going to Samet for 5 days

kingstonkid

Ploy Talay at Sai Kaew beach has a big disco for dancing. Dinner there on the beach is good too.

I hope you are ready to party hard- Samed is going to be a zoo for the next 5 days of Songkran.

Edited by bino
  • Like 1

To be honest you are going to get all kinds of answers here with the lack of info. You are saying dinner like it is suit and tie job and then want to go dancing. Ploy bar is the main place to go but it is noisy and full. If you like fire shows, live music and a dance after this then go there. If you want peace and tranquility go to one of the resorts in one of the coves.

To be honest you are going to get all kinds of answers here with the lack of info. You are saying dinner like it is suit and tie job and then want to go dancing. Ploy bar is the main place to go but it is noisy and full. If you like fire shows, live music and a dance after this then go there. If you want peace and tranquility go to one of the resorts in one of the coves.

Agreed, if you want a quiet dinner in a bay full of candle lit dinner tables then go to Wong Duen although in the daytime it's busy full of day tourists from Pattaya (mostly Russians). Later you can then get a songthaew to white sand and ploy and later on to silver sand but as it's a full moon silver sand will be a gay full moon party ( no hassles even then). The further South you go the quieter it gets. If you get fed up of the island then Rayong city has some classy night life and you can make an arrangement with one of the taxi drivers outside of the 7/11 in Ban Phe opposite the pier to take you there and wait for you, the guy on nights is usually someone named Lek and completely trustworthy ( as are most of the guys on the taxi rank). It has been busier than it has been for 3 years at the moment so Koh Samet will be absolutely full so if you haven't booked a room you might be stuck although as it's a national park you can camp (don't know if it applies to foreigners as well though). Hope you have a good time!!

We went there to avoid songkran last year and succeeded . It rained every day.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Wrong place to go to avoid Songkran lol. It is the driest part of Thailand and I live on the mainland, can't remember much rain last year and Songkran day itself (16th in Ban Phe) was baking hot - not that I went far as the drunken drivers scare me.

Agreed, if you want a quiet dinner in a bay full of candle lit dinner tables then go to Wong Duen although in the daytime it's busy full of day tourists from Pattaya (mostly Russians). Later you can then get a songthaew to white sand and ploy and later on to silver sand but as it's a full moon silver sand will be a gay full moon party ( no hassles even then). The further South you go the quieter it gets. If you get fed up of the island then Rayong city has some classy night life and you can make an arrangement with one of the taxi drivers outside of the 7/11 in Ban Phe opposite the pier to take you there and wait for you, the guy on nights is usually someone named Lek and completely trustworthy ( as are most of the guys on the taxi rank). It has been busier than it has been for 3 years at the moment so Koh Samet will be absolutely full so if you haven't booked a room you might be stuck although as it's a national park you can camp (don't know if it applies to foreigners as well though). Hope you have a good time!!

I agree it is busy on the holidays. I went new years and it was full, the glass was full and i ended up full. I went Tuesday just gone for 2 nights and was told it was again full over the holiday weekend just gone. However it emptied as fast is it filled the day i arrived, As for the businesses. The accommodation is steady. The bars are taking average income. European restaurants are struggling with reports of income down 30% on previous years. This is the trend we are seeing everywhere now. Most of the people are Thai tourist plus eastern European tourists on budget incomes using cheap fast food outlets. Ploy bar was full mainly Thai, plus Chinese and Koreans with a scattering of westerners. The guy on the microphone speaks in many languages and translated into English he asks the same thing "put your hands up if you are from England etc etc". The Russian response came from one table of approx 7 people. The bar staff where all available to take your drinks order and did not look busy apart from the Thai food side of things. However walking back to the room the beach had small groups drinking 7/11 take aways and i noticed these where all Russian.

Just in case nobody mentions it, don't fail to take the easy trail to the other side of the island to "SUNSET POINT"....a very different, rocky coastline and beautiful views.

Reminded me of the coast of Maine in the USA.