Crazy & offensive Thais with tuned cars - making the motor roar

Kf6vci

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your arguments against warming up an engine ?

The engine's internal components have much larger clearances when cold than when warm, thus more wear on the parts. A light load on the engine is quicker to warm up the engine, so less wear.

But this makes approximately zero difference in Thailand as the engine never gets cold enough for this start-up wear to be significant. Living in a properly cold country, I used to observe the oil pressure gauge peg out on engine start and once it started coming down I started driving. Still, it could take 5-10 minutes for the engine to come up to temperature. People warming up their engines at idle wore them out in relatively short order.

I'd say give it a good few seconds and just start driving, but don't rev the engine or use full power until warm.

I found the opposite to be true. Thai genious says one is to put the car into a higher gear when overtaking as 5th is faster than 4th.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

My ex Thai g/f let her diesel engine warm up for 20 min. before driving.

My arguments against it were ignored.

actually she was most likely just trying to get the aircon nice and cool...:)

there always seems to be someone bitching about what people do to "disturb" their western lifestyle in BKK.....

I can just see Clint Eastwood screaming "get off my lawn"

is there a ThaiVisa for Thais where they bitch about us and our stupid Western ways :)

there always seems to be someone bitching about what people do to "disturb" their western lifestyle in BKK.....

I can just see Clint Eastwood screaming "get off my lawn"

is there a ThaiVisa for Thais where they bitch about us and our stupid Western ways smile.png

yes, it's called facebook.

• Like 1

I found the opposite to be true. Thai genious says one is to put the car into a higher gear when overtaking as 5th is faster than 4th.

Hmmmmmm, should start it and drive it, max oil pressure to get all around the engine comes in above idle, also the engine gets to it's recommended operating temperature under load. When starting an engine from cold a fuel enrichment process is used (choke), you let it idle you will just burn more fuel cos it takes much longer for the engine to warm up.

Hmmmmmm, should start it and drive it, max oil pressure to get all around the engine comes in above idle, also the engine gets to it's recommended operating temperature under load. When starting an engine from cold a fuel enrichment process is used (choke), you let it idle you will just burn more fuel cos it takes much longer for the engine to warm up.

Really. A diesel pickup has a choke ?

on a chipped v8 vigo apparently ;)

Would have thought any engine has a cold start enrichment system, don't ask me how it works on a diesel though. smile.png

All gas engines do, just in case you didn't know......thumbsup.gif

Would have thought any engine has a cold start enrichment system, don't ask me how it works on a diesel though. smile.png

Diesel - add fuel via the ECU to get richer mixture.

New gas cars - the same.

Old gas cars - use a choke, which restricts air, making the mixture more rich.

• Like 1

Early Jap imported Nissan Big Ms had a pull out Choke. A Car Like thing marked Cold Start...Never used it though.

Must have had mechanical FI - never seen a choke on a diesel, but I'm young yet !!!

Diesel - add fuel via the ECU to get richer mixture.

New gas cars - the same.

Old gas cars - use a choke, which restricts air, making the mixture more rich.

Doh! facepalm.gif Yep, sensors tell the ECU the engine is cold and automatically adjust the fuel mixture accordingly.. It is also actually better to run the engine a few minutes and then shut it off a few minutes instead of idling long time, this saves fuel and the trapped water in the engines block will transfer the heat quicker and it will warm up quicker with the water sitting trapped in the block and head with a closed thermostat.

Edited by WarpSpeed

• 4 weeks later...

The engine's internal components have much larger clearances when cold than when warm, thus more wear on the parts. A light load on the engine is quicker to warm up the engine, so less wear.

A bit of an exaggeration there to say "much bigger clearances"..

Well, then let me put it differently to make it clear.

Most engine parts have slightly larger clearances cold vs hot.

Most pistons (there are exceptions) have massively larger clearances when cold due to piston and cylinder having been [usually] manufactured from materials with different expansion rate and having a different operating temperature (piston runs much hotter and thus expands more than the cylinder wall due to thermal conductivity differences).

Capisce? smile.png

All the First Big Ms were imported from Japan, the steel gauge was thicker than the Thai ones, and had an old clonker that looked like a Benz Saloon Taxi from the seventies. Jeez the rear door was drop down crash unless you new the beast. Kept it for 17 years as a Go For , superb old chap.

If you've got hypereutectic alloy pistons your be OK then. biggrin.png

For sure, most high-perf engines run them from the factory now. Subie STI engine clearances (for ex.) are low to nil cold. The next step up is forged pistons, which tend to be a bit noisy when cold due to large clearances. You of course could make forged pistons out of hypereutectic alloy to avoid that, but in an extreme application it's the ultimate strength that matters more. Diesel engine pistons are often hypo-eutectic (low in the alloying material, in this case silicon) due to the required knock resistance (pliability without incurring damage) and have extremely bad cold wear characteristics [offset by the usually longer run times of such engines].

A bit of an exaggeration there to say "much bigger clearances"..

Well, then let me put it differently to make it clear.

Most engine parts have slightly larger clearances cold vs hot.

Most pistons (there are exceptions) have massively larger clearances when cold due to piston and cylinder having been [usually] manufactured from materials with different expansion rate and having a different operating temperature (piston runs much hotter and thus expands more than the cylinder wall due to thermal conductivity differences).

Capisce? smile.png

I had forged in my engine, think it had 5th clearance, no slap noise, but they were fully floating. smile.png

Edited by transam