PM misses Prem meeting

Lite Beer

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It is good to see all three of the Armed Forces' commanders and police chief come to me every year. This shows we all have friendship and I have the Armed Forces as good friends,"

Lord, what away to run a business!

Thailand is too fixated on ritual. Remember the USSR? Western intelligence services (an oxymoron?) used to have to wait for the annual weapons parade to then analyze photos and see who was in favor and who was off (or at the fringes of) the podium. Similar now to N.Korea and China, where, in a typical Asian way, we don't get plain talk, but instead have to read the tea leaves to gauge who's in, and who's out of favor with the power brokers.

Though I have no love for the Shinawatres, I do respect how Ms Yingluck didn't automatically/mechanically kowtow - by presenting pink flowers to Prem. I acknowledge ritual is needed in Thailand, particularly in such a stratified, superstitious society, but as with anything, ritual can be overdone. What's needed is straight talk and more egalitarianism. But that won't happen. The rich will keep getting richer, and the peons will keep getting poorer, but at least the little people can throw buckets of water at each other for a week each year. Whoopee!

How much do those generals and admirals and all those hundreds of hangers-ons (at Prem's ritual) garner in cumulative salary each day? All those tax-paid salaries were paid, so they could kneel and wai at Prem.

"How much do those generals and admirals and all those hundreds of hangers-ons (at Prem's ritual) garner in cumulative salary each day? All those tax-paid salaries were paid, so they could kneel and wai at Prem"

His home is also owned by the taxpayer, btw.

I see FB is back, but not bothering to answer difficult questions about his previous post. Still he's managed not to use 'coup makers' or 'coup advocates' so that's good.

Yingluck has acted as she should have.

The present and the future belongs to the young.

Shuffle off old man.

You are in Ko Tee territory

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If she attended then all the yellow shirt/Suthep supporters would be complaining that she has the military in her pocket and why wasn't she at the NAAC instead of being in the limelight.

I think the military actually has her and the PTP in their pocket.

Annother PAD-Dem take on things, in part meant to denigrate the Prime Minister - a non-PAD-DEM....And I see it worked.

The very first line of the very first post/comment as follows:

>>>>>>One wonders how she can blatantly alienate herself in such a way.

>>>>>The Armed Forces would have power over those who have bad plans to hurt our nation," Prem said.

I wonder who he might be referring to?...Could it be Suthep and his people trying to eradicate Democracy and replace it with a Civilian dictatorship?.........What do you think?.......

>>>>>>The caretaker prime minister faces many political and legal challenges because of the prolonged anti-government protests concentrated in Bangkok

Time for corrections...again....Tthey are not prolonged anti-govt. protests....They are prolonged coup-advocacy activities...nothing to do with protesting or anti-govt.

It is not the Prime Minister who is facing "many political and legal challenges"......It is the electoral majority and the very essence of Democracy, which is facing these challenges.

>>>>>> Prayuth said he hoped the political situation would get better after the traditional Songkran events,

Hoping that everyone will commit to Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy?....Is that what he is hoping for?...What do you think?

The view of UDD/RS's pro-democracy elements are that Prem was a significant figure behind the 2006 coup....Agree or not, that is what they think. So aggrandizing Prem not only falls on deaf ears, it in fact annoys them. It is their view that the decade-long political crisis owes much to Prem's interference and machinations:

Just the other side of the political divide folks.

Frysland Boppe as usual stays in his cocoon woven of red threads.... Prem hasn't said a word about her not showing up. He also said he cannot negotiate as neither side will listen. Just like YOU Fryslan Boppe, they won't LISTEN. Gather some more information and give both sides their own rights and wrongs. The reds are militia that have been enforcing their will on most of the Thai people. The PRDC is a movement for Suthep, by Suthep. This both is wrong. Common ground can be found between the Phue Thai (if they recognize the electoral system needs a change) and the Democrats. That would help restore peace in Thailand for all the people. Oil on the fire by a person from the "low lands" is the last Thailand needs.

• Like 2

How many times in a year do you expect a sitting PM to run over to the unelected former military ruler's house to show deference?

She has neither the legal, nor moral obligation to go and pay homage to the man who has not been Thailand's biggest supporter of democratically elected governments.

Some say Yingluck is a divisive factor. I offer that the retired General Prem is more of a divisive factor because he brings back memories of the suspension of civil liberties, military dictatorships, death and violence.

Ummmmm..... excuse me, but if you really understood Thailand, your comments are a breach of Lèse majesté!

Les M..., your joking aren’t you?

A few years ago someone filed a lese majeste complaint about a petition against Prem. The police refused to accept it, saying that the law didn't cover the Privy Council.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Im currently reading a book about Thai politics and those who cannot be mentioned ( banned in Thailand ) going back to the 1920's, the same political situation that's going on now has been played out many times over since then for the same reason, GREED. It's a good read, available at Times Bookshop Changi airport, distinctive photo on the front cover.thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

So , she didn't bother to turn up....... whats new whistling.gif

Why would you expect someone to socialize with people who are opposed to her as PM?

Her problem at the moment is that not only does she isolate herself in the north but talks only to people of a certain political persuasion.

How will she ever learn?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Prem event was not an educational seminar. It was a staged PR event to show who controls what in Thailand.

In Thailand, it's all about the show and sending signals of who is where in the social hierarchy.

THe PM no longer wishes to play the game of the military and its champion who do not believe that the military should ever be accountable to the people.That sir is the reality.

Absolutely correct and now I know why every Thai senior ministry person I have ever met during business dealings are all dressed in General uniforms on their name cards and shown in their reception areas in uniforms with tons of metals.

This is a totally military controlled country and typically one cannot become an MP, Senator, or other Ministry official without having gone through the "proper" military academy and achieved the "proper" rank, primarily through payoffs and cronyism.

The comment in this article "so that people will love, respect and trust the military and police," Prem said." tells it all. So one cannot have any trust in the political and (supposedly) democratic process with the people’s elected Parliament along with a partially elected Senate. The military "rules" in the final court of “justice” in the determination of the future of the country, so let's get over it and admit this is a military ruled country, and personally I am fine with that since I choose to live here and not back in another military dictatorship in my own country.

This woman is devoid of intellect, character and conscience and is totally unfit to lead anything except a shopping expedition. She is politically and socially dead but lacks the wit to stiffen. A complete non event in fancy clothes, nothing more.

Care to put your name and passport number to this remark, so that she can have legal redress ???

Thought not..................no nerve or something.

Nope.

It just means he is neither gullible, or a cretin.

Wasted sarcasm deleted.

Hope the elected PM can rise above the 50 + years of cronyism and vested interests that the establishment represents, but somehow I doubt it.

As another poster says, why should she show respect to someone who plays for her downfall ?

She will be removed very soon, the fools on here will gloat and Thailand will go backwards a few more steps.

Eventually there will be another election with another result unacceptable to the unelectable and so it will go on until a new generation gets access to power.

Even then there is no guarantee.

All very sad for this great country.

The "Perils of Thaksin" are actually minor in the context of the bigger issues, that self censorship forbids to be discussed.

Wouldn't say she rises above anything, rather trying to emulate the same old (unless you meant it as "surpass").

With three out of the last five prime ministers coming from the same family, it's hard to see it as a great improvement of the existing political order. She and her clan do not really offer a new future for Thailand, just an alternate version of what is.