Palestinians from Syria ask for refugee status in Thailand

webfact

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't there quite an abundance of Islamic utopias closer to Syria such as Yemen, Eritrea, Iran that might make a more suitable residence? They do know that Thai women don't wear a burqua right?

Oh indeed, there are dozens of islamic utopias near to Syria.

But none will accept Palestinians.

Why?

But maybe, just maybe, those so-called fugutives are sent to Thailand to start what the so-called religion of peace, is doing everywhere else in the world?

Your comment is not supported by facts; e.g.

Syria hosted Palestinian 499,189 registered refugees, but most of the camps have been destroyed in the civil war so they would comprise some of the millions seeking refuge from the civil war elsewhere or IDPs.

Until a few years ago, Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon hosted 448,599 registered refugees. Palestinian refugee camps refugee camps in Jordan with 2,034,641 registered refugees.

It is fair to say the Palestinian refugees have been a political football between Israel & the Arab States for decades.

These refugees are Syrian, and not "Palestinian". In my mind, there are no Palestinian people. When Israel was founded, all the neighboring Arab states waged war on the new nation. Israel accepted and assimilated the local Arab population, mainly Jordanians, into their country and let them become citizens, and they prospered. But when Israel defeated the combined Arab armies in 1949, the local Arabs who did not accept Israel's offer, became what are known as "Palestinian Refugees".

The question any logical person would ask is why weren't these people accepted into existing Arab countries such as Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq? They were more valuable as a political tool to dupe low information types into believing the lie that Israel is heartless.

As a previous poster noted, these Arabs just continue to choose the wrong side.

Good to see that you claim to have a better understanding of Palestinian registered refugee status than UNHCR.

Regards the acceptance or ortherwise of resettlement of Palestinians after the first Arab / Isreali war in 1948 perhaps it would be a good idea to do a bit of reading on "The Right to Return".. However, do you really believe the general Palestinian refugee population have any say with the corrupt political leadership and the armed factions.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

1. Thailand is 5-10% Muslim. Throughout the country, not just the South. Thailand is very much a Muslim-friendly country.

2. They're not asking for permanant residency, but for UN recognized refugee status, which would presumably open up more options for them.

Thailand is to be commended for taking them in in the first place. It's the UN that's dropped the ball. Not that Thailand has it "right" yet, but it is trying to become a responsible member of the community of nations and floundering around trying to find its popular role.\--S

Thailand is not a "muslim friendly" country. It tolerates the muslims. Any Thai who serves in the south comes back with a dislike of muslims. Thais are fed a steady stream of bombings and violence from the south and attach such events to muslims. One can argue that it may be unjust or wrong, but that's what it is. Ask your Thai friends what they their feelings about muslims are. You are in for a shock. A wide scale brutal ethnic cleansing could one day occur in Thailand, much as what has happened in Burma.

You commend Thailand? Are you aware that it was never Thailand's intent to accept them in the first place? Thailand is a hub for human trafficking. There was probably an assumption that these refugees would move on. In the case of the Syrian refugees in Phuket, it was because the Chinese spotted the bogus travel documents and sent them back to Thailand. The Phuket stranded Syrians were on their way to the EU. Thailand is a waypoint for the refugees and the refugees have paid large amounts to transit Thailand.

There are Muslims throughout Thailand, even a few out here in rural Isan. They are respected, and some Buddhist Thais consider them having more integrety than Buddhists. (I happen to speak, read and write Thai fluently, plus some Lao). My son is a Buddhist monk in Nongchok (Minburi, Bangkok), almost all Muslim, no tensions or animosity either way. Many other predominantly Muslim communities in BKK, Ayuthaya, the North. Muslims are able to judicate civil cases under Sharia law. Muslims that I've talked to outside the South are totally opposed to the Southern insurgency, BTW. I recognize that there is some anti-muslim sentiment among Buddhist Thais which could remotely conceivably be whipped up. But generally, Thailand is Muslim friendly.

On your second paragraph: noted. No I didn't know the details, thanks. But Thailand is trying to inch in the right direction. E.g. Foreign aid to Haiti & New Orleans after Katrina. I too am horrified at the human trafficking/slavery but hopeful that recent actions are a sign of progress (no I'm not holding my breath)

--S

• Like 1

1. Thailand is 5-10% Muslim. Throughout the country, not just the South. Thailand is very much a Muslim-friendly country.

2. They're not asking for permanant residency, but for UN recognized refugee status, which would presumably open up more options for them.

Thailand is to be commended for taking them in in the first place. It's the UN that's dropped the ball. Not that Thailand has it "right" yet, but it is trying to become a responsible member of the community of nations and floundering around trying to find its popular role.\--S

Thailand is not a "muslim friendly" country. It tolerates the muslims. Any Thai who serves in the south comes back with a dislike of muslims. Thais are fed a steady stream of bombings and violence from the south and attach such events to muslims. One can argue that it may be unjust or wrong, but that's what it is. Ask your Thai friends what they their feelings about muslims are. You are in for a shock. A wide scale brutal ethnic cleansing could one day occur in Thailand, much as what has happened in Burma.

You commend Thailand? Are you aware that it was never Thailand's intent to accept them in the first place? Thailand is a hub for human trafficking. There was probably an assumption that these refugees would move on. In the case of the Syrian refugees in Phuket, it was because the Chinese spotted the bogus travel documents and sent them back to Thailand. The Phuket stranded Syrians were on their way to the EU. Thailand is a waypoint for the refugees and the refugees have paid large amounts to transit Thailand.

There are Muslims throughout Thailand, even a few out here in rural Isan. They are respected, and some Buddhist Thais consider them having more integrety than Buddhists. (I happen to speak, read and write Thai fluently, plus some Lao). My son is a Buddhist monk in Nongchok (Minburi, Bangkok), almost all Muslim, no tensions or animosity either way. Many other predominantly Muslim communities in BKK, Ayuthaya, the North. Muslims are able to judicate civil cases under Sharia law. Muslims that I've talked to outside the South are totally opposed to the Southern insurgency, BTW. I recognize that there is some anti-muslim sentiment among Buddhist Thais which could remotely conceivably be whipped up. But generally, Thailand is Muslim friendly.

On your second paragraph: noted. No I didn't know the details, thanks. But Thailand is trying to inch in the right direction. E.g. Foreign aid to Haiti & New Orleans after Katrina. I too am horrified at the human trafficking/slavery but hopeful that recent actions are a sign of progress (no I'm not holding my breath)

--S

Spot on commentry, I know a number of Thai Muslims in Pattaya who are married with Thai Buddhists who converted to Islam. Same obsersation "consider them having more integrety than Buddhists". Also no tension between the respective communities.

Edited by simple1

The chance of Thailand unconditionally accepting Refugees, is about as much chance as I have of getting a one-way ticket to the moon!

Oh I don't know, the Thai navy may donate a fishing boat to the refugees and even tow them out of thai waters

If Thailand gives these Palestinians refugee status and permits them to stay in the country, then this will be a signal for loads of others from poor or unstable countries to do the same.

The UK is a typical example of what happens when the hand of kindness is extended to these people. All they have to do is cry political asylum and then it may take years to review their cases and in the meantime they will tell their families and friends that they’re onto a good thing here and to come on in, the waters lovely.

I would not advise the Thai authorities to even consider giving refugee status and asylum to these people, otherwise they maybe opening a can of worms that will create no end of problems for Thailand in the foreseeable future.

--S

Spot on commentry, I know a number of Thai Muslims in Pattaya who are married with Thai Buddhists who converted to Islam. Same obsersation "consider them having more integrety than Buddhists". Also no tension between the respective communities.

I wonder just how much Muslim they really are.

Isnt it haram marrying outwith the people of the book?

What prevented these pious people from converting to Buddhism?

No White Christians living there telling them that they have to.

Agreed, it is already written for all unbelievers.

http://www.questionsonislam.com/question/can-muslim-man-get-married-buddhist-woman

"As Buddhists are not from the People of the Book (Ahl al-Kitāb), you are not allowed to marry with her. A Muslim can only get married with a Muslim or a person who is from People of the Book. Or you can get married with that woman after she converted to Islam."

Maybe Mr Convert could tell us how many inter faith marriages he knows of where the children are brought up as Buddhists (or any other religion) as opposed to the followers of the religion of peace.

Agreed, it is already written for all unbelievers.

http://www.questionsonislam.com/question/can-muslim-man-get-married-buddhist-woman

"As Buddhists are not from the People of the Book (Ahl al-Kitāb), you are not allowed to marry with her. A Muslim can only get married with a Muslim or a person who is from People of the Book. Or you can get married with that woman after she converted to Islam."

Maybe Mr Convert could tell us how many inter faith marriages he knows of where the children are brought up as Buddhists (or any other religion) as opposed to the followers of the religion of peace.

Maybe Mr Convert could tell us how many inter faith marriages he knows of where the children are brought up as Buddhists (or any other religion) as opposed to the followers of Judaism?

Maybe Mr Convert could tell us how many inter faith marriages he knows of where the children are brought up as Buddhists (or any other religion) as opposed to the followers of Judaism?

My father was Catholic and my mother Jewish. I was brought up in the Catholic faith and I know of many more Jews that have married into other faiths and converted or their children have been brought up in the faith of the non Jewish parent. This has been going on for centuries, since the time of ancient Rome. Many people, some without knowing it have Jewish ancestry. There is a saying that; go back far enough into your family history and there is a Jew in there somewhere.

Some Rabbi a while back said, that marrying out has done more decreasing of Jews worldwide than Hitler ever did, which means basically you are talking a load of crap.

• Like 1

Samuel Johnson once stated that to be born an Englishman was like winning the first prize in the lottery of life. smile.png

If he were around today I wonder what he'd make of being born a Palestinian in Syria and having to apply to stay in Thailand. sad.png

I thought it was Cecil Rhodes who made that statement. I stand to be corrected.