Blood sugar monitor calibration

rch1023

My wife and I recently visited the hospital for our quarterly check-up: this included blood tests.

While we were waiting for our notes, a nurse appeared. They were seriously worried about my wife's blood glucose level - it was very low. (This is a government hospital, and they do things properly here!)

There was nothing to worry about, but we asked them to write down the Thai description of a blood sugar monitor.

I took this to our local pharmacy, who sold us a meter. When I got home, and was setting it up, I found I needed some control solution for initial calibration. The following day, I asked the pharmacist for some, but it was not in stock. She promised to contact the suppliers and let me know. A few days ago, I went to see what was going on, and she told me there was none to be had in Thailand! After half an hour of hassle, I got my money back.

Today, I found a branch of Boots the Chemist. They had two models of ACCU-X, with control solution and so on in a display cabinet, and models on the shelves. I bought a cheap model, and was looking through the instructions while they dealt with the registration card. It needed control solution for initial calibration! I asked for some. Nothing on the shelves, so one of the girls phoned a well-spoken advisor who told me the shops had the solution, but not for sale. I asked her to have the shop calibrate the device for me, but she said the solution in the shop might have expired.

She also said noone had ever asked for this before!

She promised to contact the suppliers, and make sure some up-to-date solution was available, and to contact me when this was so.

Again, I got my money back

Apparently there are many in Thailand who are not aware of the need to recalibrate their meters for every new pack of test strips. Without this, their tests are meaningless.

This is important.

- Roger -

• Like 1

I don't know the accu-x but normally the Roche brand accu check is quite widely used and sold with self calibrate stick on each box of the trip test. Pay a bit more and get decent one. I do believe They have guarantee for the glucometer machine itself that you can change it anytime if problem occurs (as the strip is bl**dy expensive)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As said there is no need for solutions unless it is suspected that meter may not be operating properly as the test strips have the required settings either as a key in or special attachment for each container and you can take unit with you to hospital to check when they do a test. The solution is only a known reference so unless you are running a lab it is not a requirement for home use. Just use the strips made for the unit - set correctly - and before expiration date. And if it seems reading are wrong then is the time to double check with a lab test or compare with another known meter at hospital. Just finding meters and test strips is a big enough issue here - no need to make it harder.

I have never bought a test meter in Thailand that does not have the control test solution in the pack. Buy a decent meter.

Quite frankly I wouldn't get too worked up about it.Meters these days leave the factory well calibrated and I have never seen any significant errors when using the check solutions. Its not a big deal. You Will still get a pretty good infication of the sugar levels. Thats why not many people worry too much about it as there's so many other factors that can affect blood sugars hour by hour. A slightly inaccurate meter is the least of your problems.

(I've been checking my sugar levels for over 30 years.)

I've run into this same problem with the ACCU-X meters, which are widely sold here. Both the pharmacist and doctor said the same thing as lopburi3 -- simply bring the new meter along and run a test in the doctor's office at the same time the technician is checking with their equipment. Be sure to use strips before their expiration date.

Lets face it - the makers would love to sell you solution that expires to needlessly use up there expensive test strips. Money in there pocket and many of us will believe that is the way to be sure; for sure. There are not enough Thai using meters to justify there advising this 'feature' so no demand here (yet).

I have now bought an ACCU-CHEK Active from Boots. They were very swift to get up-to-date control solutions to that branch, and to let me know.

The staff today calibrated the device for me, and I was shown the relevant expiry dates and codes and so on.

I compliment them on their service.

As to whether calibration is necessary, it says so in the manual, and why ignore this when it is a matter of health?

- Roger -

I have now bought an ACCU-CHEK Active from Boots. They were very swift to get up-to-date control solutions to that branch, and to let me know.

The staff today calibrated the device for me, and I was shown the relevant expiry dates and codes and so on.

I compliment them on their service.

As to whether calibration is necessary, it says so in the manual, and why ignore this when it is a matter of health?

- Roger -

Roger, was the machine's calibration OK out of the box or was it a good thing that the Boots branch brought in the calibration fluid?

I remember watching my Dad use his ACCU-X machine back in the U.S. He had calibration fluid and always recalibrated before starting a new box of strips. Once I asked him what he does when the calibration of the new box of strips wasn't correct and he said "dunno. It's always been OK."

That's one reason I didn't push the issue too much when I was helping someone here get set up to test with a new ACCU-X machine, especially since we were able to run tests with the new machine at the same time the doctor was checking in her office.

Edited by NancyL