Food items currently on sale in Chiang Mai

BillyBobThai

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makro is selling late season California navel oranges for 75 baht per kilo. These are the most flavorful of all the California navels. These are older varieties but because they are small, they don't sell as well. Just be sure to choose oranges that are very firm, not soft.

• Like 1

I miss all the advertising flyers from the main supermarkets back home.

Every week I would go through them and check out the best deals in town.

I see nothing wrong with saving a few baht here and there. But I do not go out of my way to do it as often the cost of transportation will off set the bargain unless I buy in huge quantities.

Which is some thing I have a habit of doing and often wind up with to much food on hand.

As for sales all I can add is the various type sausages that sell for 1,140 baht a kilo sell for under 700 baht a kilo in Makro on the super highway.

Makro is selling late season California navel oranges for 75 baht per kilo. These are the most flavorful of all the California navels. These are older varieties but because they are small, they don't sell as well. Just be sure to choose oranges that are very firm, not soft.

And California (and Arizona) is selling them for 7 thb per kilo....people like the no seeds, but they are least tasty, and not good for juicing. Kind of like iceberg lettuce compared to Romaine. Let me know, when the Thai green ones are 30 thb per kg.

Cucumbers are cheap now; 15 thb per kg at a couple of thai markets.

eeeeeh. they have them in every country including Thailand. don't get out much?

Don't read Thai but thank your for your useless post.

• Like 1

You can't beat a cucumber sandwich when it's hot like this.

post-181944-0-20168900-1397376656_thumb.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I've been peeling/slicing mine and mixing with some baby red onions that were 10 thb per bag, then marinating in the 40% pure lime juice that sells for 16.5 thb per bottle. Holy crap, what happened to the cheap limes? 7 thb for a ping pong ball size? Might as well sweeten with Grand Mariner.

• Like 1

I see nothing wrong with saving a few baht here and there. But I do not go out of my way to do it as often the cost of transportation will off set the bargain unless I buy in huge quantities.

Which is some thing I have a habit of doing and often wind up with to much food on hand.

As for sales all I can add is the various type sausages that sell for 1,140 baht a kilo sell for under 700 baht a kilo in Makro on the super highway.

John, what kind of sausages sell for 1,140 bht discounted to 700 bht a Kg at Makro ?

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

And California (and Arizona) is selling them for 7 thb per kilo....people like the no seeds, but they are least tasty, and not good for juicing. Kind of like iceberg lettuce compared to Romaine. Let me know, when the Thai green ones are 30 thb per kg.

It's one thing to say you may not like the flavor, but quite another to say these orange are the least flavorful. You're dead wrong. These are the original old varieties of navel oranges. Later varieties that soaked up a lot of water were preferred by growers because they got a log bigger. But the water just diluted the juice. These old varieties have a wonderful perfumey taste and aroma. This is what oranges should taste like. As for the price in Arizona and California, what has that got to do with the prices here? You think there's some kind of annual migration of oranges? That they fly over here for free?

What's the code on them, and we'll look it up. Over 1 usd for oranges per pound is nothing to get excited about, unless you're from some place with very low agriculture output. Some folks actually pay to have them picked, because they attract rats, and no one want to eat them.

Usually on the menu at the Phoenix Jail, as they use the prisoners to glean the trees.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2014/feb/25/food-share-volunteers-glean-oranges-at-reagan/?partner=RSS

What's the code on them, and we'll look it up. Over 1 usd for oranges per pound is nothing to get excited about, unless you're from some place with very low agriculture output. Some folks actually pay to have them picked, because they attract rats, and no one want to eat them.

Usually on the menu at the Phoenix Jail, as they use the prisoners to glean the trees.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2014/feb/25/food-share-volunteers-glean-oranges-at-reagan/?partner=RSS

Get real. If you go look it up on the USDA website listing for consumer prices for fruits and vegetables, you'll find that navel oranges are selling for an average of $1.19 per pound and florida valencias are selling for 69 cents per pound. What does that tell us about their respective qualities? absolutely nothing. What's more, as I noted, there are lots of varieties of oranges out there. Some flavorless other not. You seem to take as one of your criteria how much juice an orange contains. If you're looking for juice oranges, I suppose that makes sense. But if you're looking for concentration of flavor, if anything the opposite is true. Less water yields a more concentrated flavor.

As for that ridiculous news link, it concerned volunteers gleaning oranges from 16 trees ate Reagan library. This is evidence that no one wants navel oranges?

Edited by quidnunc
  • Like 1

John, what kind of sausages sell for 1,140 bht discounted to 700 bht a Kg at Makro ?

regards Worgeordie

The sliced sausages you see at Tops and Rimping for 114 baht for 100 grams. Italian, pepper, and the like. Depends on what they have in stock at the one on the Highway. Not always the same ones.

regards Worgeordie

The sliced sausages you see at Tops and Rimping for 114 baht for 100 grams. Italian, pepper, and the like. Depends on what they have in stock at the one on the Highway. Not always the same ones.

I think the brand is Thai-German..

I've been peeling/slicing mine and mixing with some baby red onions that were 10 thb per bag, then marinating in the 40% pure lime juice that sells for 16.5 thb per bottle. Holy crap, what happened to the cheap limes? 7 thb for a ping pong ball size? Might as well sweeten with Grand Mariner.

Lucky you. Am back in Oz at the moment - here in Perth Lettuce 200 Bht Cucumber 100Bht and a single small lime 90Bht . 1k of poor quality bananas 150Bht.

best oranges here are the imported USA at 90Bht a K. These are easily the best value fruit at this time. Oh and I bought a singly red capsicum - they are 400Bht a K!!!

This Saturday, I bought 5 KG bag of beautiful medium sized beef style tomatoes for 25B at the big market (I always forget the name) next to the river and US Consulate. Last 5KG bag of large beef style tomatoes I bought for 40B took a week to use up. Since they have probably been bombarded with pesticides, I didn't need to refrigerate them. I know I can't do anything about the pesticides absorbed by the tomato but at least, I wash them thoroughly and peel off the skin.

Edited by vagabond48

we went shopping at Muang Mai market 2 days ago and limes were 10 Bath each! sellers were guarding them like bars of gold. we asked one seller what was in those bags of lime juice they sell. she said 20% lime juice and 80% chemicals and a little water. she said she wouldn't feed it to her family because she didn't think it was safe. wonder what the chemicals are that they use?

No, not at all useless. We have them sent every week from Makro and although I don't read Thai either, I can work out most of it from all the Pretty Pictures and the Prices....ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW!!!

So let me get this right, you get flyers through the door which have a photo of every item on promotion, and although the words are in Thai, and you don't read Thai, you look at the numbers next to the photo and somehow figure that that must be the price for that item! You are quite brilliant!

Northernjohn meet Torrens54, your saviour.

Is it fair to assume that you're not from the North? You're certainly not as blunt. In fact, quite sharp, by all accounts.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Limes are always expensive this time of year. So... next year ...

when limes are cheap freeze some

http://www.food.com/recipe/how-to-freeze-lemons-or-limes-410387

One thing I'm noticing at many stores is that its often cheaper to buy the small packets instead of big. Normally reasoning says buying the larger one is more economical but not always so.

Last week in Makro cheaper for a pack of litre bottles of cooking oil rather than buying the 2L or 5L

Edited by cmsally
  • Like 1

No, not at all useless. We have them sent every week from Makro and although I don't read Thai either, I can work out most of it from all the Pretty Pictures and the Prices....ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW!!!

So let me get this right, you get flyers through the door which have a photo of every item on promotion, and although the words are in Thai, and you don't read Thai, you look at the numbers next to the photo and somehow figure that that must be the price for that item! You are quite brilliant!

Is it fair to assume that you're not from the North? You're certainly not as blunt. In fact, quite sharp, by all accounts.

I didn't know you could subscribe to them. Where I come from they are delivered weekly or in the news papers which are in English and I would subscribe to. We also had a weekly free one with many of the store flyers in it. That was one of the ways they made their money.

I wonder if you have to get a Thai to fill in the subscription form?

surely you are joking aren't you?

I never bother reading those flyers anymore. The Tops flyers are quite feeble. Nestlé condensed milk now 20 b. reduced from 21b! They do buy one get one but it always seems to be of stuff I don't want one of let alone two.

The big tesco lotus start discounting there fresh food, veg and bakery stuff in the evenings. Some bargains can be had and deep discounts. You have to be lucky it's actually something you want though.

• Like 1

No I am not I am stating facts. I get no flyers delivered to my door.

I am glad that you did finally contribute some thing to the post.

Also glad to see that you are a devoted follower of mine.

I too used to love the junk mail. I always needed to shop and the junk mail helped me to decide where to go that particular week to do the big shop.

The flyers are available online, but they can be hard work at times..

http://www.tescolotus.com/promotion.php?lang=en

http://www.bigc.co.th/en/promotions/ebrochure/

http://www.centralfoodhall.com/en/brochure.html

http://www.tops.co.th/en/super/brochure.html

http://www.siammakro.co.th/en/mail_login.php

Also (possibly of interest to bargain hunters)

http://www.homepro.co.th/index.php?lang=en# (Click on Direct To Shop for brochures)

http://www.indexlivingmall.com/store/index-en.php

http://www.baanandbeyond.com/brochure.html

http://www.globalhouse.co.th/ (only in Thai, but I need the pictures and numbers)

Enjoy wai2.gif

• Like 1