Songkran 2014 - confused tourist seeks clarification

My google searches (http://songkran2014.com/when-is-songkran-2014-thai-new-year-2014/) come up with Sunday the 14th as the first day which I believe is usually the biggest day to celebrate and continuing on Monday and Tuesday the 15 & 16th.

But I was informed by a resort that on this Saturday April 13th the Cheweng Beach Rd. will be closed to celebrate Songkran 2014.

Anybody know anything about this?

So where (and when) is a good place to take my kids to enjoy the festivities? Perhaps one that is not too crazy.

Thanks in advance,

JC

I'm a bit aware of what to expect and that's why I'm looking for something a bit more subdue (safer) but as I'm with 3 Thai boys ages 9 &10 what a prefect way to entertain ourselves on another hot day here. The last time celebrated Songkran on Samui was 10 yrs ago and it was quite pleasant but I know things have changed (ice cubes and worse). I went to a Wat the other day to celebrate my 2 yr olds birthday and couldn't even find a monk to make a offering to so I'll leave the cultural/religious stuff for back home in Northern country.

I think there is some confusion to what I'm confused about. Here's is the message from the resort.

""Please note that on April 13,2014 is Songkran day in Chaweng road will be close from morning 06.00 am to midnight 24.00 pm It will be the trouble for the transfer from Airport to Hotel if you can change arrival date we recommend.

This is a Saturday!!

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Well now I know what the confusion is .... ME!!! Sorry as I was sent this to investigate by friends coming who are arriving on Saturday, maybe it's the time change and in turn the day what confused them and I'm easily confused anyways. Appreciate the Samui TV community putting up with me wai.gif

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 2

Well now I know what the confusion is .... ME!!! Sorry as I was sent this to investigate by friends coming who are arriving on Saturday, maybe it's the time change and in turn the day what confused them and I'm easily confused anyways. Appreciate the Samui TV community putting up with me wai.gif

Don't worry about it, .....more than one or two of us living here get confused from time to time! biggrin.png....It's the hot weather! tongue.pngwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Public holidays for that period:

13 April (Sunday) Songkran

14 April (Monday) Songkran

15 April (Tuesday) Songkran

16 April (Wednesday) Songkran Substitution Day

Well, I was going to make a dramatic new thread, "Snowstorm hits Samui's Songkran.... along with light to heavy showers of rain to sunny dry periods! "

It depended on where you were... / are .... but the best fun was at the new Central Shopping Centre, I don't think anyone of any age could have not enjoyed that...wink.png

SAM_1945.JPG

SAM_1929.JPG

I was driven around on a magical mystery tour from Maenam, to Bohput, Chawang and Chong Mon... and back! We filled water tanks three times... thumbsup.gif

It really varied from being very busy with lots of water, to virtually none in some areas! Bars and some resorts seemed to have the biggest crowds and amount of water, pretty predictable really!

Saw no miss-haps amazingly, but never seen any in the years I have done this,... six now, I think! blink.png

I'll post a few more photos in the photo section! thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

As you know, i am a bit dippy sometimes. But last night at around 11pm Swiss time i looked at that. What a stupid person i am. All i saw was chairs on tables. I shall tune it later, or now maybe.

Chairs off tables. Get a group of you lot to go there and wave at me at a certain time.

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1