Your Top 3 Films

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just saw Match Point last night and it is a masterpiece

Ya, it was good. I liked it a lot. Saw it twice! Scarlett Johansson is a fantastic farang girl. :o

Just finished watching it. I wouldn't say is a masterpiece though...

just saw Match Point last night and it is a masterpiece

Ya, it was good. I liked it a lot. Saw it twice! Scarlett Johansson is a fantastic farang girl. :D

Just finished watching it. I wouldn't say is a masterpiece though...

It was surprisingly good for a Woody Allen movie - maybe because he wasnt in it??? :o

Bridge Over River Kwai

Full Metal Jacket

Hamburger Hill

Bridge Too Far

Big Red One

Patton

Patriot

Braveheart

Gladiator

Gallipoli

Band Of Brothers

More than 3, but good ones.

Nice one Brit theres a few more to add to my shopping list!

What are the most recent war films with great effects etc?

Must say I have got BoB and that is one of the most best mini series I have ever seen.

Kan Win

If you took that pic fair play its a great shot.

I did a trip to the bridge and cem a few years ago and alll I can say on it is I was speechless.

Great Raid

To End All Wars

Uncommon Valour

Hey Brit,

I just looked at Great Raid and To End All Wars and they are now on my list but when I search for Uncommon Valour all I can find is a film done in 83 with Gene Hackman in it.

Is that the one your on about? If so I was probally a month old lol :o

Did anyone mention Patton (best pic 1970)? The new movie Jar Head is OK. Of course never forget Apocalypse and Full Metal Jacket. Someone mentioned 2 Best Picture winner classics, Lawrence of Arabia (64?) and River Kwai(57), both greatness. My memory is slipping, what was the 70s classic with Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen? Platoon was a solid best pic winner 1986. I dont remember seeing Mash the movie but is supposed to be solid

My memory is slipping, what was the 70s classic with Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen?

Papillion?

I liked Jarhead, thought it was a quality film. Not the usual war film anyway, a full metal jacket for the 21st Century.

Edited by bkkmadness

yes,papillon,great movie,fantastic book.

bullit,another good steve mcqueen movie.best movie car chase ever?

road to pedition was a good movie,another sam mendes film.jude law played a great psycho.

i thought das boot is a great war movie,if you can call it that.

what was the stalingrad sniper movie with jude law,joseph feines, & rachel weiss?

great film(so great ive forgotten the f@@@@@g name of it).

Edited by thankuverybig

yes,papillon,great movie,fantastic book.

bullit,another good steve mcqueen movie.best movie car chase ever?

road to pedition was a good movie,another sam mendes film.jude law played a great psycho.

i thought das boot is a great war movie,if you can call it that.

what was the stalingrad sniper movie with jude law,joseph feines, & rachel weiss?

great film(so great ive forgotten the f@@@@@g name of it).

Enemy of the gates

I don't unnerstand you guys...what about Kagemusha, Chushingura and the other japanese classics? choreogrhaphed casts of thousands running over wildly panoramic fields of battle with swords and bows and arrows...it's the real stuff...

I also liked Peckinpah's(?) Cross of Iron which was panned by critics but just right...nice to see WW2 germans in sympathetic light, they weren't all nazis...

Kubrick's movie with Kirk Douglas also comes to mind 'Paths of Glory'...

I sure do like Apocalypse Now but more for the spectacle than anything else...yeah, sure...Kurtz was nuts...a holy idiot that took things to conclusion but there was an imbalance between script and spectacle...visually wonderful but flawed...

back in the days of the VN war I knew that I would never take up arms with what I considered to be a colonialist war...nothin' to do with the US but with some jerk off in the White house that decided to finish what the French failed to complete. But I always had a peverse fascination with war...not facing off with the enemy but with the collatoral damage...the 'horror'. I said to friends, it's not about gunfire and heroism...it's about death, destruction and displacement of non-combatants...all generations before us have seen it, are we missing something, is our perspective incomplete by not having seen it ourselves?

dunno...like someone said...'you don't have to play the game to know what the rules are...'

It's a wonderful life...................;best feel good movie ever

Saturday night sunday morning........................Ist working class british film showing real people

Once upon a time in the West................;Best beginning of any film fantastic music score

A Boy and His dog..................;Great offbeat Sci fi

Eraserhead...................startling

Blue velvet..............shocking small town america

Best genre(s) Has to be film noir from classic hollywood period all those 'frails' doing their men wrong. Too many good films to name but here's a few

Double indemnity

the third man

The blue dahlia

Kiss me deadly

The Maltese falcon

Rogue Cop

DOA

The Big sleeep

Favourite gangster films early.......... Roaring Twenties, later Goodfellas and the Godfather films and lock stock and two smoking barrels nice to see The Guvnor acting

More modern film Last of the Mohicans for the score and photography, Taxidriver for great acting

Carlitos way for Al Pacino

Comedies.;;Trains planes and automobiles, There's something about Mary, Naked gun 1 2 3, Rock School, waterboy, airplane

I enjoyed watching . Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast, Al Pacino in Carlitos Way, Sean Penn in everything he does

Favourite actress Ida Lupino in everything especially They Drive by Night and Geena Davis in The Long Kiss Goodnight..............Well she frightened me.

Favourite Director living Michael Mann..worst Schpielberg saccahrin coated goo most of the time

There are thousands of films I've loved....better than sex and at an average of two hours 60 times longer lasting.....oh What a sad man I am

Flash back to the 'fifties; any Alfred Hitchkock thriller with his tall, cool blondes: "NORTH BY NORTHWEST", "VERTIGO", (Kim Novak, James Stewart) and just released on video after twenty years of legal crapola, the truly great "REAR WINDOW" (Grace Kelly just before she became royalty, Jimmy Stewart and Raymond Burr in his greatest performance)

Lady's continue to avoid motel showers because of "PSYCHO", it still defines the genre; add "STRANGERS ON A TRAIN", "THE MAN WHO KNEW TO MUCH" and "TO CATCH A THIEF" and you have a lot of rainy days covered.

If you become addicted, there are many more.

A couple of un-sung war movies that captured me; "THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS" (Clifton Webb in a true story of well crafted deception) and way way back, "DAWN PATROL" one of the first great air combat films. "THE GREAT EXCAPE" wasn't bad either, sold a lot of motorcycles

And; just in case you need to be reminded that war is really not all that much fun; the war film to end all war films:

"ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT"

OK, sorry; probably a bit tough to find on Sukhumvit. I'll stop.

midnight run

the only time in a cinema where i've seen a standing ovation when he killed the prison guard.

blues brothers

saving grace

love story

lock stock and two smoking barrels

and the timeless

gone with the wind

It's a wonderful life. (agree with Ratcha)

School of Rock (Funny, great for kids)

Pirates of the Carribean (Just a nice movie for the whole family)

Jarhead (Have you been in the Marines? Eyeballs!)

Apocalpse Now ( Charlie don't surf )

Full Metal Jacket

Good Will Hunting Robbin Williams, Afleck, Damon

Cider House Rules

He Got Game Denzel Washington

Man on the Moon Jim Carrey

Crash

If you've got kids get the classics

Winnie the Pooh

Wizard of Oz

etc

Sorry no just three. Go ahead and open a video rental shop.