What do I do to make you want me

What do I got to do to be heard

What do I do say when it's all over

Sorry seems to be the hardest word

what do I do to make you love me

what do I got to do to be heard

What do I do when lightening strikes me

What have I got to do? (2x)

When sorry seems to be the hardest word...

As the songtext indicates the word...sorry.. is hard to say for many people all over the world. A truly meant ...sorry...can stop any conflict and be the start of building something new.

What is the reason that in thailand it is even harder to hear the word...sorry ?

Saying sorry is a strength and not a weakness IMO.

I've a few nice local friends, who'll say sorry if they've made a mistake towards others.

However, I know of a lot of people, including foreigners, who won't say sorry. I think it's got do with attitude and strength of character.

On the other hand I know of a coarse person who's always flying off the handle and abusing people. Then he thinks that he can compensate for these repeated infractions with, 'I'm sorry'.

Edited by somchaismith
  • Like 1

Face = misplaced pride. My ex girlfriend's eldest brother shot her youngest brother because the younger one hired some thugs to give him a beating. The older brother was on the run for several years until the cops caught up with him. The younger brother offered to drop the charges against if he got down on his knees and kowtowed in traditional Thai style and apologized. Older brother refused got 17 years and left his pregnant wife and 8 year old daughter to fend for themselves. Pretty <deleted> stupid on the older brother's part.

• Like 2

Because nobody is ever wrong in Thailand?

Exactly.

Saying sorry is an admission of some wrongdoing and as Thais are brought up to believe that they can only ever do, think and say good things, then it follows that they cannot say the S word which would result in a severe loss of face........................

Here is a start "sia_chi", try it out next time on some Thai person.

Sia Jai actually mean pity, not sorry, Kho-Thot is the right word to say I'm sorry or excuse me...

Your transliteration might make it hard for people to know how to say the phrase.

I'd write it as Kor Tord.

And I hear it being said by Thais a lot. Particularly during rush hour on the BTS, although in that case its being used as its other meaning which is "Excuse me".

Very useful phrase to know!

• Like 1