Miofiber

Benlucky

It's not a new fibre really. It's been around for years in one form or another. The name of the fabric is Nomex and is primarily used as a fire retarding cloth for motor racing, and hazardous fire related occupations.

I always wore a Nomex T shirt under my racing suit when I was racing Go Karts here. It also has a reverse effect of "wicking" sweat, and keeping you cool.

See THIS LINK

Sparco’s NOMEX® Soft Touch is the lightest and most comfortable found in the racing industry. When seconds count wearing NOMEX® underwear gives you added protection that can make that critical difference. Our NOMEX® underwear can also keep you feeling cooler on hot days by wicking perspiration from the body. This will also keep our suit clean and comfortable by preventing the suit from becoming perspiration soaked. Once you try our NOMEX® underwear you will never again put on your suit without it.

Carmyth Fabric: A ground-breaking new technical material developed by Sparco!

Newly developed in the Sparco laboratories the Carmyth fabric is a mix of meta-aramydic and para-aramydic fibers. Carmyth fabric has a higher flame resistance than any previous material used in the manufacturing of race wears. Test results have been extraordinary: Carmyth has surpassed FIA standards with a fabric weight lighter than all other previous materials. Carmyth is also extremely soft and has an excellent wicking property, which keeps you safe, cool, and comfortable under the most severe conditions.

Wow, I'm glad I came across this. I'm always haunting the "travel wear" sites looking for cool (er) clothing. Do you know: are either of these fabrics wrinkle-proof? I would die and go to heaven. I'm not so afraid of bursting into flames, i.e. needing Carmyth for its original purpose, but it sounds comfy. Ideas where to find clothing? Any irritation problems? Sorry, I know I'm acting like you created it :o

It's not a new fibre really. It's been around for years in one form or another. The name of the fabric is Nomex and is primarily used as a fire retarding cloth for motor racing, and hazardous fire related occupations.

I always wore a Nomex T shirt under my racing suit when I was racing Go Karts here. It also has a reverse effect of "wicking" sweat, and keeping you cool.

Nomex (aramid) is a fire resistant fabric that will not flame when placed next to an open flame. It has been used by the military, race car drivers, and other occupations for decades. It is a safety farbric and although it does allow some wicking away of moisture (hydrophobic fibre) it is used mostly as an outer garment fabric. It is not used under body armor.

The far newer polypropylene fabrics used to regulate ones body temperature come under many brand names. The best known brand in the US is Under Armour. Most well known outdoor clothing brands known for their layered product lines, such as Duofold, also have these wicking polypropylene materials under different brand names, usually less that Under Armour. In the US one might expect to pay about $12 for a non-brand name T-shirt compared to $24 for Under Armor.

Beware, some of these fabrics do an amazing job of wicking, but they also tend to reek after a few hours. I am not sure you would get much advantage in a high heat, high humidity tropical environment apart from wearing during a work-out for an hour or so.