Grandchildren - are they Thai?

David48

What's this thread about then?

Ultimately about the ins and outs of Thai nationality law ...

So, from what you say, that Thai bloodline, unless they change the Thai Law, remains intact ad infinitum ... w00t.gif

My great, great, great grandchildren will be classified as Thai and have access to a Thai Passport etc if they so desire?

What's this thread about then?

Ultimately about the ins and outs of Thai nationality law ...

So, from what you say, that Thai bloodline, unless they change the Thai Law, remains intact ad infinitum ... w00t.gif

My great, great, great grandchildren will be classified as Thai and have access to a Thai Passport etc if they so desire?

Yup. It will help though if each generation register themselves at the embassy if they end up being born overseas however.

• Like 2

If they have a Thai Parent (papers in hand) then they can be Thai citizens. If they are Thai citizens, then their kids can be Thai citizens.

I presume you haven't noticed the foreign foods (Kanone Kroak), names (Wanida) and blood types (A,& B.) that are rampant...??

Edited by dighambara

If they have a Thai Parent (papers in hand) then they can be Thai citizens. If they are Thai citizens, then their kids can be Thai citizens.

I presume you haven't noticed the foreign foods (Kanone Kroak), names (Wanida) and blood types (A,& B.) that are rampant...??

I pride myself in understand most things, most of peoples ideas.

But, I have to say ... you have me stumped?

"I presume you haven't noticed the foreign foods (Kanone Kroak), names (Wanida) and blood types (A,& B.) that are rampant...??"

Can anyone translate please?

Thai goes on forever.

But your grandkids won't be British unless your kids go and live there for at least 5 years.

Ain't Britain great!

My understanding is that if the grandkids happened to be born in the UK, they would also be British - regardless of how long the parent has spent in the UK.

For children born outside of the UK:

• Where the parent is a British citizen by descent additional requirements apply. In the most common scenario, the parent is normally expected to have lived in the UK for three consecutive years and apply to register the child as a British citizen while the child is a minor (clause 43, Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009, effective from 13 January 2010). Prior to this date, the age limit was 12 months.

For children born inside the UK:

• From 1 January 1983 a child born in the UK to a parent who is a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK is automatically a British citizen by birth.

So it sounds like the OPs children could literally fly to the UK to have the baby, get a birth certificate and fly out. The grandchildren would then be British by birth in the UK, great-grandchildren would be British by descent, great-great-grandchildren should be born in the UK, great-great-great granchildren would be British by descent and so on and so forth to perpetuate British citizenship forever. Probably quite complicated to organise biggrin.png

Edited by rwdrwdrwd