TRUE Internet is absolutely the worst ISP, so what's else in BK, was thinking 3BB?

Doesn't matter how much I 'change/pay more' my policy, I get .03-5 k per sec during the day & only between 3am & 6 am, I'll get 1mb or so. A 1980's 9660 modem would do better. In Bangkok, is there ANY suitable personal business ISP out there?? To International Servers that is.

Told that to True & they cut my device access by twice & reduced bandwidth of the same & than just laughed. Can't think there is a more despicable or racist business then TRUE. To disconnect/Change is 2000 baht.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If you live in farang crowded area, you should hope for the worst. True works great for most of the people except the ones living in Sukhumvit area (I think).

Try others without agreeing on a 1 year contract (3BB asks 1 year contract from farangs). Avoid TOT. Whats left in your area? Not much I guess.

• Like 1

I had 3bb adsl before 16 mb down 1mb up.. great.. now got 3bb fiber optic 30mb down 3mb up.. so far good.. but a crap modem.

I live a bit north of BKK nothaburi.. and I never expected that they would get fiber optics so fast here.

I've had CAT "On-Net" fiber optic 20 / 3 Mbps since November 2013 for 1,500 baht a month.

OOKLA speed test today: Thailand 23.37 / 3.15 Mbps, USA (LA) 18.94 / 3.01 Mbps.

CAT controls the internet gateway so hopefully should work as good as anything in Thailand.

Problems: (1) Internet drops out for a few minutes almost every day. My Windows 7 PC diagnostics say it's a CAT DNS server error. CAT have been unable to fix the problem despite numerous complaints. (2) Huawei modem supplied by CAT (included with the 1,500 monthly charge) is not top quality - the wi-fi range from the small antennae is not so good, so I got CAT techs to link the Huawei to my Asus ADSL modem which has much better wi-fi coverage.

I live on Ekamai Road, Bangkok (Sukhumvit 63).

I also have TRUE in Bangkok and it is pretty bad most of the time. Sometimes I get the full 10Mb bandwidth but a lot of the time the speed is severely reduced and I cannot open YouTube or any other international servers. I spoke to the hotline and they changed my DNS servers for my modem but it hasn't improved much. I've read a few times that it's because TRUE do not purchase more international bandwidth despite have far more customers using their service, I don't expect this to change any time soon either. What I really want to use the internet for is online gaming but the international ping, which is already too high, is made far worse by TRUE's infrastructure.

The best internet I've had so far in terms of speed and ping latency was TOT when we lived in a remote village outside of Ubon where I was getting full 10Mb speed and low ping times whenever it was working, however I had a ridiculous problem where EVERY NIGHT for over a year the internet would die at about 8pm and then come back on again at 7am or 8am. I complained to TOT dozens of times, maybe even hundreds, and they promised they would fix it each time but nothing ever happened and by the end I deduced that they have the worst and most pathetic customer service I've ever experienced and my problem would never be solved. So after trying everything I could and trying to find just one person in TOT who would take on my problem to find a solution we just stopped paying them and cut the internet off. TRUE may be bad but they do not infuriate me with their incompetence and bare faced lies like everyone in TOT did every day.

Edited by KunMatt
  • Like 1

While on this subject please include info re: same subject but in Chiang Mai. I have 3BB's and my internet goes out many times a day and much more often during international programs. TRUE cable went out guy fixed it and in three days back to same problem. Anyone with experience with AIS?

Thanks.

While on this subject please include info re: same subject but in Chiang Mai. I have 3BB's and my internet goes out many times a day and much more often during international programs. TRUE cable went out guy fixed it and in three days back to same problem. Anyone with experience with AIS?

Thanks.

From October 2013 to April 2014 I used AIS on Koh Samui. Horrible service, incompetent customer service and screwy billing. Every time I would go to the local office I would get a different story. Finally switched to TRUE Online. 499 baht a month for 15 MBPS. Works great so far.

I've had CAT "On-Net" fiber optic 20 / 3 Mbps since November 2013 for 1,500 baht a month.

OOKLA speed test today: Thailand 23.37 / 3.15 Mbps, USA (LA) 18.94 / 3.01 Mbps.

CAT controls the internet gateway so hopefully should work as good as anything in Thailand.

Problems: (1) Internet drops out for a few minutes almost every day. My Windows 7 PC diagnostics say it's a CAT DNS server error. CAT have been unable to fix the problem despite numerous complaints. (2) Huawei modem supplied by CAT (included with the 1,500 monthly charge) is not top quality - the wi-fi range from the small antennae is not so good, so I got CAT techs to link the Huawei to my Asus ADSL modem which has much better wi-fi coverage.

I live on Ekamai Road, Bangkok (Sukhumvit 63).

I'm seeing these DNS errors as well on my True online service. Really pissing me off... when it is not working I can ping an IP address but not a name. I've tried changing over to googles, as well as other name servers and it only gets worse.

Kurt

I've used True for many years. I have the basic package B599 including 1 x free True visions satellite connection for my children's TV with all the free channels. I have had speed problems in the past but the True technicians come out promptly and usually find it is the Router. I have a bin full of TP-Link Routers that were guaranteed for life but don't last a year without giving problems. The last time True replaced the telephone line outside the house and the problem appeared cured, but then came back later. It turned out that yet another poxey TP Link Router had gone faulty. I therefore bought a Belkin N1 Dual Band Wireless Router and have had no problems ever since. The Router is often running 4 computers (1 via wireless) and also up to 3 mobile phones via wireless connections. Downloads are normally fast and sometimes ultra fast depending on the site you are downloading from. My children watch TV and Movies directly using live streaming with no hic ups.

I am getting 10.17mbps as per the contract.

Download Speed: 10170 kbps (1271.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 986 kbps (123.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 35 ms
‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2014‎ ‎12‎:‎57‎:‎36

• Like 1

I'm on lower Sukhumvit. My true dotsis at 640 bt per month including tax is great. I didn't have to pay anything in advance. I've got the 10mb mb/sec download package and speednet shows Im almost always getting 10-15 mb/sec. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I also have TRUE internet and to be honest I get a decent speed. Usually it is in the range of 300 to 500 kbps but at times it has exceeded 1000 kbps.

The speeds you are referring to would indicate you are not actually connected to the internet at all. Is your firewall configured to allow internet access? If not that could well be the trouble

Pii Kate and others: We've been on CAT fiber optic since July 2011. The "promoter" promised not more than 10 homes and no businesses would join our "line." Great speed for 4 month but the system started and has kept going down! Just imagine how happy we are to pay a whopping 2,675 THB each month for this special service!!clap2.gifwhistling.gif

CAT internet still goes down at least once to a few times every day for minutes to hours, but even worse, in July 1012, after a year, the speed slowed to near stop. I've asked but as recently as last month CAT will not tell me how many homes and businesses are now on our "dedicated" fiber optic line.

We chose CAT for all the "good" reasons mentioned, and we have kept looking for a better service (even a VPN, a topic in another post). I have no good choice for myself or a good recommendation for others.

My personal opinion is that the techies all over Thailand (domestic and international visitors alike) have lots of acronyms and synonyms to toss about but no one, absolutely no one, has any idea how to fix a rotten system other then tossing it all and starting over.. But then, this is Thailand were folks don't even fix a broken mixer or vacuum or... make repairs or even improvements to a home... they just do without or buy a new one.f

Happy that the internet is no longer a monopoly, but as we are here for the long haul, we must learn to be more Thai (meaning be more patient), but unlike our hosts, I will not to smile at your distress to "make you feel less unhappy (deep sigh.....). But perhaps we could all just pray there is no Civil War and wait for improvements to come.

mmm...must be your area of Bangkok or something. I use TRUE and it is the best service I have had in Thailand. In the 6 months or so I have had it, there was only one afternoon when service went out and reps came out to talk to us all (they walked around the neighborhood) and let us know generally when the connection would be back. It was all back up before dinner time.

Tot was the worst for me. The times I have used 3BB, it was also pretty good.

I had absolute nightmares with CAT. Service would go down for days at a time. CAT would do some checks from their office and reply to contact my condo engineers as it was an internal condo problem. condo engineers would do a check and it would usually be resolved. Sometimes they would call cat engineers to come out.

The last time I was off service for 2 weeks and I was passed from cat to condo to cat and so on. Each one refusing to take responsibility.

At the end of the day I was paying cat so I cancelled. Even my cancellation was refused! I had to go to the agent I took out the cat contract with. He cancelled it. Next month I receive another full price bill. I call cat, they have no idea. I go to cat office in Times Square and cancel. The following month I get another full price bill. I go back to cat office and finally get it cancelled with refund to date of agent cancelling.

I will never again touch the cat cowboys. I have no problems with true docsis as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I had absolute nightmares with CAT. Service would go down for days at a time. CAT would do some checks from their office and reply to contact my condo engineers as it was an internal condo problem. condo engineers would do a check and it would usually be resolved. Sometimes they would call cat engineers to come out.

The last time I was off service for 2 weeks and I was passed from cat to condo to cat and so on. Each one refusing to take responsibility.

At the end of the day I was paying cat so I cancelled. Even my cancellation was refused! I had to go to the agent I took out the cat contract with. He cancelled it. Next month I receive another full price bill. I call cat, they have no idea. I go to cat office in Times Square and cancel. The following month I get another full price bill. I go back to cat office and finally get it cancelled with refund to date of agent cancelling.

I will never again touch the cat cowboys. I have no problems with true docsis as mentioned earlier in this thread.

The problem guru experienced is a general problem. I live part of the year in my home Country New Zealand and I pay $US100 approx. every month for telephone and Internet.

Yes that's crazy, The system here in New Zealand is still fragile, but if something goes wrong, you have to go live in a cave for a long time before they get around to you.

When I am in Thailand hotels [ maybe nearly 30,000 baht per month, that's say $US850 ] and I pay no electricity or phone or internet.

If things drop out, you know I just switch hotels.

But by not paying directly for internet, and electricity my real costs of hotel accommodation therefore drop substantially.

I tell hotel owners if your Internet and phone works you have me. If it doesn't I am going.

As for Internet Companies refusing to cancel subscription, Guru, it is a world wide greed corporate phenomenum, and a disgrace

About Internet providers with contracts, I like to invent different names for their dirty sign up programs .

My service with True is generally good (let's say 95% of the time) but when it's bad it's very bad. I had possibly the most amazing customer service experience with True: when I called to ask how long the internet would be down for (after a couple of days of no service) the lady asked me "do you have another means of connecting to the internet?". I replied "yes my phone has a Dtac connection". She said "well then there's no problem you can connect to the internet that way" and then she hung up.

I have never had a better example of T.I.T. in all my life. Cheeky c*nts.

No matter what ISP it is ... and in any country ... all internet service has problem now and then ... although, indeed, some companies are much worse than others. It's the nature of the beast.

Same is true of True. However, my True service at my BKK apartment (Suk. Soi 10) is consistently very good. Also, I've never seen any signs of racism from True.

Edited by HerbalEd

Well aren't you the lucky one, my True internet is so bad, have to switch all my devices to 3G so I can browse without having to wait 10-20 seconds per loading times. I complained, the next day, they sent a couple of their monkeys over & as monkeys do, they stood around acting busy with the modem...if I threw a banana at them, they probably pick it up & sniff it a few times with that puzzled look in their eyes. Once finished & gone, that night, my access was reduced by half. Have to call again tomorrow & this time literally refer their technicians as "monkeys", at least as a slip.

Well aren't you the lucky one, my True internet is so bad, have to switch all my devices to 3G so I can browse without having to wait 10-20 seconds per loading times. I complained, the next day, they sent a couple of their monkeys over & as monkeys do, they stood around acting busy with the modem...if I threw a banana at them, they probably pick it up & sniff it a few times with that puzzled look in their eyes. Once finished & gone, that night, my access was reduced by half. Have to call again tomorrow & this time literally refer their technicians as "monkeys", at least as a slip.

I empathise with your situation - I need reliable internet too.

If the speed is that bad (10 seconds loading) and the service is that simian, why don't you cancel True, and sign up with TOT (who are desperate for new customers)? Good luck.

If the speed is that bad (10 seconds loading) and the service is that simian, why don't you cancel True, and sign up with TOT (who are desperate for new customers)? Good luck.

You'll need it with TOT. Worst company I have ever dealt with ever. I wouldn't use them again if they paid me.

Canceling True regardless of the bad service means a 2000 bht cancelation fee. However not the issue in the cash, but a point all the same. Though obviously when I call won't be calling names, that will only result in even slower speeds. No quality control for Farangs.

From the forum rules:

6) Do not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel. Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

mfr_closed1.gif