Abhisit challenges PM Yingluck to quit

webfact

Abhisit challenges PM Yingluck to quit

abhisit-3-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday (Wednesday) challenged caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to quit the office so that the Constitutional Court will not have to rule whether she should be disqualified for abuse of authority over the illegal removal of Mr Thawil Pliensri as secretary-general of the National Security Council two years ago.

In an interview with the Blue Sky Channel, Abhisit pointed out that although Ms Yingluck was no longer the prime minister since the dissolution of the House some time ago she has still been performing the duty of the caretaker prime minister.

The Democrat leader said that the prime minister claimed that her case was similar to the case of an MP who lost his/her parliamentary membership status and the court would not have to accept a chase challenging his/her status. But her case, he insisted, is completely different from that of an MP who lost his status.

Abhisit noted that the prime minister was trying to create a misunderstanding that she was being unfairly treated by the National Anti-Corruption Commission on the rice pledging scheme because she oversaw policy matters and was not concerned with policy implementation.

The prime minister, said Abhisit, should tell the truth to the public about her case and should not cause public misunderstanding that she was persecuted or unfairly treated.

Writing in her Facebook page today, Ms Yingluck insisted that the Constitutional Court had no right to revive Mr Thawil’s transfer case against her because the case was already over after the Supreme Administrative Court had decided to have him reinstated.

She made an observation that the Constitutional Court had set a new precedent because it was the first time that the court accepted for consideration a legal case regarding personnel management despite the fact that the case had been finalized by the Supreme Administrative Court.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/abhisit-challenges-pm-yingluck-quit/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-10

• Like 2

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure challenge is the right word here.

challenge
  1. a call to someone to participate in a competitive situation or fight to decide who is superior in terms of ability or strength.
    "he accepted the challenge"
  2. a call to prove or justify something.
    "a challenge to the legality of the banning order"

Lets try this:

I challenge Abhisit to give me B1,000,000

Edited by Torkmada
  • Like 1

"Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday (Wednesday) challenged caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to quit the office....."

Basically, what he is saying:

>Electoral majority, I ask that you rescind your votes?

>Please don't force the CC into exposing themselves

• Like 2

The case may have been finalized, but the punishment is yet to be served upon the offender.

That is what happens when you breech the constitution... You get punished.

Nothing to do with bias or victimization.

Just the democratic rule of law in process.

Goodbye Yingluck and PTP cabinet.

I agree with your premise, but Punishment? In Thailand? I've seen very little consequences/taking responsibility/or punishment in Lack of Sanctions (LOS).

• Like 2

The caretaker primeminister needs to learn that Thailand needs lots of legal precedents, if it's going to improve, and accept this one along with the rest that follow. (assuming she's still on the scene)

• Like 1

"Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday (Wednesday) challenged caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to quit the office....."

If she'd taken his advice along the way with regard to amnesty bill, 2.2T loan, the rice scheme etc. She would have saved herself a lot of trouble.

However she listened to her caddy and now look at the mess.

By resigning she can avoid legal issues.

I guess she will do what Thaksin says and be rewarded with a criminal record.

PS I doubt the word "dare" was used in Thai

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The comments here are so funny - like this is a case about the constitution or justice or wrongdoing. Hey people, this is all about power politics and Thai backroom games. The yellows - or BKK elite or PDRC or Suthep's Crew or whatever we want to call them under the current iteration - control the EC, courts, NACC and military. The reds - or Thaksin's Boys or upcountry folk or serfs - have the numbers. Both fight over the media and public space. The yellows - and let's stick to colors for simplicity - have to decide how much of their power they can use without really upsetting the masses. Can they throw her out? Of course, whether she broke the law or not - that is not the question. What will result? Well that is the question, as it appears the protests / Bangkok mob haven't worked, and the military is unwilling to make a move and take the blame. So a judicial coup or whatever you want to call this process is going to happen. But you all can go back to arguing about the law, like that matters, and demonstrate your naivete.

Some members in TV follow the blind emotional allegiances of their parties in their countries of origin as if there was an equivalency.

Thai politics are in a class that has nothing to do with any system in the Western World.

Patronage, hierarchy, lack of accountability and more.

Crime and punishment? Not in our lifetime.

Thainess.

Those in power move the wrongdoers to non-active posts because they expect like treatment when their time comes up.

Naivete the fuel of fools.

• Like 2

Abhisit ignored calls for him to step down when he was PM. Why should anyone listen to him now?

You can't compare the reasons for the calls to step down.

Abhisit had much less valid reasons to step down, so why should he have listen to these calls.

YS on the other hand will have no other choice then to step down - sooner or later (if she is clever enough - which I doubt). Otherwise she will be removed by other means - but it has to be done anyway.

I don't say the Suthep (I don't like him at all) and all the anti government groups are a 'good' solution, but they are by far better then what is in power now. If you have to choose between 'bad' and 'certainly the worst' (and there is no other choice in sight) it's better to take the 'smaller evil'.

• Like 2

The comments here are so funny - like this is a case about the constitution or justice or wrongdoing. Hey people, this is all about power politics and Thai backroom games. The yellows - or BKK elite or PDRC or Suthep's Crew or whatever we want to call them under the current iteration - control the EC, courts, NACC and military. The reds - or Thaksin's Boys or upcountry folk or serfs - have the numbers. Both fight over the media and public space. The yellows - and let's stick to colors for simplicity - have to decide how much of their power they can use without really upsetting the masses. Can they throw her out? Of course, whether she broke the law or not - that is not the question. What will result? Well that is the question, as it appears the protests / Bangkok mob haven't worked, and the military is unwilling to make a move and take the blame. So a judicial coup or whatever you want to call this process is going to happen. But you all can go back to arguing about the law, like that matters, and demonstrate your naivete.

Some members in TV follow the blind emotional allegiances of their parties in their countries of origin as if there was an equivalency.

Thai politics are in a class that has nothing to do with any system in the Western World.

Patronage, hierarchy, lack of accountability and more.

Crime and punishment? Not in our lifetime.

Thainess.

Those in power move the wrongdoers to non-active posts because they expect like treatment when their time comes up.

Naivete the fuel of fools.

Its really just entertainment. We go to the movies, we know that Batman will beat the Joker in the end, we know that it is not real, but we still get excited by the events on the screen. This is kind of the same thing.

• Like 1

Last time I checked the Yellows were a dead issue. they removed them selves from the political scene in their failed attempt to get Abhist to go to war with Cambodia. In fact their leader is in a Cambodian jail.

My big question is why do the red shirts continually try to blame it on a defunct section of the population when the truth is it is the grass roots people in the population who have brought the situation to the attention of the whole world and refuse to cover it up to make the PTP and their red shirts hired goons happy?wai.gif

I do have one answer but I can not verify it.burp.gif. Let the ear medicine flow.sorry.gif Not

• Like 1

Or he could be saying

Thailand needs time to get rid of the corruption in bred into our political system

Would it not be better to step down now, and not be part of Thai history what you have caused

I wrote my answer

who wrote yours PTP

The problem with this is that Abhisit and his party are the source of much of the corruption in Thailand.

You have a point there if they had managed to win the election Thailand would have a lot less corruption.

Last time I checked the Yellows were a dead issue. they removed them selves from the political scene in their failed attempt to get Abhist to go to war with Cambodia. In fact their leader is in a Cambodian jail.

My big question is why do the red shirts continually try to blame it on a defunct section of the population when the truth is it is the grass roots people in the population who have brought the situation to the attention of the whole world and refuse to cover it up to make the PTP and their red shirts hired goons happy?wai.gif

I do have one answer but I can not verify it.burp.gif. Let the ear medicine flow.sorry.gif Not

As I mentioned, the bottles change, the wine stays the same. Yellows, PDRC, PAD, whatever. They are the same, fronted by one face or another. Same on the other side, they are just more consistent in terms of sticking with their color. Hired goons? Both have those, just try walking through Lumpini in a red jumper and you can prove that.

Robert,

We can all paraphrase what is said to suit our purpose. Abhisit's call on YL to stand down was clearly explained, so your paraphrasing of what was said is, as usual, designed to put a completely different spin on it...!

well he says

I notice that he fails to mention the majority of the population did not want Yingluck. It was the majority of about 500 people that wanted her. 52% of the population did not want her. That is a conservative estimate with no proof that there was more.

Just common sense tells us that many of them did not want her they wanted Thaksin.

As I mentioned, the bottles change, the wine stays the same. Yellows, PDRC, PAD, whatever. They are the same, fronted by one face or another. Same on the other side, they are just more consistent in terms of sticking with their color. Hired goons? Both have those, just try walking through Lumpini in a red jumper and you can prove that.

Wrong again but you can be excused you are obviously a red shirt. They are a group of grass roots people made up of many different groups. Yes the remnants of the Yellow shirts have seen the light but they are just a small part of it. Their is more white faces than them. But you have to bring a negative value into your post. So you get in your time machine and go back into history to find a group that will do that for you. Wake up this is 2014 not 2010m or 2011.

I can understand you being a red shirt why it would go over your head that the people are tired of the corrupt nepotistic government and want a government that cares for the nation. Not one that cares only for one man.

• Like 1

If yingluck resigned that would squash any brutal terrorist uprising by the red shirts, Surapong would take over as leader of the PTP and he has the qualifications, thaksins cousin being the only qualification needed. Surapong can then ask the commerce minister, Nattawut to calm his red shirts and allow the DEM's to campaign freely in the north and north east without fear of violence or intimidation. DEM's stated they would run if elections where free and fair so elections would be held, winner announced and farmers and first car buyers paid.

But that may be wishful thinking. Every path the PTP takes is of most resistance. The "Peoples" bill that everyone agreed with except thaksin OR the evil cousin of the "Worachai" bill that no one agreed with, but thaksin did. They chose the evil cousin.

Get a loan to ensure farmers were paid before dissolving the house OR don't get a loan and then demonize the PDRC for non payment to farmers. They chose the later at the behest of the farmers. The majority.

Hold public water hearings to promote transparency and to allow democratic debate with the public addressing any issues they may have OR refuse to discuss this with the public and have to be taken to court to ensure what a normal democratic govt do. Be transparent. They chose the later.

Admit to the public that the 300 baht minimum wage had created an inflation rate that eroded the poor's purchasing power and implement a plan to counter that OR deny it all together and tell the public it is all in their imagination brought on by extreme heat. They chose the later.

So when the most logical path of least resistance is offered by Ahbisit they chose the opposite. If Ahbisit said yingluck should stay and fight the charges chances are she might resign just because thaksin always does the opposite of what Ahbisit says.

Of course doing the opposite of what a man says that has a strong grasp of democracy molded by his Eton and Oxford education is not the wisest move and had thaksin listened over the past 2 years his sister would not be facing the NACC and the CC now. Instead she will have a similar criminal record to her brother.

The apples did not fall far from the tree in that family.

Wise words Ahbisit. Words to encourage peace and potentially saving 100's of lives. Rest assured they fall on deaf ears.

• Like 1

Writing in her Facebook page today, Ms Yingluck insisted that the Constitutional Court had no right to revive Mr Thawil’s transfer case against her because the case was already over after the Supreme Administrative Court had decided to have him reinstated.

Does she nor realize that the case is about her reasons for doing it.

She made an observation that the Constitutional Court had set a new precedent because it was the first time that the court accepted for consideration a legal case regarding personnel management despite the fact that the case had been finalized by the Supreme Administrative Court.

She has forgot that she was the Prime Minister in name if not in fact and more was expected of her than her followers? She has not denied that the the court is wrong.passifier.gifviolin.gif