Retirement Visa extension Cost? increase?

sunoco27

JesseFrank, I stand by my statement that no one can obtain a O-A visa while resident in Thailand.

The fact that you found something to the contrary on a Thai gov't website is irrelevant. The English-language websites of the various Thai embassies and consulates are full of laughable misinformation about their own visas. In fact, that would be a good thread to start in the Visa forum; perhaps some of the visa geeks who hang out there would like to find and post examples like the one you discovered.

Nancy, I don't think you are correct. OA visas did not used to be available here. I know 4 people that have had an O visa converted to an OA without leaving Thailand. I don't know when it was changed but it seems that it has.

ramrod, they had their 90-day O visas extended 12 months due to retirement. It's not the same as getting an O-A visa. No need for a medical check or police report.

Again, you can't get an O-A visa in Thailand. This has been resolved by the experts over on the Visa forum.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718823-misinformation-about-visas-on-thai-govt-websites/

I still stand by my statement that you can't get an O-A visa in Thailand. You have to apply outside the country.

Normally, I don't get so pedantic about these matters and try to be kind to people, but JesseFrank just pushed me over the edge with his perfect confidence born out of complete ignorance. He really should learn how to read Thai government websites in the original language if he's going to try to draw conclusions based on them as a sole source, and even then that's not an entirely reliable way gain information.

With the number of posts from yourself in the referenced forum, I guess you are one of the "experts", Nancy?

Whether this difference of O and O-A has been resolved or not, ThaiVisa still indicates on their Visa explanation page that an "O-A" visa for retirement can be applied for in Bangkok, just as has been indicated on the MFA web site. Maybe you can talk to ThaiVisa about correcting (or not) this?

http://www.thaivisa.com/retirement-non-imm-oa-visa.html Section 3

• Like 1

So, while you are free to believe what you wish, other members reading this thread should know that Nancy is quite correct. A Non-Immigrant O visa is not the same as a Non-Immigrant OA visa, nor is an extension of stay based on retirement the same as a Non-Immigrant OA visa. And a Non-Immigrant OA visa is NEVER issued inside Thailand.

Sophon

This is what the OP asked.

what is the cost for a 1 year retirement visa extension renewal?

It is clear that a 1 year retirement visa doesn't exist, neither abroad or in Thailand, but a 90 day retirement visa exists. There are Non O visas based on marriage and Non O based on retirement, and that is what I got on 12 December 2008.

Then someone started to mention Non O-A visa, which is a long stay visa, and is wrongfully mentioned on the English version of the Thai immigration site that it is available in Thailand.

My point is that on 12 December I got a Visa that clearly said Non O - retirement.

No, a Non-Immigrant O retirement visa does not exist.

What exists is a Non-Immigrant O, where the "O" stands for "other" meaning that visa can be issued for other reasons than the dedicated Non-Immigrant visa types (e.g. Non-Immigrant B issued for business). These other reasons can be wanting to visiting Thai relatives, volunteering, being the spouse of a person having been granted permission to stay in Thailand etc. And, yes, wanting to retire in Thailand is one of the reasons for issuing a Non-Immigrant O visa. Because there are several reasons for issuing this type of visa it's normal for the reason to be written on the visa, in your case "retirement", but that doesn't make it a retirement visa.

From time to time someone asks a Thai visa related question like this one in one of the local forums of this site, and it always ends up in total confusion. While the OP will often get the correct answers, they almost invariable drowns in a sea of incorrect information posted by members with at best a tenuous understanding of Thai visa matters. Often the posters don't even know what they have themselves, yet they insist on other people being wrong when they give the correct information. I can only urge members to post any visa related questions in the dedicated visa forums, unless it's a question that specifically deals with local variations such for instance which documents are required at a local immigration office for a specific type of extension.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 1

JesseFrank, I stand by my statement that no one can obtain a O-A visa while resident in Thailand.

The fact that you found something to the contrary on a Thai gov't website is irrelevant. The English-language websites of the various Thai embassies and consulates are full of laughable misinformation about their own visas. In fact, that would be a good thread to start in the Visa forum; perhaps some of the visa geeks who hang out there would like to find and post examples like the one you discovered.

Nancy, I don't think you are correct. OA visas did not used to be available here. I know 4 people that have had an O visa converted to an OA without leaving Thailand. I don't know when it was changed but it seems that it has.

ramrod, they had their 90-day O visas extended 12 months due to retirement. It's not the same as getting an O-A visa. No need for a medical check or police report.

Again, you can't get an O-A visa in Thailand. This has been resolved by the experts over on the Visa forum.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718823-misinformation-about-visas-on-thai-govt-websites/

I still stand by my statement that you can't get an O-A visa in Thailand. You have to apply outside the country.

Normally, I don't get so pedantic about these matters and try to be kind to people, but JesseFrank just pushed me over the edge with his perfect confidence born out of complete ignorance. He really should learn how to read Thai government websites in the original language if he's going to try to draw conclusions based on them as a sole source, and even then that's not an entirely reliable way gain information.

With the number of posts from yourself in the referenced forum, I guess you are one of the "experts", Nancy?

Whether this difference of O and O-A has been resolved or not, ThaiVisa still indicates on their Visa explanation page that an "O-A" visa for retirement can be applied for in Bangkok, just as has been indicated on the MFA web site. Maybe you can talk to ThaiVisa about correcting (or not) this?

http://www.thaivisa.com/retirement-non-imm-oa-visa.html Section 3

This is clearly just a copy/paste of the same information from the MFA discussed earlier (it even says so at the bottom of the page you link to). If you go to the thread Nancy refers to in post 25, you will see that the original Thai version of that information doesn't mention anything about being able to apply for a OA visa inside Thailand.

Yes, ThaiVisa has a lot of outdated or just incorrect information dating back to the early days of this forum, which in a perfect world should be removed or updated.

Sophon

So if an "expert" (not denoting anything negative, rather knowledge) were to work with ThaiVisa maybe it would get changed. Then someone trying to convert a visa, which in most cases would be someone not familiar with the process, would get more correct information, according the experts.

I would think quite a few people get a hit on ThaiVisa's visa explanation pages, rather than wading through the threads with people trying to outdo each other.

So if an "expert" (not denoting anything negative, rather knowledge) were to work with ThaiVisa maybe it would get changed. Then someone trying to convert a visa, which in most cases would be someone not familiar with the process, would get more correct information, according the experts.

I would think quite a few people get a hit on ThaiVisa's visa explanation pages, rather than wading through the threads with people trying to outdo each other.

True, but the experts on this forum are unpaid volunteers who might not want to spend their time doing the tedious task of updating the information pages of the forum (and keeping them updated every time something changes). Answering questions from members has it's own rewards (for some people), because of the personal interaction with members and the feeling of having helped. Something that I imagine few people would get from updating information pages.

Sophon

I've tried getting information on here about the yellow-books, done searches etc.., and I don't think I've ever seen more contradicting information. Where is the office to go to for Mueang, Chiang Mai to try and get the ball rolling on this?

I've tried getting information on here about the yellow-books, done searches etc.., and I don't think I've ever seen more contradicting information. Where is the office to go to for Mueang, Chiang Mai to try and get the ball rolling on this?

Probably better to open a separate topic with your question, yellow books are totally off-topic for this topic (which is confusing enough already as it is).

Sophon

I tried getting one from the office in Nong Hoi and got the worst case of being given the runaround that I've had in a long time. It was clear later that they were after some tea money, but fortunately I ended up not really needing it anyway. On the last time I was given the runaround I told them I don't need it anymore and left. When I got outside I decided she wasn't going to get off so lightly, so I turned around and went back in and gave her a piece of mind in the best Thai I could muster.

If I recall correctly, I let her know who I was ie someone that's lived here a long time, married to a Thai, with kids and grandkids , paid tax like everyone else and as such been paying her wages for a long time and reminded her that she works for me, not the other way round. The waiting Thais liked it and some of them for the right reason, hopefully.... She looked really pissed off. Mission accomplished.

To answer your question, this place was in Nong Hoi near the drive in car tax place. Coming from Nawarat bridge it is on the left, after the PEA office , and not far before the Rimping bridge, near Holiday Inn. I'd been sent to the main tessabahn offices in Mae Rim, government offices near the US Consul, the old tax office behind Three Kings monument and god knows where else . I think this would come under 'depends on the mood of the staff at the time of your visit' type of experience, as regards to what you need.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I tried getting one from the office in Nong Hoi and got the worst case of being given the runaround that I've had in a long time. It was clear later that they were after some tea money, but fortunately I ended up not really needing it anyway. On the last time I was given the runaround I told them I don't need it anymore and left. When I got outside I decided she wasn't going to get off so lightly, so I turned around and went back in and gave her a piece of mind in the best Thai I could muster.

If I recall correctly, I let her know who I was ie someone that's lived here a long time, married to a Thai, with kids and grandkids , paid tax like everyone else and as such been paying her wages for a long time and reminded her that she works for me, not the other way round. The waiting Thais liked it and some of them for the right reason, hopefully.... She looked really pissed off. Mission accomplished.

To answer your question, this place was in Nong Hoi near the drive in car tax place. Coming from Nawarat bridge it is on the left, after the PEA office , and not far before the Rimping bridge, near Holiday Inn. I'd been sent to the main tessabahn offices in Mae Rim, government offices near the US Consul, the old tax office behind Three Kings monument and god knows where else . I think this would come under 'depends on the mood of the staff at the time of your visit' type of experience, as regards to what you need.

The Kweng at Nong Hoi...I know it well'

Three times I have attempted to get a yellow book there. Every time they have wanted more documentation, more witnesses and the last time, having every thing they had previously wanted, they asked for a government employee witness to vouch for me as well.

...I gave it up as impossible.

My wife says that they are government employees and as such we shouldn't offer them tea-money, when I suggested it.

• Like 1

Even the benefits of having one seem contradictory. I'm not buying a motorbike, ever. But, I'm just looking ahead to when my one year O-A is up and I need to apply for an extension based on retirement with 800K in the bank. Others have stated to use immigration to get an actual certificate of residency....and of course I don't want to go to the US Consulate for any reason including their crappy Fourth of July parties, where you can't smoke outdoors. I do have a proper Chinot with my condo, and my bill from the moo baan, as well as my internet bills, and my cable bills. I recall going with the bluebook on my house to the village chief in San Pak Wan in 2006, after about a 4 hour wild goose chase, it was just decided that I didn't need to do anything, and that was that.

The U.S. Consulate doesn't have Fourth of July parties that are open to the public any more. They haven't for about five years.

The only time I've needed a Cert. of Res. was 1) to get a drivers license and then I can't remember if it was just for the one-year or if I needed it for the five year also. Guess I'll find out soon because the five year expires next year. and 2) when Hubby and I executed a Standard Will thru the Amphur office. They wanted a Cert of Res.

Of course, I've never bought a motor vehicle either.

I don't mind going to the U.S. Consulate, though I'm not really fond of giving them $50 for a notary stamp that costs at most $5 in the U.S. (Gee, I wonder if anyone else has told them this before?)

Yes, exactly, the folks that go there and lie about their pensions just look at the 1000 thb as an expense to avoid transferring money over here, so I decided to be legitimate anyway and not have to get THAT letter, and Americans being able to state their pensions verbally might be the next shoe to drop, as more and more are seen to be destitute.

I was just looking at opening an account at Kim Eng to trade stocks. Says you need work permit or "residential document, if applicable" so my visa says "employment prohibited" so it's not going to be a WP....but god only knows what they mean by residential document, and would this be a case for a yellowbook? Or is it going to be another mai pen rai, you're 150K is good enough.

Yes, exactly, the folks that go there and lie about their pensions just look at the 1000 thb as an expense to avoid transferring money over here, so I decided to be legitimate anyway and not have to get THAT letter, and Americans being able to state their pensions verbally might be the next shoe to drop, as more and more are seen to be destitute.

I was just looking at opening an account at Kim Eng to trade stocks. Says you need work permit or "residential document, if applicable" so my visa says "employment prohibited" so it's not going to be a WP....but god only knows what they mean by residential document, and would this be a case for a yellowbook? Or is it going to be another mai pen rai, you're 150K is good enough.

Try it and let us know. Something tells me your 150K (I assume you mean USD) is going to be just fine.

Got my yellow book in 1 day at SanSai, well everything was finalized,but the big boss was out

of the office so returned couple days later and picked it up ,no problem

Joe, you walking into the offices,the lady must have thought ,not going to give this

shifty looking character a yellow book,one look was all it took, your face and maybe

your demeanor.

Then because she would not issue you with a yellow book, you released a tirade on her,

Do you know who I am, long time resident,pay your wages,and she works for you! you have

been here long time and must know Thais don't like losing face,especially by a Farang,in

front of her colleagues,and members of the public,through you all future Farangs to

that office must have been made most welcome,NOT.

Could it not have been your fault you never got a yellow book,did you have all the paperwork,

and you do not mention the 2 witnesses to your good character.,so you are not only nasty on

ThaiVisa but out in the real world.

regards ,Worgeordie

Got my yellow book in 1 day at SanSai, well everything was finalized,but the big boss was out

of the office so returned couple days later and picked it up ,no problem

Joe, you walking into the offices,the lady must have thought ,not going to give this

shifty looking character a yellow book,one look was all it took, your face and maybe

your demeanor.

Then because she would not issue you with a yellow book, you released a tirade on her,

Do you know who I am, long time resident,pay your wages,and she works for you! you have

been here long time and must know Thais don't like losing face,especially by a Farang,in

front of her colleagues,and members of the public,through you all future Farangs to

that office must have been made most welcome,NOT.

Could it not have been your fault you never got a yellow book,did you have all the paperwork,

and you do not mention the 2 witnesses to your good character.,so you are not only nasty on

ThaiVisa but out in the real world.

regards ,Worgeordie

As rude and presumptuous this is I'll give you a reply.

This lady had blocked every attempt I made to satisfy her endless demands to such an extent that she managed to annoy my Thai wife, and that ain't easy. I paid at least a dozen visits to the office as well as being sent on a merry-go-round trip to government offices at Mae rim, near the US consul and behind the 3 Kings monument.

Finally I discovered that I didn't need the yellow book, but thought I'd continue anyway. When she persisted with her games I finally let her know what I thought. This was after about a month of running aroun. Rawhod and his wife appear to have had a similar experience with this lady, do you assume he had a bad attitude too?

Your argument that you got one easily in Sansai so therefore it must be my attitude is both simplistic and wrong.

I'm sure you'll understand if I don't respond to your future posts or personal messages. I'm sure the Mods will delete this nonsense too.

I too,at another land office, was asked by the girl at the counter to put money in an envelope and place it under my yellow book application. I had a sense that this request was coming after 3 visits and receiving requests for more and more witnesses etc and very personal questions, to my Thai wife, of 12 years, from the head man. I didn't make a fuss, just said politely "I don't do corruption" and walked away leaving her rather confused as if payment under the counter is the "norm" and maybe it is.

A yellow book may well be essential in years to come, as the goal posts tend to move, but as of now I can live without it.

But I thought that it was done at a different place than the land office.......it seems like we've come full circle on that aspect, also. I'm not married to a Thai, so I am also wondering if it will make me more vulnerable to need it in the future. I won't have a lease. THis guy told me 10,000 to get a retirement visa (or whatever we're calling it today) to visa company, surely some outfit must be able to do yellow books for a couple thousand. I just don't want an endless runaround.

Hi Thighlander, If you have all the required paperwork,aged over 50 years,

have had 800,000 bht in a Thai bank for 3 months prior,quite easy to do your

self cost 1,900 bht, 10000 bht be very careful, you need to get your retirement

extension first,before you get the yellow book,its important you have all your paper

work in order,dress neat and be respectful to any officers in any dept.if you want

to get the right results.

Depends when you want to do your retirement extension,but you can book a date

a 100 days before,just turn up on the date you have chosen with all paperwork,

theres a pinned site on top of this forum advising what paperwork you need.once

you have done it next times easier and you have saved 8K bht

regards Worgeordie PS forget the land office,both have nothing to do with it

Edited by worgeordie