Expensive mistake - what to do with woven bamboo mat?

simon43

I have about 20 woven bamboo mats (3m x 2m), made from fairly heavy bamboo:

post-174-0-35493300-1397176718_thumb.jpg

My plan was to use these mats to line under the wide eaves of my single-floor guesthouse building, (I had successfully used woven bamboo matting on a previous project, but those mats were a much finer weave and much lighter in weight).

These new mats are too heavy to secure undere the eaves. They sag and will no doubt drop onto customers as they relax on the terrace!

I will use 'penliup' insteads to line under the eaves.

So..... this rather expensive mistake (12,000 baht) means that I have 20 natural bamboo mats going spare.

Any suggestions what I could use these mats for?

My guesthoiuse is in a natural, wooded setting, with a garden and play area. I could maybe cut the mats in half and use them to make natural fencing? Perhaps even use them on the floor as mats?? Maybe cut them into small peices and use them as decoration on the building walls???

What would you do with 20 large bamboo mats???

Simonm

• Like 1

I have used it many times in my furniture designs. I can't see where I can attach photos here to show you examples. I have used this material mounted on masonite,plywood or any other available substrate to make dining table tops, coffee table tops, desk tops, drawer fronts, side panels for closets, door fronts. The table and desk tops were then covered with glass. If you would like photos , p.m. and I'll send them to you. You could do the same for your situation: mount the woven bamboo to masonite (150 baht 122cm x 244cm sheet) and then nail or screw the panels up to your eaves (overhang).

Buy a resin glue which is very strong and along with screws, it should hold up any bamboo sheets no problem.

Otherwise cut into place mats for the restaurant.

or on the floor etc....but not out in the weather as your 12k will be rotten and gone in a couple years.

20 mats 12 grand?? defo saw you coming...

My Thai ex, not me, bought them from the guy who weaves them. At 600 baht for a 3x2 metre mat that is hand-woven, the price seemed OK, (although it adds up when you buy many of them).

Arby, I like your artistic ideas. The workers are already fixing 'penliup' to the eaves (much easier).

Thais like privacy. I do not know how big your rooms are but perhaps you can put make a few bamboo pole frames and use the mats as movable privacy screens in the rooms. Should look lovely if done right.

On another note, you were debating here on TV about what business entity to use for your latest hotel. Can you please let me know what structure you finally settled upon...and why?

Cheers

FD&S

I think these are usually used for the walls of bamboo huts. Got yourself 5 3x3 bamboo huts right there, on the cheap. Might want to start drying some banana leaves for the roof.

smile.png

Edited by metaben

I could maybe cut the mats in half and use them to make natural fencing? Perhaps even use them on the floor as mats?? Maybe cut them into small pieces and use them as decoration on the building walls.

You have answered your own question. Otherwise donate the mats to a temple or to someone who would appreciate them.

Edited by Beetlejuice

20 mats 12 grand?? defo saw you coming...

My Thai ex, not me, bought them from the guy who weaves them. At 600 baht for a 3x2 metre mat that is hand-woven, the price seemed OK, (although it adds up when you buy many of them).

Arby, I like your artistic ideas. The workers are already fixing 'penliup' to the eaves (much easier).

Did you get a receipt from the EX..?

What exactly is "penliup " ? I might be able to use it in my projects too.......

I'd write it in Thai except my crummy computer has no Thai keyborad...

Penliup or Smartboard, standard board type of material, doesn't sag when wet,, can be painted etc.

I'll take some photos soon to show you what I ended up using the woven mats for...

Thanks. Yeah I know what smartboard is . I have used it in many of my projects here. I just never heard of it called penliup. Not light. You might want to try using masonite next time if you want something that is light, strong and with a super smooth paintable surface. Quick and easy to put up with a nail gun.