Kindle Alternative

sturdyd

My beloved Kindle has gone belly up. Yes, I did the soft and hard resets, but no sign of life. I know I could get a new one online, but since I used it only as an ebook reader, I'm wondering if I could replace it with one of the cheap tablets I see at Lotus, Big C and a plethora of other surrounding shops?

All I'd need is a 6 or 7 inch display that displays text clearly. I'm guessing something Android based, but I'm open to suggestions. What specifically to look for in such a device?

Recommendations and/or tips are welcome.

Thx!

Well if you only use it as a reader I would get a kindle again, nothing beat them for lightweight and long battery life.

I own 2, the paperwhite is good for reading in the bedroom at night and all lights out thus not disturbing the wife.

• Like 2

You can install the kindle app on most android devices. It's pretty good. And free.

I have the Kindle app on my Win7 laptop. Good to know it's available on Android. Still, are any of these cheap tablets worth it? Any brands to avoid?

The Kindle app is also available for the iPad as well if you decide to go there, not exactly a cheaper option though.

The Mobi format for Kindle is easily and quickly converted to epub using one of several free programs (calibre?) which is almost a universal reader format.

I can't see why a cheap tablet would not be ok, using them as a reader puts very little strain on the system but the battery life may be a bit ordinary compared to the kindle or the iPad.

There are any number of IT sites on the internet where tablets and readers are rated and compared.

Edited by sceadugenga

As guzzi said, nothing beats the real book reader. Easy to read - no strain on the eyes as with the backlit displays, light weight and a long battery life. eBook readers are cheap too comparing to the decent android tablets. I'd just get another Kindle, or any other ebook reader... I heard the Sony e-readers are available locally?

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback and I agree that the Kindle is easy to read and has a great battery life, but I'm on my third one now. The first two were replaced under warranty back in the US, but this one is now out of warranty. And believe me, I don't abuse them. Maybe I'm just on a losing streak with them, but I'm not impressed with the build quality. I thought I might save a couple thousand baht with a cheap Chinese model (and get it same day!) But it could also be money down a rat hole, which is why I'm asking for impressions from anybody that has one (i.e., cheap Chinese tablet.)

If you can find it, you should purchase the older Nexus 7. It has a good screen and good build quality. You should be able to find it at a decent price. As far as the cheap Chinese tablets, most will work as e-readers but the build quality is typically lacking. I think Central is still selling the older Nexus 7 (2012) but I am not sure. I haven't looked in awhile.

• Like 1

We just got one of those copy samsung galaxy tab 5 for the kid to abuse. Cost about 2000 baht and as expected is absolute garbage. I would get a genuine galaxy tab 2 or 3 in 7 or 8 inch. I brought a second hand one for leaving at work and it's great.

We just got one of those copy samsung galaxy tab 5 for the kid to abuse. Cost about 2000 baht and as expected is absolute garbage. I would get a genuine galaxy tab 2 or 3 in 7 or 8 inch. I brought a second hand one for leaving at work and it's great.

Thanks, Ranger. You're at the nub of my original question. I just got back from Lotus and they had an "Andropad" for 1800 baht. I was tempted -- remembering all I want it for is ebooks -- but I passed. What brand was the Galaxy knock-off? And what about it was so crappy? Build? Functionality? Display?

Tnx!

It is called a galaxy. Same box as the original. But build quality, display etc are all very poor. The spaekers are awful. But then we fully expect the kid to destroy ot anyway lol.

I really wouldn't recommend it for an adult.

Edited by TexasRanger

If you're having bad luck with Kindles, try other brands of e-readers, there are quite a few choices.

I wouldn't buy any cheap Chinese tablets, the expression - you get what you pay for, applies here.

I played with one cheap chinese tab and it was horrible - the worst problem with it was the screen sensitivity and alignment. You really had to tap hard on the screen for it to register, and 1/2 a time it would activate something else and not what you clicked on. Some screen areas were just dead, no matter how hard you try, it wouldn't register any clicks. I thought the unit was defective, but tried 2 other units (same model) and they were the same.

If you really want a tablet, the best you can get is the Nexus tab. Nexus phones and tablets are the best devices for the money, look in classifieds and buy a second hand, would still be a smarter choice than buying a Chinese junk.

• Like 1

by the way, I have a Kobo book reader and one time it went dead and would only power up when plugged in (I think these were the symptoms). I opened it up to find out the battery cable got loose. plugged it back in and it no problems with it since. Try opening it up and see if there's anything wrong with it, anything that is obvious... If it's already dead, you won't make it more dead, LOL

Or sell it to me, will give ya 300 bht! :P (what model is it by the way?)

by the way, I have a Kobo book reader and one time it went dead and would only power up when plugged in (I think these were the symptoms). I opened it up to find out the battery cable got loose. plugged it back in and it no problems with it since. Try opening it up and see if there's anything wrong with it, anything that is obvious... If it's already dead, you won't make it more dead, LOL

Or sell it to me, will give ya 300 bht! tongue.png (what model is it by the way?)

Yes that is right, worth trying. You might also get it fixed cheaply at a phone/tablet repair shop if you are not technical minded.

My kindles never had any problems and the oldest one are even discontinued but I have a leather binder for both.

They do sell kindles in Bangkok, my paperwhite was bought there and they shipped it for free to Pattaya.

Try goggle kindlethailand.