Making a border run to Cambodia. Do I need a visa?

and how long do I need to stay out of Thailand before I can return?

I am flying from BKK to PP. This is my first border run of any type.

Do I need a visa to get into Cambodia before I leave or do they do a tourist visa at the airport like Thailand?

Thanks for any info. :)

You can return to Thailand as soon as you have your Thai visa, if you are not red stamped.

Cambodia is visa on arrival, if you fly in. You must have some US Dollars on arrival. A 1 month single entry Cambodia visa is $20US, on arrival.

Once you pass immigration and customs, near the exit door of the airport, you will see a taxi booth. Get a taxi voucher from the booth. It's about $8US to Riverside.

Riverside is where you want to stay. Plenty of accommodation at varying standards and prices, travel agents and bars and restaurants overlooking the water.

You can then get a tuktuk or mototaxi to the Thai Embassy and apply yourself, or get a travel agent to apply for you and pick up your passport the next day.

Phnom Penh is small, but it has a few things to see. Mostly of is recent painful history, under the Khumer Rouge. If you decide to stay longer, Siem Reap has UNESCO World Heritage Angkor Wat and the beach area in Cambodia is Sihanoukville.

Phnom Penh is an easy visa run. You shouldn't have any trouble.

If you are going to live in Thailand on tourist visas, a word of advice is to pick a country that just gives you a stamp in your passport instead of a full page visa, like Cambodia, or you will be using a lot of pages in your passport.

Good luck.

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 1

You can get a visa on arrival ($20) in PP. The tourist visa issuing period is known to vary from next day to 3 days for a single / multiple entry 60 day tourist visa.

If it's only a border run as you mention, why not go over land, and back the same day (depending on what type of visa you are after)?

You can get a visa on arrival ($20) in PP. The tourist visa issuing period is known to vary from next day to 3 days for a single / multiple entry 60 day tourist visa.

If it's only a border run as you mention, why not go over land, and back the same day (depending on what type of visa you are after)?

My understanding is the OP would need a prearranged Cambodia visa from the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok, if traveling overland. That would mean going to two Embassies, instead of one.

Also, the roads are dangerous in Thailand, but far more dangerous in Cambodia.

Flights on AirAsia are cheap enough and you get there quickly.

I would recommend flying.

My understanding is the OP would need a prearranged Cambodia visa from the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok, if traveling overland. That would mean going to two Embassies, instead of one.

Also, the roads are dangerous in Thailand, but far more dangerous in Cambodia.

Flights on AirAsia are cheap enough and you get there quickly.

I would recommend flying.

Sorry, incorrect. A pre-arranged visa is not required for over land or flights to Cambodia. I have done both in the last 6 months (and many times over the years) and I'm in PP now (arrived yesterday) and returning on Saturday.

I mentioned overland because the OP said border run, this implies something different to staying a few days in Cambodia to obtain a certain type of visa.

Wait now I am confused... are you saying I need to go to the Thai embassy in Cambodia to get back into Thailand?

Can't I just fly back to BKK from PP and get a tourist visa on arrival at BKK?

I have a US passport.

Edited by NCC1701A

Wait now I am confused... are you saying in need to go to the Thai embassy in Cambodia to get back into Thailand?

I have a US passport.

It depends what type of visa you have currently, if you have an onward flight ticket out of Thailand (and the flight date), and the airline and their staff on the day you try to board the flight back to Thailand.

If you can give me this info, and how long you wish to stay in Thailand I'll try to assist.

PS, there are other ways to extend a visa (legally) in Thailand depending on how long you wish / NEED to stay.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wait now I am confused... are you saying in need to go to the Thai embassy in Cambodia to get back into Thailand?

I have a US passport.

Info is easily found on the web !

http://www.embassyofcambodia.org/faq.html

That link relates to the Cambodian Embassy in Washington and therefore is American specific ! smile.png

Look at the visa FAQ's

Edited by thepool

OK l arrived in Thailand on March 19. I am from the US. I can stay in the country until April 18. I am retiring in Thailand. I just need to wait until about April 25 to get my 800,000 baht transferred into a Thai bank so I can show it to immigration. So I just need to do one border run to exit the country and come right back in for 30 more days. I thought I would just fly to Cambodia and come right back. I am in Hua Hin at the moment.

I am going to read this link now thanks.

"Info is easily found on the web !

http://www.embassyof...ia.org/faq.html"

I have a US passport.

It depends what type of visa you have currently, if you have an onward flight ticket out of Thailand (and the flight date), and the airline and their staff on the day you try to board the flight back to Thailand.

If you can give me this info, and how long you wish to stay in Thailand I'll try to assist.

PS, there are other ways to extend a visa (legally) in Thailand depending on how long you wish / NEED to stay.

ok what other ways? i went to immigration in Hua Hin yesterday and the very nice woman there told me I had to leave the country by April 18. Any info on how I can extend without leaving the country would be helpful.

OK l arrived in Thailand on March 19. I am from the US. I can stay in the country until April 18. I am retiring in Thailand. I just need to wait until about April 25 to get my 800,000 baht transferred into a Thai bank so I can show it to immigration. So I just need to do one border run to exit the country and come right back in for 30 more days. I thought I would just fly to Cambodia and come right back. I am in Hua Hin at the moment.

Based on that, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to make your way to BKK, and join one of the numerous visa run companies / busses (if you're not comfortable / able to drive yourself to a border crossing).

You will be back in BKK the same day after spending approx 1hr (presuming nobody on your bus has a passport issue / problem that could delay the whole group) in Cambodia.

I have a US passport.

ok what other ways? i went to immigration in Hua Hin yesterday and the very nice woman there told me I had to leave the country by April 18. Any info on how I can extend without leaving the country would be helpful.

PM me please, there's nothing illegal involved, it's just some (quite common here) immigration offices have differing requirements, and I don't want every know all throwing their tuppence worth into a scenario that is very easily resolved.

Based on that, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to make your way to BKK, and join one of the numerous visa run companies / busses (if you're not comfortable / able to drive yourself to a border crossing).

You will be back in BKK the same day after spending approx 1hr (presuming nobody on your bus has a passport issue / problem that could delay the whole group) in Cambodia.

ok this is interesting. i can jump in a Taxi and be in BKK in 3 hours. Do I need to worry about showing a airline ticket out of Thailand when I come back over the border into Thailand?

As a US citizen you get a 30 day visa exempt entry by land at any land crossing.You say your in Hua Hin if so your closes full service land crossing is Sing Khon Myanmar only 114 km from Hua Hin. GPS 11.789643, 99.641587 Contact any Tourist Visa Run agent in Hua Hin and they can sort this out for you. No need to make a cross country trip..

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

ok this is interesting. i can jump in a Taxi and be in BKK in 3 hours. Do I need to worry about showing a airline ticket out of Thailand when I come back over the border into Thailand?

Not for a 30 day overland visa run (you'll get another 30 days on a US passport), based on the dates you have provided.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have a US passport.

PM me please, there's nothing illegal involved, it's just some (quite common here) immigration offices have differing requirements, and I don't want every know all throwing their tuppence worth into a scenario that is very easily resolved.

Would it not be more polite to share the claimed "special knowledge" with all members ?

No need to be shy !

I have a US passport.

Would it not be more polite to share the claimed "special knowledge" with all members ?

No need to be shy !

Not shy Mate, and not, "special knowledge" it's just that different immigration offices operate differently, and I know that after many years here. Everything is above board (where I go), and has been proved to me.

As a US citizen you get a 30 day visa exempt entry by land at any land crossing.You say your in Hua Hin if so your closes full service land crossing is Sing Khon Myanmar only 114 km from Hua Hin. GPS 11.789643, 99.641587 Contact any Tourist Visa Run agent in Hua Hin and they can sort this out for you. No need to make a cross country trip..

this sound good... only 60 miles from my house in Hau Hin...

this sound good... only 60 miles from my house in Hau Hin...

Good advice!

Just came from the visa border run company in hua hin (across from train station) I was told Sing Khon is not open yet. So 15 hour round trip down south to do visa run. I wish I could be sure this is correct that Sing Khon is not open

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by NCC1701A

Just came from the visa border run company in hua hin (across from train station) I was told Sing Khon is not open yet. So 15 hour round trip down south to do visa run. I wish I could be sure this is correct that Sing Khon is not open

Someone is having a laugh Mate!!

If you're in any doubt, search online for a BKK mini bus company / tour, and you'll be fine.

Wait now I am confused... are you saying I need to go to the Thai embassy in Cambodia to get back into Thailand?

I have a US passport.

You are not eligible for a visa on arrival. You would be getting a visa exempt entry, which you would get just by crossing out of and back into Thailand on an American passport.

Presumably if you are in the country on a visa exempt entry and just put the money in the bank, your next step is to apply for a conversion to a Non-Imm O entry stamp at Immigrations and then, after the money has properly aged in the bank for a couple of months (never dipping below Baht 800,000) you would apply for an extension of stay (not a visa) from Immigrations based on your wish to retire here.

Ok thank you everybody but so much conflicting info I ready am not sure how to proceed. So I will list my plan and if someone can tell me where I might be going wrong it would be helpful.'

I am going to fly from BKK to PP. US passport. Go through Cambodia immigration at the airport. Enter Cambodia. Turn around at airport and return to thailand as tourist. Any problem with that plan? Or am I missing something?

NCC1701A, on 10 Apr 2014 - 15:53, said:

Why not try the visa border run to Kanchanaburi from Hua Hin, much closer, (say 600-650 kms round trip) costs for the crossing 900 baht as of last Sunday when I took my mate there to do his 30 days stay, UK bloke, btw. Very easy really.

And then stay a night is Kan as well.

Win thumbsup.gif

if uri n Hua hin just rent a car and drive down to Prachup Khiri Khan and than go to the burmese border, pay $10 and go into Bruma, turn around and come back and get 30day visa exempt stamp, if that border is not ready yet

drive down to Ranong ( about 5 hours south of Hua Hin ) take the boat across and come back

no reason to travel to Bangkok to fly to Phnom Penh and fly back.

Or head north an up to Kanchana Buri and use the 3 pagodas pass for ur burmese entry.

all are closer than a drive to bangkok to Arnay an Poi Pet

Note

You can NOT get a double entry visa in Camboida an it takes 3 full days to get a single entry visa if you do it on your own or 1-3 days at a higher cost if you use a travel agent

If you do fly in, you will get a visa in arrival at PP airport for $20, ( make sure u have one pic)

there is a camboidin foum here onthai visa now, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/183-cambodia-forum/

Edited by phuketrichard

if uri n Hua hin just rent a car and drive down to Prachup Khiri Khan and than go to the burmese border, pay $10 and go into Bruma, turn around and come back and get 30day visa exempt stamp, if that border is not ready yet

drive down to Ranong ( about 5 hours south of Hua Hin ) take the boat across and come back

no reason to travel to Bangkok to fly to Phnom Penh and fly back.

Or head north an up to Kanchana Buri and use the 3 pagodas pass for ur burmese entry.

all are closer than a drive to bangkok to Arnay an Poi Pet

Note

You can NOT get a double entry visa in Camboida an it takes 3 full days to get a single entry visa if you do it on your own or 1-3 days at a higher cost if you use a travel agent

If you do fly in, you will get a visa in arrival at PP airport for $20, ( make sure u have one pic)

there is a camboidin foum here onthai visa now, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/183-cambodia-forum/

Wrong, just done it!!

One problem I see with your intended itinerary is that the airline will probably want to see a flight ticket out of Thailand before letting you board the aircraft back to Thailand. The flight out will have to be dated within the 30 day visa exempt period that you will receive at Bangkok. The reason being is that you will be entering Thailand without a visa and this necessitates an exit flight ticket by immigration law. Go overland is the best advise you will receive.