Can I rent car with one year temporary license ?

Lumbini

Just took driving and written test in Bangkok and got one year temporary Private Car license : This licence is issued to those who have successfully completed the written & driving test. This licence is valid for a period of one year and at end of period driver can apply for 5 year and international license . My question is with valid passport and credit card in my name am I now able to rent car in Thailand at and establishment like Budget with the one year temporary license ? Not sure if rental companies consider this license adequate for rental agreement ? Any help would be appreciated and also any suggestions on what is best company to rent pickup truck or SUV in downtown Bangkok especially long term . Thanks !

What we think we become ...

Found this on the budget site

All drivers must hold a current, non-probationary license. The license may either be Thai, or from a renter's country of residence (with an English translation) or an international drivers permit. Licenses (and a valid passport) must be carried at all times when driving.

https://www.budget.co.th/TipsDriveThai.aspx

So with your 1 year license it seems you are out of luck

Edited by MJCM

Good luck to you.

But just be careful when you drive here, these roads are among the most dangerous in the world especially for a novice driver.

One advice get 2 Dash Cams, 1 for the Front Window and 1 for the back window just in case you get into an Accident

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-most-dangerous--and-safest--countries-for-driving-200422236.html

Edited by MJCM

All drivers must hold a current, non-probationary license. The license may either be Thai, or from a renter's country of residence (with an English translation) or an international drivers permit. Licenses (and a valid passport) must be carried at all times when driving.

Assuming that the license the OP holds is issued in Thailand, I would think he has a valid license, since there are no permanent licenses in Thailand.

After 1 year he will get a 5 year license, which I understand is also temporary since he will have to renew it every 5 years .

• Like 1

Yes you can.

I have numerous times in the last year.

My one year provisional is up this month.

Avis seem to be the cheapest.

I've always used them and no complaints. smile.png

The first time we booked and went to pay with my mother's visa card, as I was the driver they were going to charge 250b or something a day as I was not the official renter (named extra driver) My condo was next door so came back 10 mins later with my own visa card and all done no worries.

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 1

I was under the impression that the 1 year license is a full license, it's just that it lasts for one year.

I got mine issued based off my UK license which is a full permenent license. I keep them both in my wallet anyway.

• Like 1

Assuming that the license the OP holds is issued in Thailand, I would think he has a valid license, since there are no permanent licenses in Thailand.

After 1 year he will get a 5 year license, which I understand is also temporary since he will have to renew it every 5 years .

I agree, but it isn't the wording in the word "temporary" license / 1 year license ?? And that's why I said "it seems .... " wink.png

And some rental agencies here in Thailand only want to see foreign licenses and don't care about copies of Thai licenses / Thai ID cards or even want to rent out to Thais (but that's OT)

Edited by MJCM

Thanks for all the replies I will go visit the rental agency's in the morning before I go to car dealership and purchase new car but had wanted to rent a month before buying but whatever works and is legal . Read that after living here so long one was required to get Thai license so that's why I did . Playing by all the rules here has been real good move for me always and really feel fortunate to be able to live in this country .

I never had a problem renting a car with my initial 1 Year Thai MDL. I now have the 5 year variety but I rented a couple of cars previously and then bought a couple in my name and showing my Thai MDL.

Even got stopped by The Bill for turning against a Red Light. He took the MDL and my wife went to the Police Station on my behalf, she explained that a Thai driver had turned through the same Red light before me and another after me but the cop didn't stop either of them. The Head Honcho at the station was quick to return my license without a fine. Again, no problem with the fact I had been driving a rental car at the time of the incident.

Also interested about the Written Test....I never had to do one for either the 1 Year or 5 Year license.

• Like 1

Also interested about the Written Test....I never had to do one for either the 1 Year or 5 Year license.

Did you have to do the practical?

Normally a Foreigner will only have to do the written and practical test if they don't have already a foreign license.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

If you have a licence from your home country, that will carry more weight than any Thai Licence!

There is no 'weight'.

The menial staff ask for your license, they look at it with out paying attention, maybe copy it, and hand it back while the other hand is playing Candy Crush.

If you have a licence from your home country, that will carry more weight than any Thai Licence!

There is no 'weight'.

The menial staff ask for your license, they look at it with out paying attention, maybe copy it, and hand it back while the other hand is playing Candy Crush.

The OP mentions a proper hire company like Budget... not your usual back-street uninsured car rental place like you would find in Pattaya or Phuket.

" I never had a problem renting a car with my initial 1 Year Thai MDL. I now have the 5 year variety but I rented a couple of cars previously and then bought a couple in my name and showing my Thai MDL. "

Thanks for this post and I will check with several rent car companies in the morning as they may vary in qualification and report back with a post .

No need Sir,

All accept your first 1 yr driving license.

Looking at the back of mine now, it allows you drive cars, pick-up trucks and mini-vans. :)

Never mind the lads who didn't even know what you were asking about. :)

I have rented from Budget, Avis and Sixt in the past. Avis and Budget were both fine with my 1 year Thai License and recently I used Sixt with my 5 year Thai License. I think I may have used my UK license (not international) once to rent from one of the big name companies in Phuket a few years ago too, think it was Avis at the airport but can't remember for certain.

Recently when I used Sixt at Rama IV BKK, they would only take debit or credit card for payment of the rental fee. They insisted on credit card for the excess deposit of 20k baht, but it was then explained that I could pay it with debit card if I wanted, but it could take upto 6 months to be returned to my account.

I am not sure where the OP hails from but up until 3 years ago, I was a regular car renter here. I am from the UK and always found the best deals were through fastcarhire.co.uk and they easily beat the website and walk-in quotes from all the main car rental franchises in Thailand. The best deals were invariably with Thai Rent A Car with some alternate good deals with Budget. I built up a very good relationship with TRAC in as much as I would get upgrades when available, several times they ensured I got a brand new (red plate) vehicle and extending a rental was a mere formality. They were aware that I was paying less than a customer booking directly with them but they always encouraged me to use the online broker, even on an short-notice rental where the brokers confirmation timing may have been tight. Car collection and drop-off at Suvarnabhumi, Samui and Udon Thani was always very efficiently done.

My recent experience with 'brokered' car rental in the UK is that you are not given the same level of customer service as a customer that is dealing direct with the car rental franchise. My experience in Thailand with TRAC has been stellar.

• Like 1

I never had a problem renting a car with my initial 1 Year Thai MDL. I now have the 5 year variety but I rented a couple of cars previously and then bought a couple in my name and showing my Thai MDL.

Even got stopped by The Bill for turning against a Red Light. He took the MDL and my wife went to the Police Station on my behalf, she explained that a Thai driver had turned through the same Red light before me and another after me but the cop didn't stop either of them. The Head Honcho at the station was quick to return my license without a fine. Again, no problem with the fact I had been driving a rental car at the time of the incident.

I assume you mean you turned left?

Doesn't matter what kind of license you had then. Turning left at a red light is perfectly legal in Thailand and he shouldn't have stopped you at all.

I assume you mean you turned left?

Doesn't matter what kind of license you had then. Turning left at a red light is perfectly legal in Thailand and he shouldn't have stopped you at all.

Up here in Chiangmai, there are several red-light intersections that have signs (in Thai, of course) which prohibit any turns until the light is green; otherwise, though, I agree with you.

Back to the OP's question, he should have no problem renting a car with his 1-year Thai license. It may be only for one year but it's a full driving license.

It might be a good thing, but you seems way to anxious about the rules and doing it perfectly. This is Thailand - you can rent any vehicle here with almost anything that looks like a licence from anywhere ! I'm not saying this is true of the biggies like Avis or Hertz, but local Thai businesses often rent out their wheels to anyone who can show a licence from their home country. As was said above - your home country licence is almost guaranteed to be genuine proof you can actually drive quite well, whereas the Thai licence is a complete joke.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Unless the rules have changed in the last couple of years, I don't think you are correct. A UK drivers licence is not legal for use in Thailand, you need to have an international drivers licence - or a Thai one. This only becomes a problem at the ubiquitous roadblocks as they give the local plod the chance to extract a 'fine'.

In general there are many people with lack of reading capability. Or they have problems in understanding the sense of content. The latter is mostly due to a lack of logical thinking. @MJCM gave us here a brilliant example. clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Reporting back a little late as all the agencies I have been two have no problem with my one year license but no one has truck or SUV because of holiday after investigating yesterday and today . This is they say one of the times they are lowest on inventory . Looking at accident statistics last few days and watching ambulances racing around Bangkok possibly a blessing they not have the kind of car I want to rent long term until abound the 22st . Thanks for all the replies , all of the tests I took to get license and just looking at driving and drivers in Thailand has been great opportunity in giving me even more awareness in safety as I walk around as pedestrian . I have and would never ride or take motorcycle taxi after my friend was paralyzed when someone ran a stop sigh and was one reason I got car license bypassing motorcycle permit . For all of those on motorcycles be safe ! And thanks for all the replies .