are to be found in every little thing regardless of any intention to cause offence or outrage.

Would a painting of an unmanned drone have caused such outrage I wonder. Considering the "Collateral damage " they have wreaked since 9/11

I also never understood the outcry over the Hitler nonsense last year. It seems it is fine to print T shirts of bin Laden, Stalin and Lenin yet Hitler is a total no no.

Ignore it or grow some thicker skin.

sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png

I guess a painting of the Phuket tsunami with pokimon surfing the wave would not be a problem here then either.......

• Like 2

Nothing inappropriate here.

It's an accurate vision of Thai's perception of the world: Here Superman, Black Eyes Peas or Bin Laden are equal pickles, they are just names they hear about farang World but they have not got the faintest clue as too how real they are or what do they represent or who they are.

Can't disagree with this.

It happened people. Whether you believe the official line or not it is now a part of history. The picture in no way glorifies the attack so just where is it wrong ? It seems that today outrage and offence are to be found in every little thing regardless of any intention to cause offence or outrage.

Would a painting of an unmanned drone have caused such outrage I wonder. Considering the "Collateral damage " they have wreaked since 9/11

I also never understood the outcry over the Hitler nonsense last year. It seems it is fine to print T shirts of bin Laden, Stalin and Lenin yet Hitler is a total no no.

I guess a painting of the Phuket tsunami with pokimon surfing the wave would not be a problem here then either.......

Good point.

Whether such provocative art belongs in wats though, that I don't know, as I don't pretend to understand Thai Buddhist culture.

Neither do I but I bet it wouldn't have been painted had 911 seen the planes plow into the Grand Palace. It doesn't really matter because it didn't affect Thailand or Thais and that, my dears, is quite typical.

• Like 1

Perhaps you may see the same misunderstanding in the painting by Picasso of Guernica, that represents the tragedy of the innocent, against war and suggests symbolism of an anti war belief. Where better to portray that image, but in a place of Homage.

But I don't think this artist has created that picture as symbolism of an anti-terrorism or anti-Muslim belief. IMHO, he is ignorant of the sensitivity of this recent event and created the picture purely for 'enjoyment'. It sucks big time.

• Like 1

No disrespect but I believe that Thais will never stop being ignorant idiots. I am not sure how they would react if someone made a comedy of the Thamassat Uni massacre along a few other tragedies.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It may have been an american who complined but most likely an evangelical christian american who sees the twin towers as a sacred symbol of american freedom attacked by our enemies who are jealous of our freedom. Notice how the snake demons wrapped around the towers evolve into gas station pumps implying the connection of middle east oil. Its all about the oil!

• Like 2

No disrespect but I believe that Thais will never stop being ignorant idiots. I am not sure how they would react if someone made a comedy of the Thamassat Uni massacre along a few other tragedies.

Maybe you are the idiot.

This is their country if they are idiots why stay here?

Edited by devaram

misplaced outrage. I realize that some people would like to forget it ever happened, however it is best to remember the past and learn from it. It's also art, which is usually beyond my comprehension.

• Like 1

As much as some people will disagree, 9/11 is a part of history, it was a world changing event. For an artist to put his/her thoughts onto canvas, using historic events as a backdrop, IMHO there is nothing wrong with that.

If on the other hand they had put a figure holding an AK47/AK74 shouting or waving Jihad banners, that would be a completely different story.

It does surprise me that so many people get upset over history. It was a tragic event when it happened, but at the end of the day it is now history.

• Like 1

Never understood? As you have noticed, the Holocaust and 9/11 were the two biggest tragedies ever to hit mankind. Nobody can trivialise them. No matter that other tragedies on a bigger scale have happened, they did not involve the more valuable lives of Americans or Jews.

Of course the painting is not inappropriate. A good friend of mine's daughter died in a Chiang Mai hotel but he does not think it inappropriate for bed bug spray or the hotel to be advertised. The tragedy he experienced, he knows, is his problem and the rest of the world, Thailand in particular, does not have to walk on eggshells to make him feel better.

• Like 1

I think an art gallery would be better.

Yes, even in New York. Maybe better in New York.

Art is more than something that looks pretty over your sofa, my dears.

thumbsup.gif Well said Jt!

Saying "no disrespect" before calling an entire nation ignorant idiots does not at all make the statement disrespectful.

The painting is art, not a comedy. It does not mock or make fun of anything. Your comparison was the thing that was rather ignorant and idiotic.

• Like 1

The artist is embracing many messages in the piece, The oil strangling us and modern and ancient machinery, the ghost's over the tower. Must be some powerful stuff the artist took painting that session. Poor taste in overall production.