What do Thais think about when they wai, pray, kneel, or worship.

infinity11

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once got talking to a Thai girl who had been kneeling and praying at the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok. Was curious as to what her wish was and it turned out she had been praying to win the lottery. So there you go.

Certainly the main reason for many.

As a Thai i feel entitled to answer this.

Wai is simply a way to show respect . I feel good when doing this and even when recieving it.

Pray - not what i do very often . When i am feeling so down i may pray for problems to go away.

Kneel - the only occasion i do this these day and age is when i visit the temple. Again It is a way to pay respect .

Worship- this sounds very negative to me. I don't do worship .

Meditation is a practice to clear your though and your mind. It helps you being focused .

Edited by blunty111
  • Like 1

I once got talking to a Thai girl who had been kneeling and praying at the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok. Was curious as to what her wish was and it turned out she had been praying to win the lottery. So there you go.

Certainly the main reason for many.

I would say that the lottery/money thing would probably get the most votes. My missus is a pretty devout "Thai" buddhist and that is what she prays for many times (but not all the time). Being an atheist myself I have often envied people who have a belief in something that promises better times next time around but I guess I will just have to enjoy the one chance I have got now. At one stage I thought that maybe Buddhism had something going for it but, like all religions, it is just used as an excuse for a small number of people to set ridiculous rules for everyone else who is trying to enjoy what little time they have on earth. Maybe Buddhism is not a religion in the true sense of the word but try and tell that to all the Buddhists in the world.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You must have found somebody elses bible...not mine.

But I am leaving Thailand...to go meditate somewhere else.

• Psalm 48:9 - "Within your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love."
  • Psalm 77:12 - "I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds."
  • Psalm 119:15 - "I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways."
  • Psalm 119:97 - "Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long."
  • Psalm 143:5 - "I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done."

I like to replace meditate with 'pee'.
The Bible will be remembered long after your demise...I can help you with that...!

I like your tough guy streak.....I imagine you like it too.

I pray for a happy and peaceful life for those close to me.

What do you pray for?

Why do you think that Thais would pray for anything different?

SC

Let me tell you that you are a wonderful soul, SC, and i hope that " those close to you " includes all the living beings of this planet..Or ..The solar system is too much to ask ?

Just saying eh wai.gif

• Like 2

Food and money. The same things they think about when they are not praying.

and sex?

of course, all these things connected for Thai :)

eat food before sex or

get money before sex or

need money for food or

have money so eat food or

eat food after sex or

after sex ask money or

just ask money for sex to spend on food....?

some of the posts here are truly sad, for the revealed poster.

thai people, are people, they are constructed of all of the same things as people over the globe, (save the eyelashes)

they are some of the kindest people perhaps due to their humble origins, 2 hour rides on the school bus as kids, not enough food,

no American or Brit or Australian, or Norwegian, or wherevr the majority of posters comes from, knows such poverty in their life, as I wager, all here were at least in middle class surroundings and had a regular education,

surely, we also know MANY that dropped out pregnant in 11th grade, and some in the poorer areas, 8th grade,

my own brother dropped out in 9th grade, BFD, he was interested in car mechanics, and became one ultimately elevating himself into a decent business doing what he loves.

the only thing I see that difers from Thais and Americans, are BOOKS

In the time I spent in BKK, I used the MRT quite a bit, until I moved out of the city,

All I saw were cell phones in hand, people scrolling incessantly,

no one reading a newspaper, not a book in hand, even the school kids, books in the bags,

I believe therein lies the problem with the Thai people, they have not been shown that reading is a fundamental requirement to sociological elevation.

You want to help a Thai family?

Encourage reading

Edited by Scarpolo

the only thing I see that diferws from Thais and Americans, are BOOKS

They love books with cartoons and photos in them.

Encourage reading

As well as THINKING, PROBLEM SOLVING, and using COMMON SENSE.

• Like 1

Every Thai I've ever personally known only prays when they want something good to come to them or someone they know. I've known Thais from every walk of life here, and not one of them (I've asked) has ever gone to tambon for any other reason.

I haven't a clue why they call Thailand a Buddhist country, because it is anything but. Their perverse version of Buddhism is exactly that, perverse. Even their monks are attracted to material items (and money), which goes against the very nature of what they are doing in the first place.

That said, you could say the same about a lot of other religions too. It seems everyone is missing the point these days, it's just the Thais are so off base it's disturbing.

Depends on which monastic tradition you are talking about. Some can't even handle money. It is like priests. There are some good ones and some bad ones. Most Christians act like pagans adoring statues instead of realizing what they are there for. Most people look at the Vatican and say pretty; some look at it and say boy oh boy have you folks lost the plot. Why don't you give the money to the poor. So I do agree with part of your post.

I know this is a good old fashioned Thai bash and why am I bringing up reality ya ya ya........

Edited by thailiketoo

the only thing I see that diferws from Thais and Americans, are BOOKS

They love books with cartoons and photos in them.

Encourage reading

As well as THINKING, PROBLEM SOLVING, and using COMMON SENSE.

Do they sell many fireplaces in Thailand? Why there is a book store in every mall? Is there a fireplace store in every mall? Try a little thinking, problem solving and common sense and give me the answer.

Nonsense. Buddhism does not have a higher power. It is a sign of respect.

So everyone does it to everyone right? EVERYONE

Does what to everyone? Wai. Then yes of course. The neighbors teach their kids to wai me. They don't teach their kids to wai the dog. Respect people? I guess so. Why would you find that odd?

Does what to everyone? Wai. Then yes of course. The neighbors teach their kids to wai me. They don't teach their kids to wai the dog. Respect people? I guess so. Why would you find that odd?

not everyonen speaks thai,

whats wai?

Let me go find a crowbar. Does everyone wai everyone? all... regardless of stature?

Let me go find a crowbar. Does everyone wai everyone? all... regardless of stature?

if Wai, is the praying and bowing motion, I was told it is for the young to do in respect for the elder, and not to do it back to anyone younger than me

if Wai, is the praying and bowing motion, I was told it is for the young to do in respect for the elder, and not to do it back to anyone younger than me

Indeed, have you ever seen it with older people doing it to younger people such as YL?