Another populist setback may be looming

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"...to bear the negative impact of political populism"

It is one thing to discuss the pro's and con's of Govt. programs, another to advance political theory while doing so.

Left unchallenged, such negating of political theory and underlying principles, could be viewed as gospel....Left unchallenged, the self-serving motives would be obscured....Puts into context, over-the-top denigration of such programs by the PAD-Dem's, and why you see them seeking out each and every possible program hitch, and magnifying them.

The Ammart is opposed to what the above quote calls "political populism"...Let's be sure we know what that means.....

Populism refers to "programs for ordinary people"...So in the context of this quote, the statement actually says that "Political programs for ordinary people is a bad thing"

And that is the mantra of BKK. centered political circles, who decry what they see as national financial wherewithal being wasted on ordinary folks not of their station.

Does that give you a clue as to their electoral futility? Does that give you an inkling about all the furor and noise they generate against Govt. programs designed to 'spread the wealth'.

It is why the Lumpini crowd wants to establish a Civilian Dictatorship of their own kind, to put an end to such programming which does not cater to them exclusively....

The only way they can do that is non-electorally.

Blame the ammart, blame the ammart, blame the ammart...

Time to get a new playbook.

Like the PTP, he does not give intelligent answers, but he does give answers that the UDD want to hear.

As a 1940's leader said. "I need the jews to scapegoat as without them we would have no one to blame for all the problems in his country"

Today without the ammart, the PDRC, the DEM's, the courts, the military, the medical association, the civil servants, the labor unions, the Green Politics group, the Thai Constitution Protection Association, the Thai press then the PTP would have no one to blame, but themselves.

They need the ammart to survive more than a human needs oxygen to survive. Just as without oxygen a human will die the PTP would die without the ammart to blame all their own faults on. They would then be seen for what they truly are. A weak, incompetent, reprehensible entity with no morales that support only 1 of 15 principles of democracy to achieve their goal of complete domination.

So when you read the above it is not because it really is the ammarts fault. It is because they use the ammart as a convenience for their own faults. In a way he is thanking the ammart for being there and he does respect them for the convenience that it affords his arguments.

I like your post but I have a GENERAL question based on my ignorance of only being partially interested in what goes on here in thailand...

Is blaming the AMMART in Bangkok for anything similar to or a case of "lese majeste" as I am lead to believe to Royal Family owns most of Bangkok and in large Thai companies the King is a shareholder.... so with this in mind, anyone in the red corners lashing out out AMMART is in deed lashing out at the ruling Monarch and that is technically against the law?

Feel free to slam me if I am wrong...

Edited by marcusd
  • Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Populism refers to "programs for ordinary people"...So in the context of this quote, the statement actually says that "Political programs for ordinary people is a bad thing"

When the promises offer hope, but actually deliver despair, please explain how that isn't a 'bad thing'

Farmers have committed suicide already, do first time car buyers have to start doing the same thing before you come to realise how foul your messages are?

"When the promises offer hope, but actually deliver despair, please explain how that isn't a 'bad thing'

Convince the electorate in the re-scheduled election.

A problem I see re-occuring all the time, is many people buy Opposition charges holus-bolus....As if what the Opposition says and accuses, is all gospel.

In western democracies, Opposition noise is taken "with a grain of salt".....If the populace got fired up everytime the Opposition opposed something, and called it the "mother of all travesties", they would be fired up all the time.

If the electorate buys this stuff, and throws the bums out on their ear, your point is valid...If not, it is invalid.

The opposition will have all the opportunities it needs to convince the electorate in the upcoming election...Unless of course if they are succesful in avoiding another one by circumventing them with the imposition of a Civilian Dictatorship......

Good luck with Governance after that.

Now I am convinced you are from somewhere like North Korea! "In western democracies, Opposition noise is taken "with a grain of salt".....If the populace got fired up everytime the Opposition opposed something" Well in the West that is how OPPOSITIONS BECOME THE GOVERNMENT... DOH!

And that is how things are challenged and changed to BETTER the country as a whole. DOH!! I still want to meet you...... Good for me maybe not for youthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It is one thing to discuss the pro's and con's of Govt. programs, another to advance political theory while doing so.

Left unchallenged, such negating of political theory and underlying principles, could be viewed as gospel....Left unchallenged, the self-serving motives would be obscured....Puts into context, over-the-top denigration of such programs by the PAD-Dem's, and why you see them seeking out each and every possible program hitch, and magnifying them.

The Ammart is opposed to what the above quote calls "political populism"...Let's be sure we know what that means.....

And that is the mantra of BKK. centered political circles, who decry what they see as national financial wherewithal being wasted on ordinary folks not of their station.

Does that give you a clue as to their electoral futility? Does that give you an inkling about all the furor and noise they generate against Govt. programs designed to 'spread the wealth'.

It is why the Lumpini crowd wants to establish a Civilian Dictatorship of their own kind, to put an end to such programming which does not cater to them exclusively....

Can anybody tell me who the ammart are?

Names? Proof?

Conspiration theory!

The fault with populist schemes is that they always entail robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Sorry you are totally incorrect here. No Peter or Paul in the Thai schemes.

robbing Thailand to PAY THAKSIN is what you mean... smile.png

• Like 2

Can anybody tell me who the ammart are?

Names? Proof?

Conspiration theory!

Oh please. I think you will.find it is a Thai word.

There are hundreds of books about them and their role in Thailand. If that is too hard for you, go and ask a Thai person. Ask a red leaning one and then a yellow leaning one to get a balance of opinion.

If run like the rice scheme.. The government would have bought 1million cars from manufacturers with vouchers with 0% interest on the promise that they will later pay the manufacturers

Got it.

The manufacturers are Peter.

The Government are Paul.

Where did Mary go?

She is awaiting the NACC rulings

• Like 1

Quote name="rametindallas" post="7681260" timestamp="1397281381"]

I hate the word.populism.

Cars in Thailand are taxed to death. All the right leaning small govt ideologists should be applauding giving the taxes back.

But hey TIT. Land of contradictory support.

When all the ''advanced' countries are doing their utmost to get the citizenry to use public transportation, Thailand's government decides to subsidize the use of personal cars; and do it in a city that was already near gridlock from personal cars. Thinking about the long-term consequences of their actions is not in the Thai make-up. Giving tax supports to buy major item like a car just puts people further in debt; Thais were already awash in consumer debt. The money they tie up each month in car payments is now not being spent on the general economy so the general economy suffers. All governments, not just Thailand's, need to stay out of manipulating the economy and let the free market work. No government in the world is good at picking winners and losers and it just opens the possibilities of more corruption to insiders.

No it wasn't a subsidy. It was a tax rebate on small cars.

I think that is used quite universally around the world to encourage people to buy small efficient cars. All the rest is semantics.

This reduced government revenue in the medium term, it did not cost the government a penny. People simply got back the tax they had paid.

Its OK. All this political tension believing that every step that this government takes is obviously designed to give away something for nothing. The ecological arguments are valid and the credit stuff too.

That's a different issue as to whether the policy was populist. I consider giving people back their taxes a good thing, particularly those who need it most.

What they should have done is permenenatly reduce the tax on small cars. But that would have been construed as even more populist.

Like I said. Tax land and get rid of all these stupid duties. Any takers

I mean if you can afford all that land and leave it sitting empty, can't you afford a couple of 100 per rai.

I completely agree the there should be substantial tax on undeveloped land as currently there is none (This is allowing wealthy landowners to sit on vast tracts of land with no tax penalty, thereby keeping it off the market, and driving up land prices to the point that average Thais cannot afford land). I completely agree there should be a tax incentive for very fuel-efficient cars. I consider a 'populist' program as a program that gives a benefit that does not generally benefit the society as a whole but wins friends/votes for the government that promotes those programs. Greece is an example of populism gone wild.

Quote name="rametindallas" post="7681260" timestamp="1397281381"]

I hate the word.populism.

Cars in Thailand are taxed to death. All the right leaning small govt ideologists should be applauding giving the taxes back.

But hey TIT. Land of contradictory support.

When all the ''advanced' countries are doing their utmost to get the citizenry to use public transportation, Thailand's government decides to subsidize the use of personal cars; and do it in a city that was already near gridlock from personal cars. Thinking about the long-term consequences of their actions is not in the Thai make-up. Giving tax supports to buy major item like a car just puts people further in debt; Thais were already awash in consumer debt. The money they tie up each month in car payments is now not being spent on the general economy so the general economy suffers. All governments, not just Thailand's, need to stay out of manipulating the economy and let the free market work. No government in the world is good at picking winners and losers and it just opens the possibilities of more corruption to insiders.

No it wasn't a subsidy. It was a tax rebate on small cars.

I think that is used quite universally around the world to encourage people to buy small efficient cars. All the rest is semantics.

This reduced government revenue in the medium term, it did not cost the government a penny. People simply got back the tax they had paid.

Its OK. All this political tension believing that every step that this government takes is obviously designed to give away something for nothing. The ecological arguments are valid and the credit stuff too.

That's a different issue as to whether the policy was populist. I consider giving people back their taxes a good thing, particularly those who need it most.

What they should have done is permenenatly reduce the tax on small cars. But that would have been construed as even more populist.

Like I said. Tax land and get rid of all these stupid duties. Any takers

I mean if you can afford all that land and leave it sitting empty, can't you afford a couple of 100 per rai.

I completely agree the there should be substantial tax on undeveloped land as currently there is none (This is allowing wealthy landowners to sit on vast tracts of land with no tax penalty, thereby keeping it off the market, and driving up land prices to the point that average Thais cannot afford land). I completely agree there should be a tax incentive for very fuel-efficient cars. I consider a 'populist' program as a program that gives a benefit that does not generally benefit the society as a whole but wins friends/votes for the government that promotes those programs. Greece is an example of populism gone wild.

We already pay tax on my wife's farmland (220 rai) and this increases if we don't plant anything on the land ( which we wont be doing this year) so the wife will rent it out to several other farmers to make a little money avoid the risk and the extra tax

Populism destroys prosperity. In 2 years populism destroyed Thailand's ranking in the global rice market.

When you make people accustomed to populism, they always demand more of it. Populism, when unleashed, doesn't go away and often eats its own master.

This OP highlights another example of this cancer.

Ignorance destroys an attempt at an intelligent discussion. Vietnam and India had bumper rice harvests. India poured large amounts into its rice subsidy program and engaged in trade deals that other countries who respect trade sanctions would not enter into. India dumped rice on the market. Don't let those inconvenient facts get in your way.

The automobile incentive was intended to boost the Thai automotive sector when it most needed support. Although not as large as the US and Canadian government bailouts of their auto industries, it provided a much needed boost to the auto manufacturers who had suffered from the Thai floods. Thailand auto sector is a major source of revenue for the government and skilled jobs for its workers. The incentives were welcomed by the business sector and were considered helpful.

Ignorance destroys an attempt at an intelligent discussion.

Condescension ensures no rebuttal. Pity because your argument has more holes that swiss cheese.

Well done. Can't help yourself can you.

Ok, where are these uncountable holes in the argument above? What a woos response.

"The car buyers are in a better situation all round than the rice farmers. Owning a car is hardly a matter of life and death. Losing out on the tax refund you expected after buying a car won't cripple anyone financially. It is another thing entirely to be promised the best price for your farm produce, on which your family depends for daily sustenance, and then not get it. Regardless, even if the car buyers deserve less "sympathy", the government initiative that drew them into this monetary arrangement is still appalling"

Really...? how many of these buyers were relying on this tax refund to pay off the ensuing monthly car finance repayments to the banks and financial institutions.?

I would suggest quite a number were......and are now faced with repossession of the vehicle........

and a new job and shortly, a new coloured shirt.

Populism destroys prosperity. In 2 years populism destroyed Thailand's ranking in the global rice market.

When you make people accustomed to populism, they always demand more of it. Populism, when unleashed, doesn't go away and often eats its own master.

Ignorance destroys an attempt at an intelligent discussion. Vietnam and India had bumper rice harvests. India poured large amounts into its rice subsidy program and engaged in trade deals that other countries who respect trade sanctions would not enter into. India dumped rice on the market. Don't let those inconvenient facts get in your way.

The automobile incentive was intended to boost the Thai automotive sector when it most needed support. Although not as large as the US and Canadian government bailouts of their auto industries, it provided a much needed boost to the auto manufacturers who had suffered from the Thai floods. Thailand auto sector is a major source of revenue for the government and skilled jobs for its workers. The incentives were welcomed by the business sector and were considered helpful.

Ignorance destroys an attempt at an intelligent discussion.

Condescension ensures no rebuttal. Pity because your argument has more holes that swiss cheese.

Well done. Can't help yourself can you.

Ok, where are these uncountable holes in the argument above? What a woos response.

"What a woos response" Seriously? I'm ignorant and a woos now.

Traits of people with personality disorders - Belittling, condescending & patronizing speech - Giving someone a verbal put-down while maintaining a facade of reasonableness or friendliness. Not saying you have a P.D. though. I suggest less condescension and more respect. In other words don't act like the UDD.

Edited by djjamie

It's the financial institutions that will be effected, not the individual. These car purchases are all tied up in financing, when the rebate cheque comes it goes straight to the bank. Still, there are a lot of people who bought cars but now can't really afford them but cannot sell them, so give them up, having lost a lot of money on a liability. Cars are liabilities, not assets, that's the saddest thing about this program. It simply caused the working class to consume rather than save.

"Losing out on the tax refund you expected after buying a car won't cripple anyone financially"

Really? That is quite a sweeping statement - what about the farmers who borrow from loan sharks against the promises of the rebate to pay off the loans to buy the pickup that they managed without previously. The OP is presuming that all Thais who took advantage of this scam are well experienced in financial forward thinking and debt management.

When the promises offer hope, but actually deliver despair, please explain how that isn't a 'bad thing'

Farmers have committed suicide already, do first time car buyers have to start doing the same thing before you come to realise how foul your messages are?

"boppe my baloney" (another term for w--k-r) is talking complete garbage as usual

Just wondering since elected, what if anything has this gov got right?

Sent from my LG-P970

Well, they dissolved themselves. It took 'em awhile, but parliament eventually got that right. The election was voided. They got that right, too (although the caretaker govt can't really claim much of the credit for that). The amnesty bill may yet eventually come back to life, but for the time-being, that's OK, too.

As for anything else, no, it's pretty much a head-scratcher and a daed good question.

• Like 1

"When the promises offer hope, but actually deliver despair, please explain how that isn't a 'bad thing'

A problem I see re-occuring all the time, is many people buy Opposition charges holus-bolus....As if what the Opposition says and accuses, is all gospel.

In western democracies, Opposition noise is taken "with a grain of salt".....If the populace got fired up everytime the Opposition opposed something, and called it the "mother of all travesties", they would be fired up all the time.

If the electorate buys this stuff, and throws the bums out on their ear, your point is valid...If not, it is invalid.

The opposition will have all the opportunities it needs to convince the electorate in the upcoming election...Unless of course if they are succesful in avoiding another one by circumventing them with the imposition of a Civilian Dictatorship......

"When the promises offer hope, but actually deliver despair, please explain how that isn't a 'bad thing'" - refers to the failed rice/car/tablet schemes.

You have used 118 words and yet you did not answer the above simple question.

• Like 1

You seem to have joined the ranks of the posters here who are experts on everything and have immediate close inside information of everything under the sun.

Suggest you take break g'kid, your not convincing and it's obvious your grabbing at straws, and in many cases you just try to sideline the topic. Your obvious.

If you consider reading the rice sector's trade journals inside info, then ok. If you don't wish to accept that both Vietnam and India,had bumper rice harvests when the rice pledging scheme was in its first year, there isn;'t much I can say to convince you otherwise. If you don't wish to consider that India heavily subsidized its rice growers, then ok, not much I can say to you on that. According to you this is all "inside" info and hush hush.

As for the auto sector rebates, most of the people posting on this thread don't even know what the details of the excise tax rebate program were. Not all first time auto purchasers qualified .

-Eligible vehicles include passenger cars with an engine capacity of no more than 1,500cc (including eco-cars) and pickups (including double-cab pickups) priced at not more than Bt1 million. Previously, the scheme covered only eco-cars and pickups.

-The vehicles must be locally assembled - excluding those that are assembled from used imported parts - and the minimum age for buyers is 21.

-To prevent profiteering, the vehicle has to remain in the possession of the first buyer for five years.

- Maximum refund 100,000 baht

"There will be payment defaults and we might have a trough but overall it was good that the government did this scheme because the industry came to its absolute capacity limit," said Uli Kaiser, president of industry analysts the Automotive Focus Group Thailand. "Never had Thailand produced so many cars." He wasn't alone.

All of the local manufacturers i.e. the Japanese, ramped up production and were delighted at the time. No one forced the manufacturers to manufacture all those vehicles. They could have delayed production, but they wanted and needed the production at the time.

If the aforementioned is insider info, then you should tell they readers of multiple business journals they are privy to special secret info.

I'm not grabbing at straws, but the blind hatred of many on this thread speaks volumes. Don't be angry at me if you don't want to acknowledge the facts.

There is a new car dealership being built not far from me here in Hang Dong. On the lot next to the dealership there sit well over a 1000 used car of all types. I am thinking that the owner of the dealership must have gotten a good deal on repos. As many as he has he might have to sell them at a huge discount. Fire Sale

• Like 1

And don't forget :

Posted Today, 06:38

More funding considered for student-loan scheme
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Finance Ministry is considering granting more money to fund the student-loan scheme, having received budgetary approval to do this, caretaker Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang said yesterday.

Bt2.12 billion had been approved for 112,500 students eligible to obtain loans in the coming semester, while another Bt3.1-billion loan was being sought for a further 234,000 students.

Chaturon said the money could be allocated from the central budget, if not from other sources.

He said the process should be finalised as quickly as possible after the end of the Songkran holiday break.

The Student Loans Commission will in the meantime ask students who took out loans to repay their debts.

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k-Kc5cy-DD.
-- The Nation 2014-04-12

Only another 3.1 billion.

Edited by Robby nz

Go away and drown in Sonkran. Don't you ever learn? You must be very very poorly educated or you are a relative of fat boy in North Korea. I would really love to meet you ANYWHERE as I am rich and can afford to travel. I would really love to show you a thing or two about your sprouting off at everything to support this crooked regime and I will be alone, just you and me discussing the virtues of how to solve the ills of this world over a nice gin and tonic.

that way I could really see the ideologies first hand and maybe understand you more because here, i like so many others, have no idea what planet you are coming from.

"Go away and drown in Sonkran"

LOL

Sincerely, that is funny and creative

Now I am convinced you are from somewhere like North Korea! "In western democracies, Opposition noise is taken "with a grain of salt".....If the populace got fired up everytime the Opposition opposed something" Well in the West that is how OPPOSITIONS BECOME THE GOVERNMENT... DOH!

And that is how things are challenged and changed to BETTER the country as a whole. DOH!! I still want to meet you...... Good for me maybe not for youthumbsup.gif

Surprise, surprise...I agree with you!

That is absolutely how the Opposition in the West becomes the Government...and all the power to them.

There is no reason that shouldn't be happening in Thailand.

Everyone is served by competitive elections and a balance of power in parliament.

What should be happening to achieve that goal?......Two things:

1. The Lumpini crowd, the DP and all its' appendages should be contemplating one thing...How do we reform ourselves to become electorally competitive.......Forget about blaming everyone else and the system for your electoral futility......Their mantra ought to be ......"reform ourselves before the election.
  2. Quit obstructing elections, get your ass into Parliament, commit yourself to Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy and adapt yourself to function effectively within it.

Just wondering since elected, what if anything has this gov got right?

Sent from my LG-P970

Well, they dissolved themselves. It took 'em awhile, but parliament eventually got that right. The election was voided. They got that right, too (although the caretaker govt can't really claim much of the credit for that). The amnesty bill may yet eventually come back to life, but for the time-being, that's OK, too.

As for anything else, no, it's pretty much a head-scratcher and a daed good question.

'Last one out turn off the lights' comes to mind, and the pt / udd mob though it would be that easy (meaning they thought they could easily / totally fool everybody).

As is turns out not quite that easy. Or to put it another way, a lot more people were watching their games and understanding the foul smell / the immorality of their games,than they ever expected, and they reacted .

Edited by scorecard