Grandchildren - are they Thai?

David48

Just a simple question about parentage rights.

I'm a westerner and have had children with a Thai National.

Our kids, get, as of right, Citizenship of both countries.

If my grandkids marry a Westerner (no Thai Heritage) ... are they entitled to Thai Citizenship also?

Sort of the same system as the UK have.

Thanks in Advance.

I think he means if his kids marry a Westerner and have his grandkids, will the grandkids be Thai. Of course they will as their father is Thai.

Or their mother..

As long as one parent is Thai the child will be Thai whether born in or outside of the kingdom.

I think he means if his kids marry a Westerner and have his grandkids, will the grandkids be Thai. Of course they will as their father is Thai.

Or their mother..

As long as one parent is Thai the child will be Thai whether born in or outside of the kingdom.

I know but he has two sons.

soooooooo ... what about the grandkids?

great-grandkids (I know I'm stretching it now and pushing up daisies by then!)

If your future grandchildren have a parent of both Thai and of another country citizenship, then these too can have duel country citizenships.

But the correct procedures need to be followed. For example the birth of the child must be registered and birth certificates obtained from both countries, one at the appropriate embassy of the other country and also with the ampar office at the district of birth in Thailand. If the child is born in the other country, then the birth can be registered at the birth registry office and a Thai birth certificate can be applied for at the Thai embassy.

Or their mother..

But surely the Thai gods would not let a 1/16 or whatever % it can get down to...to still be Thai and...AND...own land......by this stage they could be blonde haired and blue eyed and own swathes of Thailand.

Keeps going on and on.

That's correct under current Thai legislation. Unlike British nationality law (and Australian[?]), where the nationality can only directly be passed on by one generation if born outside the UK.

Edited by Morakot

Or their mother..

But surely the Thai gods would not let a 1/16 or whatever % it can get down to...to still be Thai and...AND...own land......by this stage they could be blonde haired and blue eyed and own swathes of Thailand.

Two things.

You are clearly a moron.

Secondly. All my three kids are basically at that stage already. So they have blond hair and blue eyes, are as fair as the Irish and have Thai passports. And so will their kids. And their children's children' under current legislation.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Keeps going on and on.

That's correct under current Thai legislation. Unlike British nationality law (and Australian[?]), where the nationality can only directly be passed on by one generation if born outside the UK.

If one is an Australia citizen by descent - that is born outside of Australia - one needs to live in Australia for a cumulative period of two years to be able to pass on Australian citizenship to ones child if they too are subsequently born outside of Australia. Citizenship is passed on automatically if your child is born in Australia, regardless of cumulative time spent there. All my kids except my youngest have notched up two years in OZ. So Australian citizenship will pass on to their kids regardless of where they have them. And so will Thai citizenship.

However they still need to notch up 5 years in NZ for them to pass on their kiwi citizenship to their kids born outside of NZ, as my kids are NZ citizens too.

Thanks Samran. That's what I thought, "citizen by descent" in Australia is almost like in the UK. The requirements for "registration" of a citizenship based on descent seems different though.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Keeps going on and on.

If one is an Australia citizen by descent - that is born outside of Australia - one needs to live in Australia for a cumulative period of two years to be able to pass on Australian citizenship to ones child if they too are subsequently born outside of Australia. Citizenship is passed on automatically if your child is born in Australia, regardless of cumulative time spent there. All my kids except my youngest have notched up two years in OZ. So Australian citizenship will pass on to their kids regardless of where they have them. And so will Thai citizenship.

However they still need to notch up 5 years in NZ for them to pass on their kiwi citizenship to their kids born outside of NZ, as my kids are NZ citizens too.

Thanks Samran. That's what I thought, "citizen by descent" in Australia is almost like in the UK. The requirements for "registration" of a citizenship based on descent seems different though.

Not terribly familiar with how the uk works but in the case of Australia I still had to head down to the embassy and fill in the form. Citizenship took affect from the date of registration and wasn't backdated to birth. So it is a registration and not automatic per se. Those older than 18 can also register if they have an Australian parent, but what are loosely called 'character requirements' are also taken into consideration at that point onwards. But for little ones, it is more or less automatic, so long as you shell out the dosh ;). Edited by samran

You might want to rethink your knowledge of "what is Thai". Just a quick example, because it's handy. The lady on the right is not only Thai, she is a Mom Ratchawong.

post-52815-0-51910000-1397112403_thumb.j

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Two things.

You are clearly a moron.

Secondly. All my three kids are basically at that stage already. So they have blond hair and blue eyes, are as fair as the Irish and have Thai passports. And so will their kids. And their children's children' under current legislation.

One thing.

You are clearly Thai.

You might want to rethink your knowledge of "what is Thai". Just a quick example, because it's handy. The lady on the right is not only Thai, she is a Mom Ratchawong.

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gnarisa.jpg

She is also aesthetically challenged somewhat.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Two things.

You are clearly a moron.

One thing.

You are clearly Thai.

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gnarisa.jpg

Better than being mentally challenged as you clearly and repeatedly demonstrate.

She is also a blonde Mom Ratchawong. She also is intelligent. She also is both pleasant and polite. What is that... five advantages over one of us? Not counting the "born Thai" part, that is?

So you count born thai as an advantage right ?

I'm sure she is polite, n nice and all that....good for her....does she own the copyright for that or something ?