Final Pages and your Non-O Visa

My US Passport is valid through 2018 and is maxed out on additional pages (3x).

I just turned 50 and successfully converted my Tourist Visa to Non-O for the purpose of extension of stay based on retirement.

My Non-O is valid for 90 days. The Immigration Officer kindly told me to return near the end of the term for the 1 year extension.

Now the tricky bit. I have only two (2) pages remaining in my Passport. The last time I added pages the embassy said, not again.

So... I'm wondering what's the best way forward? Anyone? Bueller?

Do I renew my passport? Apply for a new passport? Or keep using this one until I get the 1 year extension completed?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

The two pages is sufficient for the extension. However with such a limited amount of space in the pp it would seem prudent to obtain a new passport ASAP.

Whichever you will need to present both passports to immigration for the details of the visa and extension to be entered in the new passport.

Many thanks guys. I was getting stuck at the renew passport or get a new passport point. Is there a difference?

Either way... I guess I'll save some time at immigration since they won't be thumbing through 90+ pages of ink.

It can be called renewing a passport also. I just call it getting a new passport because you do get a new passport. There is no difference in the procedure to get it either way.

Only if it was a first time passport or a lost/stolen one would there be a difference.

You will get a new passport and it will have a different PP number on it. You shouldn't have any prolem with immigratio showing both passports and the letter that you receive from the Embassy, but you'll have to change everything that is tired to the old passport number, bank accounts, etc.

"... but you'll have to change everything that is tired to the old passport number, bank accounts, etc."

Hmmmm, I've never changed anything when getting a new passport, three times now (note, one was a replacement for a lost PPT). Seems like the bank(s) don't much care.

Happily on my Thai driving license they used my Yellow tambien ban number.

Mac

Just renewed my passport at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai. Cost $110.00. 6 day turn around.clap2.gif They say 2 weeks but average is 6 days as I found out. They also supply you with a letter for immigration automatically stating that this is a new passport.

Edited by khwaibah

Hmm... Chiang Mai or Bangkok??? Both are a haul but good to know there are options.

Personally I do all I can to avoid Bangkok BK for me 400 km CNX 880 km. That should tell you what I'll do to avoid BK. I also find that the US Consulate in CNX is far more responsive and positive.

Just renewed my passport at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai. Cost $110.00. 6 day turn around.clap2.gif They say 2 weeks but average is 6 days as I found out. They also supply you with a letter for immigration automatically stating that this is a new passport.

. I paid $140 or $150.00 to get more pages, it used to be FREE the Bastards, so cheaper in Thailand. ???

Hmm... Chiang Mai or Bangkok??? Both are a haul but good to know there are options.

Personally I do all I can to avoid Bangkok BK for me 400 km CNX 880 km. That should tell you what I'll do to avoid BK. I also find that the US Consulate in CNX is far more responsive and positive.

I have never had a problem with the embassy in Bangkok. I was there this week for an income affidavit. In and out in about 15 minutes. Don't like Bangkok either but normally it is only for a day. I have made day trips by air. Down in the morning and back early evening.

The problem with the consulate in CM is that they are only open for appointments 2 days a week.

I may be incorrect, but I believe you can pay to add pages to your passport.... maybe just wait to have it done? Check their website. I'm an American here for 10 years and have never had any problem or delay at the BKK U.S. Embassy. Bangkok city sucks, but it is down in the morning and back in the afternoon.

I may be incorrect, but I believe you can pay to add pages to your passport.... maybe just wait to have it done? Check their website. I'm an American here for 10 years and have never had any problem or delay at the BKK U.S. Embassy. Bangkok city sucks, but it is down in the morning and back in the afternoon.

OP has already has had pages added to their passport 3 times. That is the maximum number of times they will do it.

Pages cost $82 a new passport is $110.;

"... but you'll have to change everything that is tired to the old passport number, bank accounts, etc."

Hmmmm, I've never changed anything when getting a new passport, three times now (note, one was a replacement for a lost PPT). Seems like the bank(s) don't much care.

Mac

Try withdrawing money from your account in the bank, a copy of your passport is required. The PP number is encoded on the signature page and if it doesn't match, guess what, no cash. It's was just meant as a heads up. Those of us that draw US SSA payments and have then directly deposited in Bangkok Bank have to show up in person and withdraw the money, no ATM and no internet!

Mac

Try withdrawing money from your account in the bank, a copy of your passport is required. The PP number is encoded on the signature page and if it doesn't match, guess what, no cash. It's was just meant as a heads up. Those of us that draw US SSA payments and have then directly deposited in Bangkok Bank have to show up in person and withdraw the money, no ATM and no internet!

I have had problem withdrawing money from my Bangkok bank direct deposit account without changing passport numbers.on my account. I got my passport last July and just changed my passport number for the account this week while I was in Pattaya so I could get new book.

Bangkok bank account books do not have the passport numbers on them. Just the signature that shows up under a black light.

. I paid $140 or $150.00 to get more pages, it used to be FREE the Bastards, so cheaper in Thailand. ???

Has not been free for a few years. 82 usd for pages and can only do 3 times. New passport 110 usd.

If you paid to get the pages in hurry $142 would be about correct. That's $82 for the pages and $60 for expedited service.

Here you can go to the embassy and get them in about an hour for $82.

Even getting the passport back in 2 weeks or less is a good deal. To get it that fast in the states it would cost $60 extra for expedited service..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mac

But it's also true that if you go into your bank and tell them the situation (show them the old & new passports and any ancillary documents) they will quickly update their records and no problems at all.

Why do we make things so difficult unnecessarily?

Always move forward rather than try to stay locked in a possible problem.

Ok so here's the big question... and again, thanks for the thoughts.

Is it possible to apply for a new passport and request they expedite the process?

Although I realize there are plenty of things to do in BKK... ;-)

10 days of waiting could be costly to say the least. =)

Is it possible to apply for a new passport and request they expedite the process?

You will still have your old passport. They don't keep it. You cam still do want ever you want to do. Also you they will keep the new one for 90 days so there is no rush to pick it up either.

You will still have your old passport. They don't keep it. You cam still do want ever you want to do. Also you they waill keep the new one for 90 days so there is no rush to pick it up either.

This is not panic mode. You have time but you need to get this done. You say you have a single entry O visa, that's good for 90 day. You need to go online and make an appointment the embassy and consulate reopens April 17. Beware that the waiting time can be 14 days but as UJ says normal is 10 days for BK and as I said its 6 days in CNX. Make an appointment.

Edited by khwaibah

Mac

I have had problem withdrawing money from my Bangkok bank direct deposit account without changing passport numbers.on my account. I got my passport last July and just changed my passport number for the account this week while I was in Pattaya so I could get new book.

Bangkok bank account books do not have the passport numbers on them. Just the signature that shows up under a black light.

The tellers that you used must not have checked the number and discovered the different number.

The first time I went to the bank after I changed my passpport to withdraw my SSA funds the teller checked my passport munber against the one on record and it did not match. She told me that she couldn't allow me to withdraw any funds until I went into the bank where I had my account and had the number changed on my bank book. Luckily I had the old passport with me and was allowed to proceed with the transaction.

I went into the issuing branch to change it and it took the clerk three times to get it right and had to get a new bank book each time. I asked why and she said the the PP number was on the signature page along with the signature! I don't have a black light and am not going to buy one so I don't know exactly what shows up on the signature page. Have you ever, personally, looked at your bank book under a black light to see what is encoded or is this just another tidbit from the vast amount of knowledge that you seem to have about anything and everything?

If you have the cancelled passport with the old number in it there shouldn't be a problem, but the only place that you can change the number is the issuing bank as a new bank book is required.

Like I said, it was just a heads up, but if you change your passport, your bank account is in Bangkok and you go to CM and try to withdraw funds and haven't changed the number on your account don't be surprised if you can't get any money. I wouldn't take the chance and wait to see who is right.

Edited by wayned

ubonjoe: When you changed your passport number at the bank did you get a new bank book? I did, actully 4 before they got it right. If the PP number is not encoded on the bank book and the number is only changed in the computer tjen why the new bank book since nothing on it has changed? If I had done the transaction at my own branch they never would have caugjt it as they know me and I always copy the passport and staple it to the withdrawl slip. But in a strange beanch, one at a Tesco on a Saturday, they checked and I would have been SOL if I didn't have the old book in my bag.

Edited by wayned

ubonjoe: When you changed your passport number at the bank did you get a new bank book? I did, actully 4 before they got it right. If the PP number is not encoded on the bank book and the number is only changed in the computer tjen why the new bank book since nothing on it has changed? If I had done the transaction at my own branch they never would have caugjt it as they know me and I always copy the passport and staple it to the withdrawl slip. But in a strange beanch, one at a Tesco on a Saturday, they checked and I would have been SOL if I didn't have the old book in my bag.

The main reason I went to the bank in Pattaya was for the new book because the old one was getting full.. The new passport number was secondary.

I have seen what is on my bank books (3 total) when they put them under the light and there is nothing there but my signature.

Don't know your location, but there is a US Embassy outreach next Wednesday (23) 8-12 in Udon Thani. Don't need an appointment. They can take your application and for a small fee EMS the old and new to your address. Hint, prepare the form before going and go early. If you need more info, PM me.

Edited by lockman

You will still have your old passport. They don't keep it. You cam still do want ever you want to do. Also you they will keep the new one for 90 days so there is no rush to pick it up either.

I renewed my passport a year and half ago using the Khon Kaen outreach program. I asked for the EMS option to post me the new passport. They did keep my old passport which was returned via EMS with the new passport, about 10 days later. So indeed I was without a passport for that short period, but wasn't a big deal for me. I am guessing that if I had chosen to pick up the new passport in Bangkok, that I could have kept the old passport. The old passport was returned with the standard holes punched in it to invalidate it.

I renewed my passport a year and half ago using the Khon Kaen outreach program. I asked for the EMS option to post me the new passport. They did keep my old passport which was returned via EMS with the new passport, about 10 days later. So indeed I was without a passport for that short period, but wasn't a big deal for me. I am guessing that if I had chosen to pick up the new passport in Bangkok, that I could have kept the old passport. The old passport was returned with the standard holes punched in it to invalidate it.

That is different from applying at the embassy. They keep your passport to take it to the embassy for it to be scanned as part of the application process. I would guess that if you wanted your old one back before you got the new passport you could pay for another EMS envelope for it to be sent to you.

If you apply at the embassy they give you back your passport. Then when you pickup your new one they will stamp and punch holes in the cover of the old one. If you choose to have them EMS the new passport to you they will send instructions with it on how to invalidate your old passport by punching the holes yourself.

The reason that the outreach program keeps your passport is that it has to be scanned in and included with the new passport application. When you go to the Embassy in BKK they do it while you wait, but the outreach program does not have the capability so they keep your passport. Make a copy of your passport for identification if you are using the outreach program.